Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Boat = Break Out Another Thousand
Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone have experience with DC auto? I need several small miscellaneous GT3 parts for a project...

I was thinking about using german dismantlers, but apparently that's not a good idea!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
Anyone have experience with DC auto? I need several small miscellaneous GT3 parts for a project...

I was thinking about using german dismantlers, but apparently that's not a good idea!
Just used DC and couldn't be happier. Perfect product, great price, and wicked quick shipping. Would definitely use again.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Have had several good experiences w/DC Automotive. Been a long time, but also good experience w/Oklahoma Foreign and 20th St. Auto (AZ)
Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

DC automotive
oklahoma foreign
parts haven
LA dismantler
ALL SUCK BIG TIME.
i called each over 20x and left VM, none called back.
if they are this busy, then they dont need my business. great.
there's a reason i hate buying used.....
they have attitude problems.
not many things upset me, but when i do, i go ballistic.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:18 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I recently tried to find a used part for my rear wing. I called every dismantle-er in the country to find it. Not only wouldn't they sell me the part on it's own, but every one of them wanted the full brand new part price for the entire rear wing. Why would one shop with them when you can pay the same amount for a brand new part from the dealer. In the end I paid a machinist friend to make me a custom part.
oh and yes. they offered me $500 for my pair of doors (never hit, as good as new) and GT3 wing with fan.... i wonder how much they sell them for?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:23 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coochas
I know there have been plenty of bad things said about these guys before, but I am having a horrible time with them right now.

The sad thing is that I bought some wheels from them before over EBay and had no problem. My guess is that they are better at honoring their EBay deals since there is fraud protection built in with most purchases.

I called Joe at German Auto Dismantlers (as well as email) about 2 months ago looking for a door and rear bumper cover for my SPBOX with the specification that it must be 1) in good condition and 2) be Porsche factory Black. I went over this with him ad nauseum. He told me that he had a beautiful Black door that was ready to ship and that he could easily find a nice Black bumper.
So a month+ goes by and he finally ships the door. I spoke with their shipping person who promised me the door was Black when I spoke with him.

The door arrived about a week ago and is of course not Black but Midnight Blue. I called Joe and complained and he told me he didn't have a nice Black door so he sent me that one instead. I was pissed. Now if I want the door to be Black and look decent I'll probably have to pay someone 200 bucks on a 300 dollar door.

I called him about the second item, the Black rear bumper cover. He gave me some BS and then I told him I wanted to cancel the order. He then started SCREAMING at me on the phone ranting about how hard he's been working to close this 'deal.' When I told him I was sick and tired of having my car apart he told me "I've been 4 time SCCA Champion,....I know about having cars apart" etc etc. I then made the mistake of telling him that if the order was not filled before this weekend that the deal was off. I also told him that if the bumper arrives and it's not Black that I would not accept it.

Since I had not heard from him, I called him an hour ago to cancel the order. Magically the order has shipped but he was unable to provide me with any information on its delivery. I told him that if it wasn't here in the next few days and not as ordered that I would be filing a complaint with the BBB and a fraud dispute with Visa. Certainly a BBB complaint is warranted.

BEWARE GERMAN AUTO DISMANTLERS!
a vendor who ships without tracking number is BS. how does he protect himself? i would call credit car and cancel regardless of shipped or not.

yelling at customer is not acceptable under any circumstances.

SCCA champ. do i really care. take your business to a 10 x SCCA champ.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BEWARE GERMAN AUTO DISMANTLERS!
We had trouble with him too.... wanted a spare set of factory rims (7 & 9 inches) for my '89 944 Turbo to mount some Hoosiers on for the track. He had a set for sale, though there were tires mounted on them that he tried hard to sell alongside, (a special street compound!) we just wanted the wheels. On delivery, they were 6 & 8 inch rims (much less expensive and easier to find), not what we ordered. Called up, no worries-"that's what they run on those cars! " took him 3 months to get them picked up for shipping, I wasn't going to pay to send them back.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

URL's please...as some of these places sound similar.

I may be in the market for a 996 GT2 Decklid soon...as my spoiler just crapped out and a fixed wing sounds so much simpler. Would love to get a used one to save some cash.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:34 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

As terrible as they are (and, yes, I agree that they are terrible), they are not the worst. In the good old days, Kempton Brothers set a very low standard for Porsche parts sellers... Come to think of it, when they went out of business (forced closure by EPA), their 800 number was assumed by Joe Cogbill, who answered it with "Porsche Parts".

Guess who is now German Auto Dismantlers???
Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
DC automotive
oklahoma foreign
parts haven
LA dismantler
ALL SUCK BIG TIME.
i called each over 20x and left VM, none called back.
if they are this busy, then they dont need my business. great.
there's a reason i hate buying used.....
they have attitude problems.
not many things upset me, but when i do, i go ballistic.
Don't forget your good buddies at Fikse, John.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I recently tried to find a used part for my rear wing. I called every dismantle-er in the country to find it. Not only wouldn't they sell me the part on it's own, but every one of them wanted the full brand new part price for the entire rear wing. Why would one shop with them when you can pay the same amount for a brand new part from the dealer. In the end I paid a machinist friend to make me a custom part.
I have run into the same thing more than once.

Some of the used part pricing is way too much. Always a good idea to check dealer pricing on any part you are considering buying used, either from a salvage yard or ebay, etc.

Even some new OE parts are cheaper from the discount dealers (like Hennessy Porsche and Sunset Porsche) than OEM parts from various aftermarket suppliers.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

German Auto Dismantlers is just the worst parts experience I could have dreamed of!
I keep reading more and more horrible reviews about Joe and his 'business.' I just wish I had read them earlier.

Please help to keep this thread fresh in the search engines of the world!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:19 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe we should just consider mentioning the reputable institutions out there (if any)......and assume the rest to be just scum.......
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Maybe we should just consider mentioning the reputable institutions out there (if any)......and assume the rest to be just scum.......
I've had good luck with Oklahoma Foreign.

Quick Reply: German Auto Dismantlers - THE WORST