Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trucks for Family and Tow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 10's of thousands of miles towing an 18 foot enclosed trailer with my Audi Q7, which the wife loves as a DD/kid hauler (7 passenger option nice here). The Q7 has a longer wheelbase than the Toureg/Cayenne, though it's rated to tow slightly less, at 6,600 lbs, d/t it's slightly less beefy 4WD system.

I just towed 550 miles yesterday, much of though a lot of snow. The good steering feel, seamless torsion diff AWD, and stability were awesome.

As long as you can keep it within weight, it should do fine trailering, and will make a much nicer DD, which is what you'll be doing 98% of the time. The diesel is very unobtrusive, and would be awesome to tow with, though the old V8 or new SC V6 would work just fine, as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I tow a Trailex enclosed with a Cayenne S (more than 10 trips this year including VIR, Watkins Glen, Summit Point, NJMP). Total weight with car, wheels, gear is close to 6,000 lbs. Amazing brakes, ample power and a wonderful car as a daily driver and getting in-and-out of the city. If you're only towing 3 times a year, you'll be fine with the Cayenne S.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
Hey Guys,

Its time to ditch the Expedition for a new ride. The trucks on my short list are:

GMC Yukon Denali XL
Chevy Surburban LTZ
Lincoln Navigator L
Ford Expedition EL

I will use it mostly as the ultimate family hauler, though I will tow the 20' Thule trailer/Racecar rig around maybe 3X a year.

I like the luxury of the Navigator and the captains chairs in the second row. but it feels underpowered and soft. I like the power and brawn of the Yukon, but the second row is just two seats, and the third row seats dont just fold away, you have to take them out! The Expedition EL also seems underpowered.

Forget the Cadillac, just aint my style!

What do you guys have or think would work out best for what I do? Lots of time back and forth to VT and NY for skiing, and some towing.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim, the Suburban or Yukon XL will both be very good. Yukon in Denali trim is AWD, I believe.

As for the Expedition, IIRC they are about to put their new V8 in it: 400hp, 425 TQ. Check with Ford on this. If so, it might be a great choice. As is, though, I agree: underpowered with the 5.4.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-06-2010, 09:48 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm considering a Toyota Land Cruiser. Is that an option along these lines?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up on the new Ford V8. I have had 3 Ford trucks and they perform flawlessly with NO service issues whatsoever. I am loyal to the brand for this reason. If they had a Navigator L or Expedition EL with the new V8, I think this is where I would land. Their trucks are just bullit proof in my experience.

Jim
Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issues with the Denali and my featherlite box. Kids still look back fondly on the reclining and heated rear seats plus with the two buckets in the second row our dog could stroll back and forth. Unfortunately when the bad guys stole my featherlite trailer I bought a pig that required an F350. Still have the D and like it. And yes the D is 4x4 as VR suggested
Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the yukon denali XL, awesome vehicle for towing and a good decent around town car. the large suv are big in smaller areas but still are ok in the city
Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Guys,

Its time to ditch the Expedition for a new ride. The trucks on my short list are:

GMC Yukon Denali XL
Chevy Surburban LTZ
Lincoln Navigator L
Ford Expedition EL

I will use it mostly as the ultimate family hauler, though I will tow the 20' Thule trailer/Racecar rig around maybe 3X a year.

Jim
20' box trailer? You could possibly get by with Toyota Sequoia or Nissan Armada too. Depending on the weigth I think and 1/2 ton SUV will be maxed out by an enclosed trailer. I two a 24 foot box trailer that run 7000 to 8000lbs. I tow with 2500 dodge right now. The only SUV type I would tow with would be 2500 Suburban. I just bring too much stuff and tow typically 1-2 long tows 2 hrs + and maybe 6-7 shorter tows (1 hr city traffic) a year. The smaller SUV all have enough tow rating, but I just don't think they will tow with security of a 2500 given what want to pull.

