Sponsored by:

Suspension set up cheat sheet

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Very clear to me. Here's a simple test. Take your iPhone (or something similar) and pretend it is the car. With the phone longways, hold each end with your thumb and forefinger on each corner. Lift up your thumbs, tilt it up on one side slightly to simulate a car leaning. Now gently lift the fore-finger that you imagine is outside rear corner. See how it immediately pressures the inside front, simulating wedge across the diagonal. This is what IMHO transfers load from the inside rear to the inside front, reducing grip in the back and increasing grip at the front.
The one constant for most of us is that the Math takes too long to 'get' and the essence of the discussion becomes a bit convoluted.

I think Larry's example of using the phone is a good one, and one that someone should actually just film while discussing these and other theories. To be able to see in a very simplistic form would be a great 101 visual reference for 99% of us. Chuck it on Youtube and at least you can introduce the basics if not more complex theory.

So who's got the camera?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
Scott...I am not saying that weight is actually transferred diagonally, it definitely IS NOT!

What I am saying is lets consider case A, with a certain front and rear roll stiffness. Then in a 1G corner we transfer a certain amount of load across the front axle, and a certain amount across the rear.

Now lets change the rear roll stiffness (make it stiffer), call it case B. Take the same corner, now we transfer more weight at the rear than before.

If we compare the corner weights between Case A and Case B, the weight across the diagonals is different.

Does that make sense?
I haven't done the math but yes, that makes sense. However, the weight (load) transferred to inside of the turn is the same. The proportion front to rear has changed but not side to side.

Scott
Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I haven't done the math but yes, that makes sense. However, the weight (load) transferred to inside of the turn is the same. The proportion front to rear has changed but not side to side.

Scott
I personally don't really like the idea of diagonal weight transfer either. It doesn't make much sense to me intuitively the same way I can think about taking a greater percentage of weight transfer at one end, thus less on the other end.

Let's say we have a car who's corner weights are

500 500
500 500

We are in some corner that transfers 500 lbs total, with equally stiff front and rear the corner weights would be (case A)

750 250
750 250

Now lets say we change the stiffness such that 80% weight trasnfer happens at the rear (or 400 lbs) (case B), corner weights are

600 400
900 100

And it is pretty clear that the front has a lot more grip and the rear a lot less in Case B...
Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
I contend that a 2000 and 4000 lb car in your example WILL corner almost the same, provided the tires are sized for the 4000 lb car and both somehow get the same tire temps.
The point is that vertical load does not overcome lateral load. For your earlier point to make sense, the 4000 lbs car would not need wider tires than the 2000 lbs car.

Scott
Old 12-09-2010, 04:39 PM
winders
Race Car

I personally don't really like the idea of diagonal weight transfer either. It doesn't make much sense to me intuitively the same way I can think about taking a greater percentage of weight transfer at one end, thus less on the other end.

500 500
500 500

We are in some corner that transfers 500 lbs total, with equally stiff front and rear the corner weights would be (case A)

750 250
750 250

Now lets say we change the stiffness such that 80% weight trasnfer happens at the rear (or 400 lbs) (case B), corner weights are

600 400
900 100

And it is pretty clear that the front has a lot more grip and the rear a lot less in Case B...
claykos,

This is too funny. I just did almost exactly the same scenario as you. I changed the roll couple to 40/60 instead of 20/80.

It's only clear if you agree that the increased traction the lateral load provides does not overcome the reduced traction from the vertical load. You and I do....

Scott
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So from the example, as the roll rate is increased in the rear, some of the weight transfer (or vertical loading) has been transferred rearward on the outboard side and forward on the inboard side. And as Mark postulates, the diagonal weights will change drastically as the roll rate is increased on one end.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

500 500
500 500

750 250
750 250

600 400
900 100

claykos,

This is too funny. I just did almost exactly the same scenario as you. I changed the roll couple to 40/60 instead of 20/80.

It's only clear if you agree that the increased traction the lateral load provides does not overcome the reduced traction from the vertical load. You and I do....

Scott
Look at the cross weights. Case A is 50% while case B is 65%. It is widely understood that when corner balancing a car, it is far more important to get good cross weights than side to side. I don' disagree that the increased load on the tire has an impact, I still stand by my belief that the change in cross weight (load) is the much bigger impact to handling.

