Sponsored by:

Insurance for car stored in trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
txhansen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance for car stored in trailer

I have seen a number of threads on storage, paddock and transport insurance but I have started storing my car in my enclosed trailer and now I am struggling to find someone to insure it. Any of you doing similar and have a provider at a reasonable cost?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Brinkley
Pro

I'm in the same boat and would be interested in what others are doing as well.

Hopefully someone will add to the conversation.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought my policy with Heacock Classic covered the the spec boxster when it's in the trailer but now I'll check.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
I thought my policy with Heacock Classic covered the the spec boxster when it's in the trailer but now I'll check.
They ask where the car is to be stored when you sign up for their policies. It should be on the policy IIRC.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not aware that any insurance company covered it in the trailer unless the trailer was itself in your garage.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Insurance Program for PCA members: http://pca-tsp.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Hagarty just gave me a quote for storage, paddock and trailer insurance on the cup and the spec car...stated value, pretty reasonable. The spec car is till street legal so they would do comprehensive as well, so pretty much all insured except for during a race.

This fills a weird gap between my homeowners (excludes cars) and auto (excludes racecars) and the trailer insurance.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
txhansen
Advanced

Originally Posted by consolidated
I had them and found that they cover it if it is in transit but not stored in the trailer. When i first started the policy i stored in a garage and changed and hence the dilemma.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I inquired at Heacock, they were very specific that the car could not be stored in the trailer and had to be in a locked garage when not at the track. They wanted a photo of the car in the garage to confirm where it would be stored when not at the track.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:44 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Easy

Originally Posted by txhansen
I have seen a number of threads on storage, paddock and transport insurance but I have started storing my car in my enclosed trailer and now I am struggling to find someone to insure it. Any of you doing similar and have a provider at a reasonable cost?
Hagerty Insurance is one of several insurers willing to insure most any race car in good condition. I insure my 2001 996 for $35,000 and it is covered for Comp and Collision with a $1000 deductible. My car is not licensed for road use so I have no Liability The only place it is NOT covered is while driving on the track either in DE or racing. It is covered in the Paddock, in the trailer, in the garage, basically anywhere. Premium is $637 per year.

In Virginia I can have this placed. Most agents (except State Farm) should be able to handle this for anyone. I have attached policy info for your review.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Hagerty Auto Dec[1].pdf (69.2 KB, 904 views)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coverage

Originally Posted by CWhaley
I was not aware that any insurance company covered it in the trailer unless the trailer was itself in your garage.
When you have Comprehensive and Collison coverage it applies anywhere. Just like your Personal Auto Policy, Comp and Collison is not limited to where it is stored. It is limited to jurisdiction such as Canada, United States, and Puerto Rico. Mexico? Forget it!

It is possible some insurers may have limitations, but that is not the norm.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Would it be fair to say that, "Those whom would store the car in an enclosed trailer" would not have comp or collision?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM
txhansen
Advanced

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Would it be fair to say that, "Those whom would store the car in an enclosed trailer" would not have comp or collision?
Correct, in fact i do not think you can get comp and collision on a car that is not registered for road use. My Spec Barbie fits into the not registered category.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 AM
DanR
Drifting

I also use Hsgartey agreed value, storage, transport and padock coverage.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:47 AM
avidtest
Racer

I just received a quote from Hagarty. Car is a vintage race car, w/ agreed value of $45K. It's stored in an enclosed trailer at a storage facility and is covered in the policy. The rate is very reasonable at $300/yr.

Quick Reply: Insurance for car stored in trailer