Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Rolex 24 command center

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

What the heck happened to the flying Lizard car?? It was in 11th place overall. I go out to get a coffee and Sunday paper return to watch the race and the car is gone I have been following this car since driver Johannes van Overbeek was one of my very first driving school instructors way back in 1990 at Lime Rock Park. He was then racing in the world challenge series in a BMW M3 for a small local team.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Lizard DP car caught on fire. right side of engine...n other news, no interviews...nothing.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUMMER!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Lizard DP car caught on fire. right side of engine...n other news, no interviews...nothing.
Thanks mdrums, yeh they showed it on a re-play. That sucks, I was hoping they would finish. A great effort considering it was their first attempt at the Daytona 24.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:51 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chopperzz
Montoya is channeling his NASCAR bumper car experience
+1 not impressed at all with the way Montoya drove this race and just pushed others out of the way leaving a wake of damage. Yep he's an official CRAPCAR driver now thats for sure.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MHC2S
+1 not impressed at all with the way Montoya drove this race and just pushed others out of the way leaving a wake of damage. Yep he's an official CRAPCAR driver now thats for sure.
I totally agree with you. Both Chip cars were using the same tactics and it got them on the top steps, brutal.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

TRG and Andy, Spenser, Wolf in the #67 from last to 1st,none better!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
TRG and Andy, Spenser, Wolf in the #67 from last to 1st,none better!!!
Who needs a clutch? What did Porsche do bring back the dreaded rubber center?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Did they hire the IRL fire crew to work at the race? They way those guys responded was pitiful.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

^^ yeah, that was ridiculous, they couldn't even find the fire!

I liked Pumpelly's call to the pits during his stint where he said "the car sounds like it is going to fall apart at any moment". His cc says "don't worry, the cars just feeling a bit of fatigue after 21 hours". Classic. All in all, some great action on track.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the fire crew needs some work. They were standing by the car looking at the car oblivious to the flames underneath. I wonder where they thought the smoke was coming from.

Glad I`m a Ganassi fan. Way to go Scott and Memo. What a drive by Joey Hand to make up so much time in one stint.

Good drive Andy Lally. Not a big fan of TRG but I really like to watch Andy work.

Too bad Brumos had the fluid leak. They would have been in the hunt for sure.

So happy to watch some familiar racing. Let the games begin.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

And for some different partisan thoughts:

Fun race. Watched most of the broadcasted Speed telecast - not my most productive weekend ever, but gets the juices flowing this time of year looking outside at all the snow!

Lizards - felt lot's of pride running around Montreal this week in my Flying Lizards team pit jacket. What a qualifying, followed by disastrous dull-handed driving by owner Seth. Feel so sorry for Joerg and Pat. Such a great team (I assume Blam still runs strategy?), a really fast car, only to be derailed by an owners pride. If you want to win, you don't put Penske in the drivers seat. Or Ganassi. Or even Dyson. Not sure if it would have made a difference in the outcome with the fire at the end, but it was an unnecessary early demise.

TRG - speaking of owners that CAN drive, Kevin Buckler is quite happy to assemble, coordinate, manage and WIN. Great operation, great drive by Lally and the gang.

Ganassi - speaking of tool owners, I spent most races hoping these clowns do not win. Not a classy organization, in my opinion. Loved the pre-recorded comments by the winning car's unwashed engineer/strategist, throwing last year's driver under the bus for an honest pit error in 2010. You win endurance racing as a team, but apparently you can lose as an individual at Ganassi. I like Franchitti and Rahal, just a hard team to root for.

Final comment on clowns, loved seeing the interview with 3rd place Action Express. Three humble, classy and well-groomed drivers are interviewed at the finish. JC France, knuckles dragging low as usual, plays his usual part perfectly sunglasses and all. What an *** clown.

Final comment, as close as the race was in the end, keep in mind this France-Family manufactured competition. The yellow flag regs that allow cars so far back to catch up a dozen times in a race makes for exciting finishes, but you don't really know if the best car actually won.

Best,

Matt
Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would have loved to see the Lizards do better. Bergmeister had the fastest race lap, and i'm sure the fire was a legacy of earlier incidents. Maybe they'll bring two DPs next season
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

CJ - what was the deal with the open sky BMW? Speed showed the car going back to the garage but never explained what happened.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
And for some different partisan thoughts:

Fun race. Watched most of the broadcasted Speed telecast - not my most productive weekend ever, but gets the juices flowing this time of year looking outside at all the snow!

Lizards - felt lot's of pride running around Montreal this week in my Flying Lizards team pit jacket. What a qualifying, followed by disastrous dull-handed driving by owner Seth. Feel so sorry for Joerg and Pat. Such a great team (I assume Blam still runs strategy?), a really fast car, only to be derailed by an owners pride. If you want to win, you don't put Penske in the drivers seat. Or Ganassi. Or even Dyson. Not sure if it would have made a difference in the outcome with the fire at the end, but it was an unnecessary early demise.

TRG - speaking of owners that CAN drive, Kevin Buckler is quite happy to assemble, coordinate, manage and WIN. Great operation, great drive by Lally and the gang.

Ganassi - speaking of tool owners, I spent most races hoping these clowns do not win. Not a classy organization, in my opinion. Loved the pre-recorded comments by the winning car's unwashed engineer/strategist, throwing last year's driver under the bus for an honest pit error in 2010. You win endurance racing as a team, but apparently you can lose as an individual at Ganassi. I like Franchitti and Rahal, just a hard team to root for.

Final comment on clowns, loved seeing the interview with 3rd place Action Express. Three humble, classy and well-groomed drivers are interviewed at the finish. JC France, knuckles dragging low as usual, plays his usual part perfectly sunglasses and all. What an *** clown.

Final comment, as close as the race was in the end, keep in mind this France-Family manufactured competition. The yellow flag regs that allow cars so far back to catch up a dozen times in a race makes for exciting finishes, but you don't really know if the best car actually won.

Best,

Matt
I'm on the same page, Matt.

Can't chear for the Ganassi group. Never have. Never will. I do respect the drivers of the 01 car, can't say the same about the 02 car.... WTF is up with JPM anyways?!

Quick Reply: 2011 Rolex 24 command center