Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driving suit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This video of a miata got my attention. That fire is up close and personal to the driver....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA
Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on driving suit and if you ever need to get extracted from a car it provides the safety workers something to grab that will not pull off like a t-shirt.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 139 Posts

We've got some great holiday sales on suits at OG Racing. Tell the sales staff you saw it on Rennlist.

Our site is up to date, so if you see it on the site, then we have it on the shelf. Check the drop down menu for size and color availability, or contact our sales office at 800-934-9112.

Thanks,

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/3-Closeouts/232-Suits
Old 12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Sure, more safety gear is always better. But I think there are often better ways to spend money on a mostly-stock street car. First get a rollbar, proper seats, 6-points, and a Hans. Then fire suppression, and a suit with cool-suit. Sure fires can happen on track in a stock car but the fire risk really rises in race cars due to the extensive modding and higher demands.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomburdge
If you don't want a full fledged suit but rather just something to protect your clothing and perhaps provide a little bit of fire protection ,you might go to a local military surplus store and try to find a single layer flight suit.
I just got one from a family member seperating from the USAF .Its made of nomex with a touch of kevlar.have no idea what its worth but.......
I'm sure us tax payers paid more for it then you will.
Has lots of neat pockets and zippers and you can actually take a wiz without having to pull the suit down off your shoulders.
Tom B.
On a similar note.....

The same surplus store, or anywhere that sells Carhartt clothing will sell "FRC" (fire retardant clothing) clothes. Carhartt makes most of their clothing in FRC material because a lot of industrial places (oil refineries, power plants, etc) require you wear them to work there. I have 4 pairs of FRC coveralls that would work great for driving. You could also just get a pair of pants and shirt for a more "casual" look.... all flame retardant.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by m73m95
On a similar note.....

The same surplus store, or anywhere that sells Carhartt clothing will sell "FRC" (fire retardant clothing) clothes. Carhartt makes most of their clothing in FRC material because a lot of industrial places (oil refineries, power plants, etc) require you wear them to work there. I have 4 pairs of FRC coveralls that would work great for driving. You could also just get a pair of pants and shirt for a more "casual" look.... all flame retardant.
That's what I've used. It's also good on a hot DE day. You can wear shorts and a t-shirt all day, and slip on the coveralls when you need to be on track. And on Halloween you have a janitor/orderly costume ready to go.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a suit that people definitely laugh at during DE's.

Shake & Bake!
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Understand the burn resistance times as well. Racing suits don't let you walk around in a fire. They give you aditional seconds at best to get out of a fire. Adding supression does not impinge on any other aspects of safety.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
TXDriver
5th Gear

I'm actually a little surprised at everyone who doesn't wear a suit at a DE. Every event mandates a helmet; but the chances of a car spinning or just going off and starting a grass fire with a hot catalyst is a actually much higher that hitting something and your head bouncing off something hard in the car. Stuff breaking at a DE happens all the time. In the 20 odd years I've been instructing and racing, I've seen some horrible fires and been in a few. I love a suit and have had to retire both a suit and helmet from fire and smoke damage.

BTW,As a retired Naval Aviator I don't recommend the surplus flight suits. That little yellow handle on the ejection seat can get me out of a plane a lot faster that I can get out of any car.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a problem wearing a suit when the temps are reasonable. In fact, when it is cold outside, they are great. But I instruct, and when it is 98 degrees outside, (although I have a cool shirt cooler in my race car) riding all day in students' cars in a head-to-toe oven mit will probably put me in the hospital with heat exhaustion. So it is a compromise. That is, weighing one risk against another. Obviously, when I race, I wear the oven mit no matter how hot it is outside. And while we're on the subject, if we agree that a fire suit is a good idea at all times, then a nomex balaclava is too. Facial burns are horrible...
Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
That's what I've used. It's also good on a hot DE day. You can wear shorts and a t-shirt all day, and slip on the coveralls when you need to be on track. And on Halloween you have a janitor/orderly costume ready to go.
I used mine to go as Jason (Fri 13th) on Holloween

Hockey mask, fake blood, fire retardant coveralls!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OMP made me an offer since the suit I ordered really wasn't in stock. Red size 56 "Re-Act" 2010 model. Not my size and I don't care for red. If someone is interested let me know and I will dig up the customer service persons contact info.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TXDriver
I'm actually a little surprised at everyone who doesn't wear a suit at a DE. Every event mandates a helmet; but the chances of a car spinning or just going off and starting a grass fire with a hot catalyst is a actually much higher that hitting something and your head bouncing off something hard in the car. Stuff breaking at a DE happens all the time. In the 20 odd years I've been instructing and racing, I've seen some horrible fires and been in a few. I love a suit and have had to retire both a suit and helmet from fire and smoke damage.

BTW,As a retired Naval Aviator I don't recommend the surplus flight suits. That little yellow handle on the ejection seat can get me out of a plane a lot faster that I can get out of any car.

Cheers,
Jim
I appreciate your service to our country , but don't you think a surplus flight suit is better then civvies?
How can you argue against any form of nomex and kevlar.
Tom B.

Tom B.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

A lot of really good points have been made. There are many safety features worth investing in before a fire suit. Fire resulting accidents are rare in DE unless you count a wrist burn when your air bag deploys (racing gloves will help that). You will be made fun of behind your back if you are wearing a fire suit in green and instructors will not be happy when they draw you as a student. And fire suits are only designed to give you those extra seconds to get the hell out of the car. Exposed skin will catch fire fast and Nomex will burn after a few seconds.

You should only wear a fire suit in the car unless you need to wear an over mitt. Great analogy, oven mitt. They are, they really are. But you never should let anyone dictate your choice of track fashion.

I think the most important thing is that the safety equipment you buy should conform to the specs of a credible racing organization. This includes cages, seats, harnesses and their installation specifications. Look up what PCA Club Racing or the SCCA specifies. Anything less is a silly investment. Racing organizations have standards for a reason. There are many more firey crashes in racing than DE.

I am a firm believer that you should own as much safety gear as possible and that you should wear what you own. But I will admit that I drive a Miata and do not wear my fire suit at a DE. I carry it with me at all times just in case I come to my senses.

-- Mindy
Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

If interested I have a nice Stand21 suit for sale. Will fit approx. 6' drover.

Quick Reply: driving suit