Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Cycling Hoosier R6 Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I also have seen no appreciable improvement in longevity due to heat cycling. However, I do get close to 20 heat cycles on a set, but I do drive them until they cord. With a good setup, the wear is even - and even with an agressive setup, you can flip the tires. WRT cycles: the first 2-3 are fasest, the next 10-12 are pretty close to equal, and the last few are a mixed bag ending with sessions that are 1-2 seconds slower, and more difficult to drive.

IMO you can run fast lap times on the leading side of the Hoosier's slip angle range and preserve a few extra decent sessions. Ymmv.

-td

This has been my experience also.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heat Cycle

Originally Posted by vpmick
I know that Hoosier reccommends heat cycling the R6 tires, but I'm curious who is and who is not. If your are, do you think you are getting additional heat cycles out of them and if so how many extra? Also, if you are heat cycling, are you having them done by Tire Rack ( or similar supplier ) or the "old fashion way" on track. Thanks in advance for any input the group can provide.

Thx.

Mick
I do and yes I think it helps. I go by the manual where I drive a new set for 15 -20 minutes gradually increasing speed to max lap time for me. Then pit remove and leave off car at least 24 hours or more. I get approximately 15 - 20 heat cycles with the last 5-10 heat cycles reserved for DE and driven less agressively. Bob Woodman supports this procedure and that is good enough for me.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes.
And it helps in heat cycles and faster laps when still in the sweet spot of the tire.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I've pretty much run Hoosiers exclusively for the last 3 years. I ran a bunch of tires before that - but not 710s. I think VR *might* have some info on them. .
No, sorry, I have experience with Hankook Z214's, but not the KumHo V710's.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Heat Cycling Hoosier R6 Tires?