Sponsored by:

ISAAC VS traditional HANS Device

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 339 Posts
Smile ISAAC VS traditional HANS Device

I have been using a HANS for years...then an opportunity came up to get a used ISAAC Device. At the time I was running an EVO 2 seat which provides minimal side impact protection for the neck and head. The ISSAC claims for front as well as side protection are impressive...they have the data. I sold my HANS and bought an ISSAC.

My seat is older, time to upgrade. I am looking at a Glass Fiber Reinforced Recaro Pro Racer HANS seat with head and neck side protection. Recaro says this seat is designed to work in unison with a HANS device and HANS belts.

I was thinking I should go back to the traditional HANS device with this seat...damn, mo money.....but knowing how well the ISSAC has worked for others, I am tempted to stay with the ISSAC.

Anybody give me their $0.12 on this?

Thanks,
Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The only reason I switched from my ISSAC to a HANS was do to PCA Club racing rules. Stick with the ISSAC if you have the option. Just my $0.02 (can't give $0.12 due to the economy )
I still have my ISSAC on the shelf.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Professor HANS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In researching the best safety equipment for yourself you may also wish to review what experts in other fields consider to be leading technology:

NASA Completes First Test for Space-Age HANS

Atlanta, Ga. (Dec. 21, 2010) What do HANS Device inventor Dr. Robert Hubbard, NASA and NASCAR have in common? All three are collaborating in an effort to improve crash restraints for astronauts.

The first series of crash sled tests was recently undertaken at Wright Patterson Air Force Base using a dummy fitted with a prototype restraint for use during NASA launches and landings. Dustin Gohmert of the Crew and Thermal Systems Division of NASA directed the tests.

The new head restraint resulted from a collaboration first undertaken in 2008 at the Texas Motor Speedway, where officials from NASA's Johnson Space Center and Hubbard met with NASCAR officials to discuss the use of the sanctioning body's data base for assessing crash injury dynamics. NASCAR subsequently provided data taken from recorders in race vehicles, which facilitates the development of injury criteria for astronauts by using computer modeling in conjunction with the real world experience from NASCAR competition.

The prototype HANS-type head restraint for astronauts is comprised of a round collar and yoke made from carbon fiber. The helmet and neck ring of the space suit fit to the round collar and yoke, a single unit to be held in place by an astronaut's shoulder belts.

The testing was the first of more to follow. The issue is to understand crew safety well enough to optimize crash injury reduction with the many, many other considerations such as weight and the unique environment of space and other threats to crew safety like emergency egress, said Hubbard, who has been a consultant to NASA since 2007.

The new prototype was built by Jerry Lambert of Downing/Atlanta Composites. Lambert has worked as a fabricator for the race team of Jim Downing since 1986. He has participated in four IMSA championships by Downing's team and the LMP2 class victory at the Le Mans 24-hour scored by Downing's Kudzu-Mazda. Lambert has been instrumental in the development of the HANS Device, first introduced to the market in 1990 by HANS Performance Products.

Vice President, HANS Performance Products
5096 Peachtree Road, Atlanta GA 30341
Tel: 1-888-HANS-999 or 770-457-1046
gmilgrom@hansdevice.com

www.hansdevice.com
Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martin, check your inbox.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 186 Posts

For my money, I would go with a device that is SFI or FIA rated. According to the Isaac website it exceeds the forces for SFI certification, however it is NOT certified. I would imagine that most organizations will reqire a certification of some kind. Also, if the group you are racing with requires a maximum of one point of release, there's a good chance the Isaac device will not be compliant, unless somehow the shoulder belts are able slip through the device without releasing the additional pins. You will want to do your homework and make sure that whatever you spend you money on will be compliant for all the racing you plan on doing.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Timeless, absolutely timeless.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Timeless, absolutely timeless.
Damn, you beat me to the
Old 12-22-2010, 12:38 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

I would normally guess 12 pages, but someone took the high road with a pm
Old 12-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 186 Posts

I must be missing something.... If I do a search for Isaac will I find a few epic threads?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Damn, you beat me to the
Plenty of room for adding a comment about "what H&N restraint should I wear when driving my tow vehicle down to the auto parts store to select the correct oil viscosity to maximize engine torque"....

There are a few epic topics on RL that deserve consideration for the establishment of a RL Thread Hall of Fame Forum.

H&N would definitely be a first ballot topic.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

'Tis the season....fa la la la la, la la la la..........
Old 12-22-2010, 05:12 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What air pressure should I put in my HANS?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

SRF
Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
SRF
Is that the O1's or the Blacks?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Plenty of room for adding a comment about "what H&N restraint should I wear when driving my tow vehicle down to the auto parts store to select the correct oil viscosity to maximize engine torque"....

There are a few epic topics on RL that deserve consideration for the establishment of a RL Thread Hall of Fame Forum.

H&N would definitely be a first ballot topic.
And my pedal went soft on the way back

Quick Reply: ISAAC VS traditional HANS Device