Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pagid pads, RS-14 VS RS-15 ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Pagid pads, RS-14 VS RS-15 ???

I'm about to change brake pads on my 993, I have had several sets of pagid RS14 Black, and these pads have been working very well for me. However, pagid has resently come out with a higher friction RS-15 Gray.
ARE THERE ANYONE WITH ANY EXPERIENCE OR COMMENTS ON THESE?
*Pros
*Cons
*Comments

See description from Pagid:
#
RS-14-Black - This is a high friction value ceramic compound with very good modulation, high fade resistance, low heat conductivity, and a good wear rate up to a constant temperature of 650 degrees Celsius (1202 degrees Fahrenheit). It is kind on discs, (with visible grooving, but no tendency to crack discs). Applications: Super Touring, WSC, Trans Am, and Rallye.

#
RS-15 Gray - Very high torque compound. It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear. Needs finesse to avoid over braking the car. Good release characteristic. Although the RS15 has a very good modulation (controllability) it might have an excessive bite for some applications, as lightweight cars or cars with boosted brakes.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:26 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

I use the Rs-14s too. I'd say if you're happy with the 14s, stick with 'em. They are already pretty high torque. Last thing you need is a pad that wears out faster and is more difficult to modulate, especially if your car is still relatively softly sprung & heavy (meaning that managing weight transfer is really important). I don't know if that applies to your car, but those are my 2 cents. I'llbe sticking with the 14's.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly911
#
RS-15 Gray - Very high torque compound. It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear. Needs finesse to avoid over braking the car. Good release characteristic. Although the RS15 has a very good modulation (controllability) it might have an excessive bite for some applications, as lightweight cars or cars with boosted brakes.
-----------------
Blacks are high temp, high torque, and lockup too easily if unfamiliar with their power.

What exactly does "good release characteristics" mean?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 15's really should not be used on your car unless you are a Pro level race driver or have the skill to take advantage of the Higher Torgue... Many people will over brake with them!
Stick with the 14's.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Asked about going from Black to Gray some years ago. No one answered that they had done it on a p-car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=15894

I ended up running Hawk DTC70s which feel like a higher torque pad than the pagid blacks. Unless you use a lot of finese with the brakes and do a lot of modulation, I dont think there would be issue with trying the Grays for a little more bite.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

The RS14s are great pads. Sounds like you are happy with them, so I wouldn't fix what isn't broken. The RS15 on a car with boosted brakes will be tricky to modulate. I know one person who has used them and it was on a B5 Audi S4, that was stripped down higher than stock HP and he had removed the brake booster and ABS. You wouldn't have known it based on the way the RS15s slowed the car.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:20 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow Mark's advice
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
The RS14s are great pads. Sounds like you are happy with them, so I wouldn't fix what isn't broken. The RS15 on a car with boosted brakes will be tricky to modulate. I know one person who has used them and it was on a B5 Audi S4, that was stripped down higher than stock HP and he had removed the brake booster and ABS. You wouldn't have known it based on the way the RS15s slowed the car.
OT for sure, but I wonder how that car braked 'feel' wise. My B5 S4 Avant's brakes are on-off switches. Love the car, always hated the brakes. Keep it around as its so much fun to drive on 55-65mph SL roads..

I use the Blacks as well. They sure do groove the stock rotors and I dont find them overly hard to modulate. OP: If you try the new pads be sure to post up your impressions. I dont need anything further or better but would like to hear your impressions..
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 PM
egress91506
Advanced

Originally Posted by cello
OT for sure, but I wonder how that car braked 'feel' wise. My B5 S4 Avant's brakes are on-off switches. Love the car, always hated the brakes. Keep it around as its so much fun to drive on 55-65mph SL roads..

I use the Blacks as well. They sure do groove the stock rotors and I dont find them overly hard to modulate. OP: If you try the new pads be sure to post up your impressions. I dont need anything further or better but would like to hear your impressions..
OT even more. I suspect the S4 is running non-stock brakes. The pad choices for the original brakes were pretty limited and pads were a pain to swap out. I also have a B5 S4 Avant and have Stoptechs with floating rotors. I can't say the pedal feel is anywhere as good as a Porsche's, but it did help. Fun car.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

He had pulled the stock front calipers and put on Brembos that took the Ferrari F40/F50 pad and larger rotors on the front. The stock calipers would cook 4 little pads that the stock calipers took. I don't remember why, but he pulled the booster and the ABS.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 PM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Fly911
I'm about to change brake pads on my 993, I have had several sets of pagid RS14 Black, and these pads have been working very well for me. However, pagid has resently come out with a higher friction RS-15 Gray.
ARE THERE ANYONE WITH ANY EXPERIENCE OR COMMENTS ON THESE?
*Pros
*Cons
*Comments

See description from Pagid:
#
RS-14-Black - This is a high friction value ceramic compound with very good modulation, high fade resistance, low heat conductivity, and a good wear rate up to a constant temperature of 650 degrees Celsius (1202 degrees Fahrenheit). It is kind on discs, (with visible grooving, but no tendency to crack discs). Applications: Super Touring, WSC, Trans Am, and Rallye.

#
I would like to throw in my $.02;

We have found that there are to significant factors to consider when going to a very high torque compound such as the RS-15 gray. Those factors are the weight of the car and the tires being used. More specifically, the car should weigh over 3000 pounds and be riding on racing slicks before you upgrade to gray. I'm afraid anything short of that combination could cause you Excess bite.

Chuck
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RS15s....whoa they have a TON of torque...stick with the RS14s!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks guys! My 993 weighs 2,700 lbs (plus driver), and I'm riding on Toyo R888 tires, and I understand the RS-15 may over-brake the car. So I will stick to the well proven RS-14. I also do occational week end rides, and the RS-15 would be an overkill here.

Quick Reply: New Pagid pads, RS-14 VS RS-15 ???