Sponsored by:

Fuel cell......

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
im always happier in a car with a cell. i think on Fuel Safe or ATL's website they have video of a bimmerworld grand am car getting backwards, i think at limerock,
ATL. it was at VIR, bimmerworld's home track

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks for the great responses.....
Does it offer any advantages as far as performace?
For example better weigth distribution in the front (in the case of a 911) and thus better balance?
IMHO, no better performance, and in the case of most cars (front engine) probably worse performance if the fuel cell is hung over the backend.
In my BMW E36 racecar, the stock fuel tank was under the rear seat, ahead of the rear axle. Probably the best place for it from a safety and performance standpoint, so fuel cell was irrelevant as it was not required.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one in my car. I like knowing I have that little extra safety regarding the fuel.
Mine has a sender unit to be able to use the fuel gauge. They make 2 sizes. Some organisations will not allow the over sized tank because of the competitive advantage in the pits.

I think it is required in HSR and perhaps other vintage racing organisations.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
IMHO, no better performance, and in the case of most cars (front engine) probably worse performance if the fuel cell is hung over the backend.
In my BMW E36 racecar, the stock fuel tank was under the rear seat, ahead of the rear axle. Probably the best place for it from a safety and performance standpoint, so fuel cell was irrelevant as it was not required.
I agree.
It depends on the car. Some cars are easy fuel cell installation and nice upgrade. Others are a nightmare and the stock tanks are in very safe locations.

The 944 for example has the fuel tank pretty well secured and a fuel cell is very difficult. I have seen two very hard rear impacts in 944's and in both cases the tank was still pristine and basic structured of car did the job.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not for or against.

One thing I've heard and maybe someone with more knowledge can answer.

Who spends more money and R&D time on preventing fuel fires, Porsche of the fuel cell makers.

I was told once that the only reason Porsche puts the cells in is because of various regs,. not because they are safer
Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

money is better spent elsewhere
Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't agree on stock tanks being good enough. I put a cell in my '73 as soon as I started racing it. Safety is FIRST, all else is optional (performance tweaks, etc).

You don't want to EVER be in a fire in your car, especially if you get knocked out.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:57 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I don't agree on stock tanks being good enough. I put a cell in my '73 as soon as I started racing it. Safety is FIRST, all else is optional (performance tweaks, etc).

You don't want to EVER be in a fire in your car, especially if you get knocked out.
there is a difference between 60's design a more modern design. Again depend on the car.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Sorry just want to bump in here that the spare tire is an integral part of the early 911 crush zone. Better to run with it especially if You have stock tank...
Back to Your regular programming....
But almost no one does, even without a fuel cell. I put one back in for safety and it is a good way and location to add 40 pounds of ballast.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course it is possible to get killed walking across the street. Does that mean the person should find an alternative route. I don't know of a single instance in PCA racing where someone got hurt because they did not have a fuel cell. Just my 02c. As others have said, spend your money elsewhere.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:11 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen some cell installs that made me think the OEM tank was likely safer. In order to make use of the increased safety with a cell it and the system to and from it need to be well thought out and excuted. I have seen cells that would have broken loose in a good sized impact and some weedy looking plumbing.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
I have seen some cell installs that made me think the OEM tank was likely safer. In order to make use of the increased safety with a cell it and the system to and from it need to be well thought out and excuted. I have seen cells that would have broken loose in a good sized impact and some weedy looking plumbing.
+1

I've seen more fuel coming out of a car after an accident in car's with fuel cells than those without.

All those nice AN fittings that people use stick up and are real easily knocked off in a shunt.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
But almost no one does, even without a fuel cell. I put one back in for safety and it is a good way and location to add 40 pounds of ballast.
I have run with my spare since day 1, agree 100% Frank.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I have run with my spare since day 1, agree 100% Frank.
Hey look at that- only 130 posts to get someone to agree with me. Gary, do you have any plans to head down to Sebring? I'm trying to make it happen.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Hey look at that- only 130 posts to get someone to agree with me. Gary, do you have any plans to head down to Sebring? I'm trying to make it happen.
My car is in the middle of all my winter projects, I call this my "beat Moses" project...
I may fly down to root for the home team though!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Is it a wortwhile upgrade/investment?

What are the pros and cons?
Yes, I think it is worth the investment.

Pros: more weight out front and down low, safety, and the foam helps prevent a tank slapper.

Cons: more expensive, bladders and fittings and gaskets can develop leaks, most likely will lose fuel level guage

Quick Reply: Fuel cell......