Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suburban LTZ or Yukon Denali XL

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up the rig today and just drove it to VT. It is so freaking awesome! Its great! Rides comfy smooth and goes fast with power galore on demand. I love the Nav, bluetooth, XM radio, and DVD player with headphones for the little ripper! My first impression is nothing short of a big S eating grin!

I got to do a little snow driving on the way up. The tires that come with it (20" Bridgestone H/L Alenza) suck! I got a set of 17" alloys and Nokian Hakkapalaita R SUV tires. They arrive and go on the truck monday. Everyone tells me it will be night and day in the snow and ice with these sneakers.

We'll see about towing once ski season is over and driving season begins!

So far, Im in love!

JL
Old 12-17-2010, 04:59 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim - Truck sounds great! Re: tires. Unless you go to a studded tire, you can't do any better than the Hakk's. It is the standard up here in Stowe.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:52 PM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
Hey Dick,

Thanks for the feedback. Is yours a Denali XL or the shorter wheelbase version? I see you have a 24' trailer. How much does it weigh fully loaded? Do you have self leveling shocks in the back (autoride)?

I have a 20' trailer and its about 5500 lbs fully loaded. I towed it with a standard Ford Expedition. It could do it, but....it wasnt fun. The wheelbase on the Denali XL is a full foot longer. I think for me and what I tow, and I only tow about 4 X a year, it should be ok.

I test drove it and it rips! Beautiful truck, fast. great interior. Perfect for hauling the familiy and gear back and forth to Vermont for ski weekends.

I went and bought it last night. Where were you guys before I wrote the check?

-Jim
jim
You will love the truck except for when you tow... Perhaps that will be an ok trade-off if you only tow a few days a year. i have the short wheel base, but I am told that the wheel base alone does not totally cure the denali's issues as a tow vehicle. I have come to believe the chassis is just too soft (even with the auto leveling suspension, which i do have). ds
Old 03-13-2011, 02:55 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am considering a Yukon XL, Denali, or Suburban LTZ. I don't really have towing issues as yet, but will be using it for family travel with various configurations of gear people and pets. I specifically want to know about AWD (which comes on Denali) or 4WD system that comes on the Suburban. I like the idea of being able to access a "low range" 4wd with the Suburban. I am curious if anyone out there has experience comparing the performance of the two systems in snow and mud. My gut says the selectable 4wd system might be useful sometimes. I am particularly interested in whether the Denali AWD system can appropriately direct power to the wheels if the snow gets deep or I get stuck.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at the new Dodge Durango with AWD and the Hemi V-8. Smaller than a GM, but it is rated to tow 7200#. People familiar with Dodge trucks say they tend to underrate their capacities.

I will be towing a 3200# enclosed steel trailer, 2650# Boxster, plus the miscellaneous, tires, tools , fuel and spares. Has anyone checked them out as a tow vehicle?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

My previous tow vehicle was an 05 Excursion. My current tow rig is a VW Touareg TDI. I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that there is no difference in handling stability between the two different rigs at least at the weight I'm pulling which is probably about 5500 lbs with my open trailer and car. I had expected some fishtailing given the shorter wheel base of the Touareg, but there is none.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neverpa
I am particularly interested in whether the Denali AWD system can appropriately direct power to the wheels if the snow gets deep or I get stuck.
Had the Yukon XL Denali all winter now. The first thing I did was get a second set of winter wheels and tires. I went with 17" rims and tall thin Nokia Hakkapalitta Suv R tires. What a great move! This truck is the ultimate winter machine now! I drove to VT one night with 3" of fresh snow on unpaved highway. I looked down at the speedo was doing 70! It felt awesome, no slip, slide, or white knuckle moments. I have also seen a foot plus on the way up the access road in blinding white outs, no problems. The truck is just bullet proof.

I can tell you that with the winter tires, AWD feels as good (if not better) than any 4WD I have had before. If you equip your new truck with the right sneakers, either one will work great for you! Good luck!

JL
Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 PM
neverpa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever wished you could "lock" the differential? Or does it take care of that for you? If you don't mind I am curious which Hakkes you ended up with and what size. If I do end up with a Denali then I will certainly need some snow tires and wheels.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:34 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neverpa
Have you ever wished you could "lock" the differential? Or does it take care of that for you? If you don't mind I am curious which Hakkes you ended up with and what size. If I do end up with a Denali then I will certainly need some snow tires and wheels.
Not really. It just goes through anything and I have never felt the need to have the "lock" mode. I did with my Expedition. Its just night and day difference.

The Hakkes are Hakkapallitta Suv R: 265/70/R17. As good as it gets!

Quick Reply: Suburban LTZ or Yukon Denali XL