Case B is either a drift car or a big crash.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Look at the cross weights. Case A is 50% while case B is 65%. It is widely understood that when corner balancing a car, it is far more important to get good cross weights than side to side. I don' disagree that the increased load on the tire has an impact, I still stand by my belief that the change in cross weight (load) is the much bigger impact to handling.
Why do you want the cross weights the same on a road race car? So the car corners with the same characteristics in both left hand and right hand turns. Why is this important? Otherwise changes to the setup will be different for left hand turns compared to right hand turns. If the car steers perfect in right hand turns but understeers in left hand turns, fixing the left hand turning will cause oversteer in right hand turns.

You can't compare the static corner balance of car to what is happening dynamically when changing roll couple. At least not as long as you change the wheel rates evenly on the axle.

In the example provided by claykos, the car will corner the same in left hand and right hand turns.

Using wedge affects the static corner balance of a car and will cause a car to behave differently in in left hand and right hand turns.

Scott
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you want the cross weights the same on a road race car? So the car corners with the same characteristics in both left hand and right hand turns. Why is this important? Otherwise changes to the setup will be different for left hand turns compared to right hand turns. If the car steers perfect in right hand turns but understeers in left hand turns, fixing the left hand turning will cause oversteer in right hand turns.

You can't compare the static corner balance of car to what is happening dynamically when changing roll couple. At least not as long as you change the wheel rates evenly on the axle.

In the example provided by claykos, the car will corner the same in left hand and right hand turns.

Using wedge affects the static corner balance of a car and will cause a car to behave differently in in left hand and right hand turns.

Scott
I guess I need to give up on this - as I said, my ideas would be best explained with far more than just words on a forum. FYI - I am not suggesting adding wedge to offset any of the examples - I was trying to use the concept of wedge in a dynamic sense.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The point is that vertical load does not overcome lateral load.

Scott
Doesn't the download from a car's aerodynamics disprove this point? Otherwise what is the reason for spoilers and such on an F1 car?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:18 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Doesn't the download from a car's aerodynamics disprove this point? Otherwise what is the reason for spoilers and such on an F1 car?
No, because you are increasing the vertical load WITHOUT increasing the lateral load. That's the whole point of aero.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:42 PM
winders
Race Car

I guess I need to give up on this - as I said, my ideas would be best explained with far more than just words on a forum. FYI - I am not suggesting adding wedge to offset any of the examples - I was trying to use the concept of wedge in a dynamic sense.
I am trying to understand the point your are trying to make.

In a dynamic sense, wedge (asymmetrical static cross weights) causes a car to corner differently in right hand than it does in left hand turns. Right?

How does this relate to changing roll couple symmetrically?

In claykos' exaggerated example , if the roll couple is not 50/50, the corner weights (in the corner) are not symmetrical on either side. That is the desired result of altering roll couple: so that it is possible to tune handling characteristics.

Scott
Old 12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Case B is either a drift car or a big crash.
^ Mark, yes, to me this is the whole issue of balancing the car in the corner and why changes to roll stiffness have different effects on where you are in the corner, entry, middle or exit...
Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 PM
winders
Race Car

However if we compare the weight transfer before and after stiffening one end, then there has effectively been weight trasnferred diagonally (when comparing the corner weights before and after stiffening one end of the car).
Now that I have had a chance to look at the math...

No, your example shows that no weight has been transferred diagonally, effectively or otherwise. What it shows is that less weight is transferred from the right to left at the front in a right hand turn when the rear is stiffened.

More weight is on the RF-LR diagonal, but no weight transferred along the diagonal. This is a not so subtle difference.

Scott
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Now that I have had a chance to look at the math...

No, your example shows that no weight has been transferred diagonally, effectively or otherwise. What it shows is that less weight is transferred from the right to left at the front in a right hand turn when the rear is stiffened.

More weight is on the RF-LR diagonal, but no weight transferred along the diagonal. This is a not so subtle difference.

Scott

I fully agree with you and thought more about it myself. I do not see diagonal weight transfer either. But the car is effectively "wedged" differently in each case. But it is due to increased weight transfer between LF-RR and decreased between LF-RF.....

Quick Reply: Suspension set up cheat sheet