Sponsored by:

Need a Mistress? National Champion 944 Spec Car FS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need a Mistress? National Champion 944 Spec Car FS

Yes, the Mistress is FS again. It's that time of year again, where I sell my car, and build a new one over the winter. I've actually owned this car twice, and it has been owned by most of the Midwest region drivers at one point or another, hence the name.

At the beginning of the last year, it went through a through overhaul to compete reliably in the MW endurance series, which it won this last year. This car holds every track record in the MIdwest, and is the 2008 National Championship car, and is the 2009/2010 MW regional championship winning car.

Virtually everything was refreshed a the start of last season, down to new shocks and wheel bearings. Custom welded in cage. Rebuilt motor was put in mid-season with carefully tested mechanicals, and high compression pistons The car burns NO oil. Only thing that failed all last year was a fan relay. Contact me for full details.

It does have some racing patina, and damage to the left rear fender. It is now at Bennington Motorsports to get these issues fixed right. Damage is only cosmetic - frame is straight, no re-alingnment needed after this incident. The car could also be repainted to suit by Bennington, if you'd like to spring for that while it's there.

The car sold from me for $13,800 last time, before some of it's current upgrades. Given the current economic climate, it is up for $12,000 obo this time. I can demodify the car a bit to decrease the cost, if needed. PM me for details.

Previous ad (before I wrecked the "budget build 944" & bought it back, here: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....205029#p205029 for reference)
Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Some videos of the car in action (BTW, the "hip check" in video #1 below was wheel to wheel - went onto win that race). Alignment checked out fine.

http://vimeo.com/13573648

See it drive through a baker's dozen field of Spec Miatas here:

http://vimeo.com/14382656

I don't have a great picture of the rear quarter damage handy, though you can get some idea from this picture:

So why am I selling this car? It's become something of a tradition that I build a car, drive it for a year, and sell it. It helps build the series with reliable, dialed in cars.

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 11-25-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

I typed this up for an interested party, and though I'd post it here for more details, as well:

High compression piston (hard to find) '88 motor & '88 DME, with the internals selected out of 3 motors I had torn down to get the best balanced & condition parts. Installed mid-season, and burns NO oil. The motor will be the hardest part to let go...

Clutch 1.5 seasons old

Tarret antisway bars (best/most expensive antisway bars for 944's)

OEM LSD tranmission rebuilt 1.5 seasons about
One new and on rebuilt axle at the end of last year.
Stage 8 locking & retaining bolts on axles (had issues with these bolts loosening in enduros - problem solved)
Shifter lever new 2 seasons ago.
New wheel bearings 1 season ago (big job in the rear aluminum arms)
New Koni shocks for this season

Custom aluminum dash, with full gauge package, and low oil pressure light.

Simplified wiring harness (removed 30+ lbs of wire).
Neat aftermarket fuse panel & relays for reliable operation, and ease of troubleshooting. Everything is labeled, and done neatly.

Custom 10 point weld-in roll cage, including foot bars.

Modified fuel filler neck for rapid refueling (removed restrictor)

Weight loss program - Lexan windshield (great shape, just took off last tear off it came with), custom aluminum sunroof replacement panel. Scraped out tar, and removed anything not needed to go fast. Custom aluminum hatch tie downs, massive simplified wiring harness, etc. Weighs 2,540 lbs with me in it low on fuel.

Dual pull fire suppression system. (not just an extinguisher)

Well set up chassis - fastest SP1 car in the Midwest (at least!),

What separates this car from the average $8K car is the quality of the build, the attention to detail to make it light & reliable. It was built to win endurance races, taking what we learned from running a 9 hour race last year. It won both the sprint, and endurance championships this year. A no hassle car.

I am selling it for three reasons

1) To run a car from our current class sponsor (this one was buit by our previous class sponsor)
2) To build the class
3) I enjoy building them

Car has NASA & PCA logbooks

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 11-26-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Sold!

944 Spec arrives in the GL region in this car with new owner Brad Raum!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

That was fast, congrats! Hopefully next year I can make the jump.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Yes, I surprised how much interest there was. I am excited to see 944 Spec starting to move into the Great Lakes region.

It looks like Nick from Bennington Motorsports will be providing trackside support to some, if not all GL events, too, next year.

Huge support, at Spec-friendly prices.

Last year, he charged $100 for the weekend, including free food, an hour's worth of labor/diagnostics (if needed, then $50/man-hour after that), and enduro pitstop support. As he brings a mobile shop, and essentially an entire 944 in pasrts, he done everything up to and including an entire engine swap trackside!

Nick does arrive & drive programs as well.

So Sam, why wait until next year - start now!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There ya go Sam, just rent one ! Come out and play BTW, you need to talk Dan and Alan into doing it, and Ben too.....

Tom
Old 12-02-2010, 10:53 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Brad is a good guy, I am sure he'll take great care of the car!

Quick Reply: Need a Mistress? National Champion 944 Spec Car FS