Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First race in a Spec Boxster (Sebring)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Cory, if it makes you feel any better, I think there were pit stop gaffs throughout that race. I had a 5:37 pit stop due to my stop watch not working.

It was a frustrating weekend for me overall. I drove most of the weekend with two bolts missing from my suspension causing toe changes everywhere.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
It was a frustrating weekend for me overall. I drove most of the weekend with two bolts missing from my suspension causing toe changes everywhere.
When did you figure that out? Sucks! Nice seeing you.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
When did you figure that out? Sucks! Nice seeing you.
We noticed one after my off road excursion in Sprint 1 necessitated repairing a busted oil line but didn't have enough time to fix it (needed to track down a bolt). On Saturday night, after Sprint 2, we went to fix the one and noticed the second. I'm not sure if the rear toe was right at that point, but I did rattle off a slew of 33's at "enduro pace" which makes me feel a bit better than I did earlier in the weekend when I was so far off the top pace.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Yep a Flavor Flav size stop watch. Total boneheadedness on my part plain and simple. I was using it to keep track of the cut off to make my pitstop and forgot to see what it read as I crossed the pit entry.

Hunt: Like I told you at Sebring, you can put a limited slip in a stock class Boxster or a Cayman. The Cayman drivers I know are using them.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
No LSD option on the Boxster in 97-99.. and in fact, I dont think there was one until the Gen2 987! The lack of LSD is a big gripe among cayman owners as well.

On the other hand, its a spec series, so everyone has to live within the limits (tires, shock types, no lsd etc etc.)
There was a factory option for an LSD on the 97 Boxster.. as a matter of fact, I own a 97 with a factory LSD and the option tag to prove it... So does make an LSD legal in the class??

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 02-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

^^ Hang on to that piece of paper
Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the Spec Boxster class was originally a designated set of rules that PCA adopted and deferred to. Rick, that being said, those rules have morphed over the last few years and PCA can mold that class into whatever they want.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:47 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
There was a factory option for an LSD on the 97 Boxster.. as a matter of fact, I own a 97 with a factory LSD and the option tag to prove it... So does make an LSD legal in the class??
Any cance you would be willing to share the option code? Is it M224? Does the car also have traction control (M222)?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's ok if your early 97 boxster has a factory lsd. I wouldn't count on it lasting very long on the track.

Yes, PCA Stock class can install an LSD in the Boxster/Cayman/996. PCA and NASA Spec Boxster rules prohibit the use of "any" lsd. Doesn't matter if your car came with one, it still needs to come out or else go run in stock class and add 250 lbs.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul 996
NASA Spec Boxster rules prohibit the use of "any" lsd.
Where in the rules does it say this?

In the "Transmission/Differential" section of the rules it simply states that "Must remain unmodified with OEM components" and "May be rebuilt but must retain OEM gear ratios".

Under "Differentials" it simply states "Must remain within OEM tolerances".

If a car came from the factory with a LSD then I see no reason that it would not qualify as an OEM component.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 PM
jgladwill
AutoX

Just for clarification, the 97 Boxster was available with ABD (Automatic Brake Differential) this was what was considered the limited slip, it never was equiped with a mechanical LSD in the Transmission and therefore no limited slip except the originally equiped ABD is allowed.

jgladwill
Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 PM
jgladwill
AutoX

Cory,
It was great meeting You at Sebring last weekend You were great to race with, I know You were having some issue's early on but You got really quick once the car was sorted.
Charlie,
I enjoyed meeting and racing with You as well hopefully we will see each other at another track.

Best Regards,

jgladwill
Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

I was talking to Wess, the PCA national steward and he mentioned driving a Spec Bosxter with ABD. It sounds like it might be helpfull, but wonder if it would over heat the rear brakes after a while. I thought the ABD in the 993's only worked below a certain speed. Not sure if that is how the boxster ABD would work as well.

I allways thought any LSD was legal in the stock classes.

A LSD would make the spec boxster more fun but as stated in other post if everyone is the same then there is no real reason to change.

On another topic, how close is everyone to minimum weight in spec boxster? Ours is heavy and was just wondering where the others are. We still have the blower in and all stock wiring. We also need to put a lightweight battery in.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BigKraut,

Point taken. It is not spelled out. Things that make you go "hmm" ??

Cory,

On weight, right now I add some extra gas to make weight. Full size battery.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 PM
jgladwill
AutoX

Cory,
The Boxster ABD is the same system the 993 uses.
I have everything possible removed from my car and it does make weight, it does also have a lightweight battery.

jgladwill

Quick Reply: First race in a Spec Boxster (Sebring)