Sponsored by:

Most Effective Wing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts
Default Most Effective Wing?

For a GT-class race car using 993 +3 bodywork, what is the most effective ~70" wing out there?

The Predator from GT Racing seems to be quite popular. Any other option that are as good or better?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 12-20-2010, 12:30 AM
winders
Race Car

Some of you must have an opinion!

Scott
Old 12-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

1. whatever wing Mat runs.
2. whatever wing Mas runs.
3. whatever wing Gary runs.
4. whatever wing Peter and I run.
5. Fabcar wing.
6. GrandAm DP wing (spec I think).
7. Aeromotions wing (this will take hours of study).
Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 AM
winders
Race Car

Mike,

I already know your opinion! I was looking for new insights.....maybe someone has come across something new and better.

Scott

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
1. whatever wing Mat runs.
2. whatever wing Mas runs.
3. whatever wing Gary runs.
4. whatever wing Peter and I run.
5. Fabcar wing.
6. GrandAm DP wing (spec I think).
7. Aeromotions wing (this will take hours of study).
Old 12-20-2010, 03:31 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is a great wing. Spend some time researching Nasa profiles and you will see why.
www.goodaero.com
This one is very similar too
www.g-stream.com
Old 12-20-2010, 04:18 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
I think this is a great wing. Spend some time researching Nasa profiles and you will see why.
www.goodaero.com
This one is very similar too
www.g-stream.com
That GoodAero wing does look impressive. I talked with Scott Good and he seems like a great person to work with.

Thanks!

Scott
Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 on Scott Good and GoodAero.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

A few of the aerodynamicists I work with expressed concern about flow separation on the underside of the predator wing. Personally I would stick with a more traditional profile.

There are a lot of sources for wings: Crawford, pennon, getty, GT, bimmerworld, Mirage, HRP, etc. I would determine a budget then see what's out there in your price range that has a good profile and suitable mounting options. Racing composites shops like Crawford and Pennon should have a lot of standard profiles to choose from while Porsche shops like Getty, Mirage, and GT will be cheaper and are likely to have attachments that line up with the standard 3.8 tail.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Looks impressive? Why? Anecdotal evidence? What is the answer? There is no spoon.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wondering about what the most "effective" rear wing for my car would be too. However, like all things, the subject becomes fairly complicated in a big hurry. In an ideal world, we would have access to a wind tunnel to determine how much rear downforce any given car "needs" at various speeds. Then, we would need to obtain the technical data on each wing so we could determine how much downforce each wing produces at various air speeds and angles of attack. The data on the coefficient of drag would also be very nice to have to see just how much drag the wing is producing to obtain the downforce numbers.

I live in Charlotte and, from what I have heard, there is at least one very nice wind tunnel here in the city. But . . . would I ever be able to use it?? Probably not because I am guessing they either don't rent out time OR the cost is probably REALLY high. So, I guess we can rule that out. One of these days I might actually take the time to try to contact some of the local wind tunnel operator(s) to confirm.

Therefore, when I was looking for a wing for my race car, I ended up buying the Predator because I thought it looked like it had the lowest drag of any wing I have seen when run fairly flat. My race car doesn't have much power so I was mostly focused on low drag and running my wing nearly "flat" (almost no angle of attack) to achieve it. But, I never took the time to get any technical data to confirm whether or not the Predator wing really does have lower drag than other wings out there . . . so shame on me for that one. Many of the other wings I have seen look like they will be able to produce more downforce, but they also look like they will have more drag . . . again I have no data to confirm or deny my general observations.

I guess in summary, if the various wing fabricators can give you the technical data regarding downforce and coefficients of drag at various air speeds and angles of attack, then you could compare the data to try to make an educated decision. Or . . . you could just do what Mike recommends and buy the wing that all of the other fast guys are running!!

Jeff
Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

What are the pro's / con's of the 3.8 RSR 60" wide banana style rear wing vs. a non banana style 68" rear wing?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM
winders
Race Car

Has anyone run a GoodAero Raptor wing on a 911? How did it work? Did you have an opportunity to compare it to another wing like the Predator?

Scott
Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM
winders
Race Car

Does anyone have CFD data for the Predator wing? I am looking for drag and downforce numbers (Newtons or Pounds) at various AOA (0, 5, 10 degrees, etc.) at 80, 100, 120 MPH, etc.

I called GT Racing but they are out until January 4th.

Scott
Old 12-29-2010, 10:54 AM
95m3racer
Pro

I would skip the CFD data and see if anyone has actual track data. CFD is useless if it was not done properly, and unfortunately its tough to find someone who actually knows what they are doing. Plus the conditions the CFD was done under are probably not what your car will be experiencing.

I had an Ex-f1 engineer run my CFD for me and I actually had a car 3D scanned so I can model the wing on the car. We found out some very interesting things from the testing, so I don't share too much of the data/results, but here is one picture I've posted on the forums before. Its an end plated mounted wing, carbon structural panels are the end plates that go through the fenders and mount to the chassis.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
I have been wondering about what the most "effective" rear wing for my car would be too. However, like all things, the subject becomes fairly complicated in a big hurry. In an ideal world, we would have access to a wind tunnel to determine how much rear downforce any given car "needs" at various speeds. Then, we would need to obtain the technical data on each wing so we could determine how much downforce each wing produces at various air speeds and angles of attack. The data on the coefficient of drag would also be very nice to have to see just how much drag the wing is producing to obtain the downforce numbers.

I live in Charlotte and, from what I have heard, there is at least one very nice wind tunnel here in the city. But . . . would I ever be able to use it?? Probably not because I am guessing they either don't rent out time OR the cost is probably REALLY high. So, I guess we can rule that out. One of these days I might actually take the time to try to contact some of the local wind tunnel operator(s) to confirm.

Therefore, when I was looking for a wing for my race car, I ended up buying the Predator because I thought it looked like it had the lowest drag of any wing I have seen when run fairly flat. My race car doesn't have much power so I was mostly focused on low drag and running my wing nearly "flat" (almost no angle of attack) to achieve it. But, I never took the time to get any technical data to confirm whether or not the Predator wing really does have lower drag than other wings out there . . . so shame on me for that one. Many of the other wings I have seen look like they will be able to produce more downforce, but they also look like they will have more drag . . . again I have no data to confirm or deny my general observations.

I guess in summary, if the various wing fabricators can give you the technical data regarding downforce and coefficients of drag at various air speeds and angles of attack, then you could compare the data to try to make an educated decision. Or . . . you could just do what Mike recommends and buy the wing that all of the other fast guys are running!!

Jeff
Jeff, there are a couple of wind tunnels in NC, run by the same company. One is a rolling road, used by all the big money people, and its BIG BIG BIG BIG money.

The second is a stationary tunnel and is not all that prohibitively expensive. In fact myself and another are waiting for 2-3 more guys to join us. We can get half day - 6 hours for around 3 grand if I remember correctly. And from what I've been told, that's plenty enough time to test what we need.

Quick Reply: Most Effective Wing?