Sponsored by:

Maybe obsessed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Breedoni
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe obsessed.

So I think I have "the DE bug" or w/e it is. I've been in 2 DEs, 2 AXs since I got my boxster, and I can't get enough. I am currently in the blue group, and looking to advance quickly, so that I can be in solo.

Before I continue my rant, I just want to say that when I go back out there, I am not thinking that I am better than anyone else, cause I'm not in anyway nor do I feel like I am. I really wanted to clarify that so no one gets the wrong impression.

I feel starved, I've been doing anything to get some of the feeling you get from going to a DE. I've been to monthly PCA meetings, local car meets, just recently went to the Rolex, I have been playing Forza 3 ("simulation" game), and still have this feeling of hunger. So I thought it would be a better use of my time to prepare for the next DE rather than just dream about them. I've recently tried eating right (do not like) and exercising in order to get ready lol.

I would really like to hear any and all suggestions you guys have to what I can do off the track to improve my drive skill, endurance, focus, knowledge, or anything really that could help me with future DEs, and AXs.

Thanks, Austin

Last edited by Breedoni; 02-06-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

1 answer.... Orlando Kart Center. Buy a used racing Kart (TAG not shifter) and practice/race once per week.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hire a coach, best value for your $
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Breedoni
So I think I have "the DE bug" or w/e it is. I've been in 2 DEs, 2 AXs since I got my boxster, and I can't get enough. I am currently in the blue group, and looking to advance quickly, so that I can be in solo.

Before I continue my rant, I just want to say that when I go back out there, I am not thinking that I am better than anyone else, cause I'm not in anyway nor do I feel like I am. I really wanted to clarify that so no one gets the wrong impression.

I feel starved, I've been doing anything to get some of the feeling you get from going to a DE. I've been to monthly PCA meetings, local car meets, just recently went to the Rolex, I have been playing Forza 3 ("simulation" game), and still have this feeling of hunger. So I thought it would be a better use of my time to prepare for the next DE rather than just dream about them. I've recently tried eating right (do not like) and exercising in order to get ready lol.

I would really like to hear any and all suggestions you guys have to what I can do off the track to improve my drive skill, endurance, focus, knowledge, or anything really that could help me with future DEs, and AXs.

Thanks, Austin
If you're not married, get married. Then have three kids. Then you will truly appreciate getting a few weekends for your hobbies! (I do Forza too, but if you want a better crowd, iRacing is the way to go.)
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Get some books on high performance driving. I really enjoyed 'Going Faster'.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hp18racer

+1

Read, get seat time and a coach. Also, take it easy and chill. Enjoy the journey!

Before you know it, you'll have an unstreetable car while looking for another, wheels and tires all over the place, parts accumulating in your basement, a trailer... and you'll be sleeping on your buds couch 'cause she kicked you out.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on Karting. You could do some race schools, but your better off doing DE's until your in the upper solo groups then consider hiring a coach. Think of DE as the platform for learning the fundamentals and understanding car dynamics. Once you have command of the basics you will benefit more from the a coach. Add safety to the car and leave the rest alone.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's no substitute for seat time. Do all the events you can afford.
Also have an instructor ride with you. I'm an instructor and I still do it, you'd be surprised at how much you'll get out of it.
Books are OK, but they don't drive the car for you.
I just tried pro coaching for the first time 1 week ago, it's awesome, but like they said before, in order to fully benefit from it you need to be in the more advanced stages.
One final word of advise: video. Plenty of it, from all angles. My coach had cameras all over the car, some looking ahead, one even looking at my face, to tell what I was doing with my hands/eyes, one by the front tire, to see if I was hitting my apexes, etc. It really helps.
Good luck, it's an addiction like any other. This coming from a "track junkie"!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+2 on karting, since you live in an area where it is well represented.
As mentioned earlier, TaG kart (no shifter for at least one full season), start in local club races and when your ego needs to be put in check (as only an be done when a kid who doesn't shave laps you) try some national races.

Another key advantage is wey weather experience ... You'll get plenty of lessons in balance and control.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems the DE needle is quite deep in your vien!

Originally Posted by hp18racer
+2!
I found the Speed Secrets series by Ross Bentley especially helpful.

Also - don't focus so much on advancing into the solo group just yet. You've got 2 DE's under your belt -- no offense, but you're still a newbie at this stuff, and need proper instruction. While you have that instruction, take advantage of it! Even after you go solo, take advantage of any instructor who will ride with you -- they have more experience than you, and if you have an open mind, you will always come away from it with improvements in your technique.

Some other suggestions:
- Be very hesitant to upgrade before you are ready. LEARN how to drive the car in its current setup. The 986/987 doesn't need a whole lot of tweaking in terms of suspension at your level, and you have sufficient power to whip around the track. If you have to upgrade something, then upgrade safety equipment - roll bars, fire extinguishers...etc. (But for the love of God, DON'T buy a fancy racing suit!!!)
- Stay away from R-compound tires until you are running mid-pack in the solo groups, or until you are able to keep up with similar cars that are on R-compounds.
- AX more. If your PCA region holds a car control clinic, then sign up. The more you learn about car control, the better you will be able to do performance driving.
- Read - as mentioned above.
- Karting - as mentioned above.
- Be a sponge. Learn as much as you can about everything as it relates to DE and performance driving. Attend workshops, tech sessions...etc.

Welcome to the addication!
-Z-man.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Buy a low powered track car. You will learn MUCH faster.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Buy a low powered track car. You will learn MUCH faster.
+++

I learned a lot more driving an 87 targa than I did in my '05 997
Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

I have the bug same as you. THe suggestions are great. I was thinking if I get another good year...maybe buying a 944 or 914 just for DE. Let the 996 be for special days only and DD.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Iracing is a powerful learning tool that should not be underestimated. The skippy will teach you a lot about car control and "balance". A half-day on a skid pad would also be a good learning experience. Learning how to control a car at the limit should be priority #1 before you worry about going faster. Speed secrets and Going faster are important books to read.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Tracks Days are an absolute blast (I did 17 of them in 2010), but expensive repairs have a way of bringing (some of) us back down to earth real fast.

Quick Reply: Maybe obsessed.