Sponsored by:

Kart racing with my 10 year old son

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if its been answered but is the injury to the ribs from the corner loading (g forces) or from impact?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine was four when he first tried it. He showed some promise but we never kept up with it. Now, at 10, he is on his skateboard 24/7.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine at 4.5 has had the kart on his radar for a long while and will be getting one this spring most likely. I just need to find one that is reasonably priced (if anyone has one ). This will also mean that I'll be picking up a TAG/Rotax at the same time to share the track. That slope will be painful as well...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam N
Sorry if its been answered but is the injury to the ribs from the corner loading (g forces) or from impact?
G forces combined with improperly fitted seat and lack of proper rib vest.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Mine at 4.5 has had the kart on his radar for a long while and will be getting one this spring most likely. I just need to find one that is reasonably priced (if anyone has one ). This will also mean that I'll be picking up a TAG/Rotax at the same time to share the track. That slope will be painful as well...
Depending on class participation, he can start in Rotax Micromax and you can buy a Sr. Rotax....that way you can share fuel, oil, tires, spare parts, etc....since it is (essentially) the same engine.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ltc
Depending on class participation, he can start in Rotax Micromax and you can buy a Sr. Rotax....that way you can share fuel, oil, tires, spare parts, etc....since it is (essentially) the same engine.
Sadly were in a bit of a donut hole here for sprint karting so I'm more interested in simple easy track time. Open testing in Charlotte and whatever I can get up at vir will have to do until mooresville gets up and running.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
G forces combined with improperly fitted seat and lack of proper rib vest.
In addition, I'm not the poster child of perfect fitness....... And to top it all off its a great idea to do multiple 10 minute sessions, over a few days, to start off with. My idea of jumping in for a 30 minute run, 2 times in a row, without some endurance training is also far from brillliant

But its such a rush!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Karters grow up

We had fun karting for ~6 years a great time of bonding a learning all kinds of lessons about racing and about life. He graduated to cars at 16 in '09, and just finished a season of SCCA nationals. For '11 it's the F1600 Pro Series.
I haven't driven a racecar since '04 but that's OK!
Attached Images   

Last edited by BrandonH; 01-31-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I almost pulled the trigger on a 98 VD earlier this week with the intent of making it a Fit motored car. Common sense and the ability to run enduros got the better of me.

Good luck in Rand's series. Lots of track time.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Started with Briggs with both of my sons (cadet to start with which they quickly grew out of) and ended with 125 shifters. One of the neatest things I ever did was line up next to my son for our standing start (both in 80 shifters at the time)- and yes he beat me to the first turn. Kids have NO fear!!
Shifters got VERY expensive (motors were more than for a spec Miata) but damn they were fun. I did bruise or break a couple ribs before I got a good rib belt- it is the G forces!!
And you never know who you might run into... a few years ago at Norway outside of Chicago- my younger son ran against Graham- I stood at the wall with Bobby while we watched the race together (he was team principal at Jag F1 at the time)
Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

Slippery slope- first test with a new ICC shifter- brought along the tuner to help set it up. We actually saved this kart and get it out every so often for some quick thrills as we luckily have a 1/2 mile long driveway...
Still have my Simplex go-kart I got in the early 60's - had a West Bend 580 - pretty quick for the times...

Old 01-29-2011, 03:50 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
And you never know who you might run into... a few years ago at Norway outside of Chicago- my younger son ran against Graham-
You'll see the pros at karting nationals fairly frequently. Mostly ovals if we are talking NASCAR guys, but the last kart race my son did at Daytona in 2008 his TAG field included Dan Wheldon and Jamie McMurray, and we shared tent with AJ Almendinger. All of whom got waxed by our other team-mate, Michele Bumgarner.
You really see the fragmentation of the US racing scene as the kids graduate from karts: they scatter. We still see a few kids we raced with; Patrick Gallagher won the Runoffs this year in F500 and this season's F1600 field will have at least two kids we know from karting. But in general they are all over the place, running ovals, Skippy series, F2000 Canada, FF UK, SM, etc etc.

This new FF pro series could be great if early indications hold up, big boost from Honda and it fills a void in the range of options, while re-energizing one of the oldest and most storied racecar classes.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:53 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I almost pulled the trigger on a 98 VD earlier this week with the intent of making it a Fit motored car. Common sense and the ability to run enduros got the better of me.

Good luck in Rand's series. Lots of track time.
We opted to keep the Kent for this season; just no energy to both campaign a new series and start all over with car development. But long term the Fit alternative is so exciting and energizing for the class. Sorry you resisted your impulses but really you can't go wrong in SRF.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by BrandonH
We opted to keep the Kent for this season; just no energy to both campaign a new series and start all over with car development. But long term the Fit alternative is so exciting and energizing for the class. Sorry you resisted your impulses but really you can't go wrong in SRF.
I think Eric Langbein is doing a 97K chassis so the grunt work will be done. The 98 chassis I was looking at were FC cars so it would be able to use the 99+ kit from HPD.

I'll say hey at the VIR race.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Ruebens Barrichello was at the last round of the Florida Winter Tour in KZ2, Schumacher was at last year's SuperNats and you'll also see some big names at the Rock Island Grand Prix and some other big national races during the season.

Quick Reply: Kart racing with my 10 year old son