Sponsored by:

Trailex Tbolt install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailex Tbolt install question

I have a bolt together trailex and am about to install a side mount box on it. The box will be located in front of the axles and behind the tire rack. I am trying to figure out how to get the necessary T-bolts into position to mount it. I tried to angle them into the slots, but that doesn’t seem to be working. One option would be to slide them in from the rear of the trailer, but that would mean removing things such as the fenders to clear the path. That is a lot more work than I’d like. The only other option I can think of is grinding wider openings in the slots near the mounting point so I can insert the bolts. Before I start cutting metal I wanted to see if anyone knows of a better way to get the T-bolts into position.

Thanks, Dave
Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 PM
kush07
Racer

Call trailex. I spoke to them about adding a winch which would entail removing all the front end goodies. Not happening. They have special bolts. I think they call them repair bolts.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Accelerator
Racer

Look at the tongue area. There will be some things you can probabbly remove to open up some slots for the bolts.
Don't start cutting on it. I mounted a large storage box behind the tire rack and had to take off a triangular plate where the 2 frame members come together. Just study it. The whole thing is a bolt together as best I remember. You just need to figure out what to remove to get to the slots you want. I sold my trailer; otherwise I could take a look for you.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I unbolted the corner plate then slid them down the slots. I also unbolted the tire rack and slid those bolts along. It's time consuming but not too difficult. Just make sure you remember to torque them all again.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 905 Likes on 553 Posts

I don't know what size you need, but this is what you want. Drop in or roll in t nuts.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0951444&ucst=t
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Actually, if you call Trailex, they also have half nuts that have the flat part on one side only. You can pop them into the slot from anywhere...
Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Thanks very much for the info, everyone. It sounds like the maintenance half bolts are the best shortcut. I will keep them in mind for my next trailex project. I suppose I could modify the bolts I have, but they look pretty stout and I suspect that would take longer than just doing it the right way.
Rather than wait another 10 days to get the special bolts from trailex, I will pull stuff out of the way.

thanks, Dave
Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 369 Posts

My thanks too, I have winch that I want to add to mine
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

The half bolts are not necessarily a short cut. My utility box came new with the trailer installed with those bolts.

Quick Reply: Trailex Tbolt install question