However that does limit my tow vehicle options greatly.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 AM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
20' box trailer? You could possibly get by with Toyota Sequoia or Nissan Armada too. Depending on the weigth I think and 1/2 ton SUV will be maxed out by an enclosed trailer. I two a 24 foot box trailer that run 7000 to 8000lbs. I tow with 2500 dodge right now. The only SUV type I would tow with would be 2500 Suburban. I just bring too much stuff and tow typically 1-2 long tows 2 hrs + and maybe 6-7 shorter tows (1 hr city traffic) a year. The smaller SUV all have enough tow rating, but I just don't think they will tow with security of a 2500 given what want to pull.

However that does limit my tow vehicle options greatly.
Joe,

This is why I am ditching the Expedition. Its wheelbase just is not enough to really feel secure towing the 20' box. The Yukon XL and Expedition EL both have 130 in wheelbases, which is a full 12" more than the Expedition. That will make a big difference!

From a pure truck perspective, the Yukon XL Denali wins withs with big V8. The Navigator's interior and Sync Navigation cant be beat! Its awesome comfy and cool, just not enough power. So maybe Raptor has it right with their new Ford V8.

Shopping for cars is a PITA!

Thanks for all your advice guys!

Jim
Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim,
Are you using weight distibuting bars and sway control? That will add alot of stability.

On top of that is positioning the car in the trailer. I did a short tow with my car 6" too far back in trailer. I have 24 ft box so plenty of room. Any way even with an extended cab short bed 2500, Load bars,sway control, and lots of static tongue weight form tools/parts. I could feel the trailer waging around. I moved the car forward 6" and everything was rock solid again. That is one draw back with a 20foot box. You may have a challenge placing the car right where you need it for ideal load balance. The longer the trailer the more room you have place the car.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,328 Likes on 1,968 Posts

My 2000 Yukon XL has been bullet proof with 100K miles and still towing strong. The Denali is only AWD, but you can get the regular XL with 2wd or 4wd.

The longer wheelbase is what you really want and if you get the SLT package it comes with the leather interior etc without paying the Denali price and save you some $$$ that way.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a Denali and they only come in awd trim. The truck is very nice but the 3rd row is a PITA.

When I tow I use my Avalanche (towing package and modified r/p) which has a proper frame to tow a trailer (I have been a passenger on a Cayenne whilst towing and it was kinda scary). I'm a big believer on a long stout tow vehicle. Cross winds and flying 18 wheelers could give you the jeebies.

A friend has a new Navigator with the towing package and it does not have a lot of oomph.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll check out the Infiniti. I have to say, though, that I am really tempted to "buy American". We really need to stimulate this economy! ")
Then buy a Toyota Sequoia 5.7. Built in Indiana and tows a 20ft enclosed without issue.

Cheers,
Old 12-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up on the new Ford V8. I have had 3 Ford trucks and they perform flawlessly with NO service issues whatsoever. I am loyal to the brand for this reason. If they had a Navigator L or Expedition EL with the new V8, I think this is where I would land. Their trucks are just bullit proof in my experience.

Jim
I have a 5.4 Expedition right now which tows my open trailer fine but I would like to go enclosed someday and that new engine in a EL sounds like a great option. The deal breaker for me on the GM products is the 3rd row seating. Installing/removing those huge things every time you want to use them, as well as finding a place to store them when not in use is a huge PITA. The folding 3rd row in the Fords is so nice.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 2008 Toyota Sequoia for similar duties; family hauler and tow vehicle; I (and the wife) really like it so far.
  • comfy, reliable, nice fit & finish
  • seats 7 (babyseat base installed on 2nd row capt chair)
  • runs on regular gas!
  • power 3rd row
  • in my config (Platinum & 4WD) tows 8800
  • I tow (1 event) an open aluminum with my GT3 a Tekonsha controller; no drama
  • pictures

Quick Reply: Trucks for Family and Tow