Sponsored by:

2011 LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2011 LeMans

So who's going to cover the LeMans this year? No mention of it in the crappy ALMS announcement. Is it going to be on SPEED? I would like to see that this year and that won't be possible if it's on ESPN3.com... Guess I'll be watching more Grand-Am this year. And, they will win the Sportscar battle, as ALMS will die as sponsors pull out because they have no viewers. rolleyes:
Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 PM
TXDriver
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you missed the info. ABC and ESPN2 for the most part. ALMS was growing and continues to grow this year.

Cheers,
Jim

While enthusiasm has run high on the Series’ announcement regarding its new television agreement with ESPN and ABC, several questions have surfaced that are worthy of clarification. As with anything new and different, we expected that. Therefore, the following summary has been developed to further explain some of the provisions of the agreement as well as to reinforce the heightened value of the ESPN/ABC package. A more comprehensive FAQ about the agreement will be available permanently on americanlemans.com shortly.

You can listen to Wednesday`s media call with executives from the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron and Intersport, along with represenative sponsor executives, team owners and drivers. A transcript is also available for reading.
THE NEW ESPN/ABC PACKAGE …
• Provides the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón a relationship with the worldwide leader in sports television on both network and cable broadcast outlets, and the exploding world of broadband digital media.

This new three-year alliance will dramatically expand the Series’ audience with more and better exposure on the dominant sports television networks in America - establishing ABC/ESPN as the destination for the best sports car racing in the world.

ESPN is the number one sports media brand in the world and fourth overall behind the NFL, NBA and Nike. Its multiple sports networks rank among the most widely distributed not only in the U.S. but the world. In addition, the relationship may have the potential to garner attention from other ESPN-related entities as well such as ESPN.com, SportsCenter & ticker, ESPN the Magazine, ESPN Radio, ESPNEWS, etc.

• Creates a multi-platform distribution of our product – network TV, cable TV, Internet – that is “the future” of sports television.

ABC telecasts will reach 115.9 million households, ESPN2’s broadcasts and four encore presentations of ABC shows will reach another 99.7 million households, and ESPN3.com live events will reach 65 million households. Each race receives a fully produced live telecast as well as a widely distributed production via network TV (ABC) or one of the most widely distributed cable networks (ESPN2) in the US.

ESPN3.com’s live event streaming (a.k.a. Web TV) is rapidly evolving to become a mainstream alternative to traditional cable television. With numerous options such as Google TV, Xbox gaming stations or simply connecting a (broadband connected) laptop or PC to a television (there are many ways to do it), fans will be able to view the ALMS through ESPN3.com on their home televisions. In addition, all the fully produced television productions of each race will be available live via americanlemans.com.

• Places the ALMS in a leadership position with new emerging technologies.

Many within the television and communications industry opine that as important as embracing these new technologies are now, it will be imperative for the future. Just as the Series has taken the lead with such initiatives as green racing and advanced, innovative automotive technologies, we are embracing an emerging technology platform that will eventually become mainstream.

While being on the forefront of new technology is exciting, it is important to understand that traditional network and cable television is still KING, and that is why our ABC/ESPN2 placements are so significant and valuable. The ESPN3 element confirms our foothold with the rapidly emerging TV technology that has outstanding future potential. Our new TV and digital platforms have us ideally positioned with today’s worldwide leaders of sports television AND the benchmark example of the future.

Here are a few examples of what we mean…

See No. 1 Top Technology Trends – Erik Schonfield’s “Seven Technologies That Will Rock 2011", Jan. 2, TechCrunch
USA Today – “Web and other options are shaking up how we watch TV”, David Lieberman, Jan. 4, 2011:

Any news search of Web TV offers up similar hits as well.

• Enhances already significant international reach.

Our new agreement with ESPN opens additional opportunities via ESPN International and its tremendous reach. Additionally, ALMS races will be available around the world via various ESPN Web-based platforms such as ESPN360 and ESPN Player, and all races telecasts will also be available on americanlemans.com – a major upgrade from two events in 2010 to all events in 2011 and beyond.

The ALMS continues to own/package and distribute its own international rights – the same as in past years. ALMS and its international partner Greenlight-TV are continuing to work on distribution agreements with a wide variety of international outlets around the world such as MotorsTV, Fox Latin American Networks, Fox Sports Net in Australia and Middle East, etc. Now that the ALMS’ domestic TV distribution agreement is in place, ALMS and Greenlight-TV are hard at work to finish agreements that can be either a) live and in their entirety, b) tape delayed post-produced 90-minute or two-hour race telecasts based on shows that air in the U.S. or c) customized highlight shows of varying lengths depending placement needs in markets or regions around the world. The most popular highlight program length is 60 minutes. Last year, ALMS highlight programs reached more than 600 million households around the world and that plan will continue via Greenlight-TV in 2011.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get to France during the race, don't expect to see much coverage of the race unless you get the above feeds. I've been amazed that there is so little coverage of this Intl. Event by the French when the event is held in their own country!!!

Thank goodness we have Speed, as imperfect as it may be!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXDriver
I think you missed the info. ABC and ESPN2 for the most part. ALMS was growing and continues to grow this year.
<delete-PR stuff>
Cheers,
Jim
Hi Jim, I had seen the PR announcement and it doesn't seem like a good thing to me. Most of the races shown on TV will be tape delayed and edited to 90-120 minutes. I'm not going to watch a tape delayed, condensed, docu-drama of the 12-hrs of Sebring or Petite LeMans. Full live coverage is only going to be on ESPN3.Com, so that kills it for me. And, from what I hear the resolution of other sports featured there is low.

Also, I haven't seen any mention of who will be covering the 24-hrs of LeMans. It doesn't appear to be mentioned in any of the ALMS info and that is what I was asking about.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Bump.
Still trying to find out if it will be aired...?

Quick Reply: 2011 LeMans