Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   996 3.6L street engine race car owners. Where do you shift? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/615703-996-3-6l-street-engine-race-car-owners-where-do-you-shift.html)

mark kibort 02-08-2011 09:09 PM

996 3.6L street engine race car owners. Where do you shift?

1 Attachment(s)
If you have a street powered 996 3.6L engine, where do you think its best to be shifted at, for maximum acceleration down a straight at a track near you.

as we all know, the gear spacing for 3-4th is an RPM that ends up 80% post shift RPM, and from 4-5th, 85% of that pre shifted RPM.

There is some thought, and even some lap time data that shows that the 996 engine, makes just a bunch of "noise" up top and its better to short shift by 300rpm. what do you think?? HP is generally flat up top, as torque flat and is falling as soon as 6000rpm.

There is a guy named Newton that would disagree with this technique, given that the 996 hp curve is fairly flat up top and produces more HP to redline than post shift, even in 4-5th and especially 3-4th

What do you think and do at the track?

winders 02-08-2011 10:39 PM

Mark,

Another example of how not to endear yourself to the masses....

Scott

Greg Smith 02-08-2011 10:49 PM

If anybody actually cares PM/email me an actual dynojet file and gear ratios and I'll figure it out.

I'll give a little crumb to Kibort here, do I want to calculate wheel trq or hp? :icon107:

winders 02-08-2011 11:25 PM

Greg,

Based on the article I posted in that other "Kiborted" thread, you want to "shift to maximize transmission output torque".

Here is the article link again:

http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html

Scott

Greg Smith 02-08-2011 11:29 PM

I know the answer, I figured I'd just get Kibort all worked up on HP vs torque.

mark kibort 02-09-2011 04:22 AM

You know that wheel torque (after the transmission) and HP tell the same story at ANY vehicle speed. :) So, either one will work. I have no preference.
HP is just easier to work with. less to calculate to find performance maximization. maximize HP, you maximize rear wheel torque! :cheers:

There really is nothing to figure out. just get the gear shift spacing and plot it on the HP curve. if the post shift RPM hp is the same, then you shift generally.

Originally Posted by Greg Smith (Post 8284012)
If anybody actually cares PM/email me an actual dynojet file and gear ratios and I'll figure it out.

I'll give a little crumb to Kibort here, do I want to calculate wheel trq or hp? :icon107:

mark kibort 02-09-2011 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by winders (Post 8284124)
Greg,

Based on the article I posted in that other "Kiborted" thread, you want to "shift to maximize transmission output torque".

Here is the article link again:

http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html

Scott

Which is the same as maximizing HP at any vehicle speed, by definition.

Originally Posted by winders (Post 8283986)
Mark,

Another example of how not to endear yourself to the masses....

Scott

I think the masses appreciate someone that questions authority and helps to find solutions. IF I help one interested sole in figuring out that the "noise" up top in RPM is utter BS in most cases, it is all worth the critism. Im obviously not here for a popularity contest or I wouldnt be agreeing with butt dyno boy, VR and his posey. Im only here to show what is true and correct, and learn something myself.

winders 02-09-2011 05:42 AM

Mark,

It's not the questioning that is offensive.....as I have said before, it is pointless trying to discuss anything with you.

Scott

Glen 02-09-2011 09:02 AM

Please make it stop.....

mark kibort 02-09-2011 12:47 PM

Its kind of funny with you. you get it, obviously with the article you posted, yet you have an issue "discussing" it? I dont understand. what is hard to discuss, is a topic when facts are brought up and some just says your wrong.
If you dont want to discuss, you should just get a blog.

some of these guys take this stuff WAY to seriously. news flash, this is a forum, discusson board. Like guys at the track just talking, but its in priint.
nothing more, nothing less. BUT, its a great way to research, share information, and also have a little fun doing so.

anyway, the results are in. as I thought, there are some blind sheep. :)

Originally Posted by winders (Post 8284562)
Mark,

It's not the questioning that is offensive.....as I have said before, it is pointless trying to discuss anything with you.

Scott

mglobe 02-09-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glen (Post 8284685)
Please make it stop.....

Good luck with that...

utkinpol 02-09-2011 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mark kibort (Post 8283755)
If you have a street powered 996 3.6L engine, where do you think its best to be shifted at, for maximum acceleration down a straight at a track near you.

as we all know, the gear spacing for 3-4th is an RPM that ends up 80% post shift RPM, and from 4-5th, 85% of that pre shifted RPM.

There is some thought, and even some lap time data that shows that the 996 engine, makes just a bunch of "noise" up top and its better to short shift by 300rpm. what do you think?? HP is generally flat up top, as torque flat and is falling as soon as 6000rpm.

on my m96 fall goes after 6900 rpm. there is definitely no fall at 6K, it pulls pretty equally to 7200 or so, redline is increased to 7500 but i try to upshift at 7.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/p...pictureid=8782

i run it 5k-7k usually on a track, if it goes close to 4500 it feels pretty stall.

winders 02-09-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by mark kibort (Post 8285251)
Its kind of funny with you.

One final comment to you:

It's funny with me??? You are too much! The problem you have is not whether you are right or wrong. It's how you present your opinions, right or wrong. You have the subtlety of a tornado in a trailer park.

Scott

winders 02-09-2011 01:20 PM

Moderators,

Is there an "ignore poster" feature we can get enabled?

Scott

mark kibort 02-09-2011 01:37 PM

really??? really? are you really that much of a princes.

"Daaaaad, tell jonny to stop pushing me".

Scott, here is a hint. you dont want to discuss, dont read the posts.

Originally Posted by winders (Post 8285350)
Moderators,

Is there an "ignore poster" feature we can get enabled?

Scott