Sponsored by:

Top Gear's Mexican brouhaha

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear's Mexican brouhaha

The BBC's irreverent and high-testosterone motoring show Top Gear has landed the BBC in diplomatic hot water after host Richard Hammond branded a Mexican car "lazy, feckless and flatulent" and said it mirrored Mexico's national characteristics.

The Mexican ambassador to Britain has now called for an apology and has written to the BBC protesting the show's "outrageous, vulgar and inexcusable insults."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ear-host-95308
Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
The BBC's irreverent and high-testosterone motoring show Top Gear has landed the BBC in diplomatic hot water after host Richard Hammond branded a Mexican car "lazy, feckless and flatulent" and said it mirrored Mexico's national characteristics.

The Mexican ambassador to Britain has now called for an apology and has written to the BBC protesting the show's "outrageous, vulgar and inexcusable insults."

Hammond was way off the mark and should be ashamed ....

If the car mirrored the population's character... we all know it'll be armor-plated, contain gun lockers and have built in ammo boxes.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Message to the Mexican Ambassador - "...Hey Jose, grow a set."

C.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was waiting for this to grow into an international incident when I watched it sunday. What is it they say, "Any publicity is good publicity."?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim

Hammond just shows what real free speech is and what freedom is about.
On USA TV it would be censored off way before show would be aired. Censorship sucks. I really wonder how anybody can call this country we live in a 'land of the free'. 'Free' to do what exactly, to pay our mortgages and file taxes? It is just one sad joke...

PS. and for petes sake, I WANT to have a right to smoke my freaking cuban cigar in the coffee shop. Can I get at least THIS freedom back, please? For how long should I fly to Paris every time to be able to enjoy this? just a tough day at work, can`t wait for weekend to come...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Hammond just shows what real free speech is and what freedom is about.
On USA TV it would be censored off way before show would be aired. Censorship sucks. I really wonder how anybody can call this country we live in a 'land of the free'. 'Free' to do what exactly, to pay our mortgages and file taxes? It is just one sad joke...

PS. and for petes sake, I WANT to have a right to smoke my freaking cuban cigar in the coffee shop. Can I get at least THIS freedom back, please? For how long should I fly to Paris every time to be able to enjoy this? just a tough day at work, can`t wait for weekend to come...
Don't like it here? Leave. Today.

To the mexicans: stop being such insecure pussies.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Just make sure you take off your belt and shoes prior to your full body scan on your way out the door...

I kid, I kid.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

It's not censorship until a government unilaterally penalizes or bans it. It's irreverent. In some contexts it would be inappropriate. But you can't blame the ambassador for sticking up for his s*&thole of a country. That's his job (which he thankfully gets to do from the UK).
Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry you can not smoke your cigar in a Parisian coffee shop either. You'll have to try somewhere else.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
It's not censorship until a government unilaterally penalizes or bans it.
BS. I read just the other day on another message board that the First Amendment guaranteed me the right to say whatever I wanted on a privately owned forum.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How is this worse than when JC talked about the Korean's eating dogs? It caused much less stir than this....

This is the reason TG is such a good show. Not because of racial humor (I love that too), but because they aren't afraid to offend anyone.

Last edited by m73m95; 02-02-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Have you read your FB postings for the past 24 months?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Have you read your FB postings for the past 24 months?
Sure. There is a big difference between deriding my country, and criticizing some of its politard leadership. I have never derided my country, nor would I. I have shed blood for this country, and would do so again, regardless of which clownshoe is running things in D.C.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Hammond said was some hilariously racist **** which had me laughing like an imbecile.

The ambassador can complain till hes blue in the ***** but until Mexico takes over the UK they can cry about it.

Send him tacos and gordidas and maybe he'll say something nice next time..
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ubercooper
What Hammond said was some hilariously racist **** which had me laughing like an imbecile.

The ambassador can complain till hes blue in the ***** but until Mexico takes over the UK they can cry about it.

Send him tacos and gordidas and maybe he'll say something nice next time..

With respect, it was not in any way "racist". Mexicans are not a race any more than Americans are. In fact, the word Mexico contains "mex" which means "mix", representing their mix of races & cultures.

Which makes it all the funnier when the Perpetually Outraged (not you) play the "race card".

Quick Reply: Top Gear's Mexican brouhaha