Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kart racing with my 10 year old son

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like great fun - my son is 7 and our local kart track requires kids to be 8 - can't wait.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJP911
Sounds like great fun - my son is 7 and our local kart track requires kids to be 8 - can't wait.
What track is that?

50cc Kid Kart is 5-8 and nationally recognized.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM
kush07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a blast.

I'd like to bring some buddies to a kart track this summer. We're in Westchester NY. I see OVRP and Englishtown listed above, and I know about NJPM. Anybody have suggestions about whats the best? My friends have no race/DE experience, and evening activities definitely a consideration.

Scott
Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're in Westchester then OVRP is best bet. I'm out of touch with their rental program but call them and ask about status of arrive-and-drive. NJMP has the most evolved pure track-operated arrive and drive. Best outsourced arrive and drive would be at Englishtown, google 'Full Tilt Racing' and talk to Keith Raffa. Mike Doty racing could set you and friends up at any track, would be the high end solution, but for what you describe, OVRP or NJMP are likely the most turnkey.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

OVRP has night racing.
Call Tim Hannen at the track.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
G forces combined with improperly fitted seat and lack of proper rib vest.
Yup. The lazy bums at a local track (MRP) sent me out in an oversized seat and their cheapo rib vests. One inside apex berm = rib fractures and multiple years of discomfort. Should have sued them for their idiocy. I was a nOOb but they should know better.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM
kush07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
OVRP has night racing.
Call Tim Hannen at the track.
Originally Posted by BrandonH
If you're in Westchester then OVRP is best bet. I'm out of touch with their rental program but call them and ask about status of arrive-and-drive. NJMP has the most evolved pure track-operated arrive and drive. Best outsourced arrive and drive would be at Englishtown, google 'Full Tilt Racing' and talk to Keith Raffa. Mike Doty racing could set you and friends up at any track, would be the high end solution, but for what you describe, OVRP or NJMP are likely the most turnkey.
Thanks guys. I'll check them out.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...l?mod=ITP_AHED

Wall Street Journal front page fluff story on the explosion of karting in UK and Europe among kids
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...l?mod=ITP_AHED

Wall Street Journal front page fluff story on the explosion of karting in UK and Europe among kids
i keep reading stories how 4 year olds start doing it but here in MA apparently age limit is 9?
I looked back and forth to find any venue to make my son a birthday present for his 5th but seems like no luck. Closest one is in NY, way too far.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i keep reading stories how 4 year olds start doing it but here in MA apparently age limit is 9?
I looked back and forth to find any venue to make my son a birthday present for his 5th but seems like no luck. Closest one is in NY, way too far.
I am unaware of any specific state laws, although RJs 'F1' track may have it's own rules. WKA regs require you to be 8 yrs old to begin racing in 'Cadet' classes. However there is an 'exhibition' class called 'kid karts' that begins at age 5, and is generally mobbed whereever they run. Here in NJ at in NY plenty of kids enter Cadet racing with several years of lapping under their belts.

Lewis can comment specifically on MA, but I know WKA doesn't have much presence up there, and F1 is more or less a Rotax community, and may not have a kid kart program...

PS: A ready willing and able dad who can't find a way to get his boy a kart is a social outrage and demands justice. Hope you find a way!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

F1Outdoors had a 50cc Kid Kart class/competitors at one point.
I remember helping the parents of a driver (McKenzie was her name, kart number 4 7/8...her age) by having her follow my son so she would feel comfortable and not get lost. Once she passed my son (who was fouling plugs trying to go slow enough for a Kid Kart to follow), she was on her own.

They may not get any more of those kids, but I can't see them saying "no", since the Kid Karts used to run during the breaks and during lunch when the "big" karts were off track.

OVRP in NY would be worth a day trip, lots of kids out there and it gives you a chance to mingle with karting parents.

Quick Reply: Kart racing with my 10 year old son