Sponsored by:

How to transport Nitrogen Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:03 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 248 Posts
Default How to transport Nitrogen Cylinders

Anyone familiar with DOT regs on transporting high pressure gas cylinders?

I am considering creating a mount on an open trailer for the tank, but am concerned that I am opening myself for scrutiny, and want to make sure I do it correctly…..

edit: Specifically I was thinking of bolting bottle clamps to the trailer bed (bottle would be horizontal facing left/right) below the tire rack.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

DOT requires the cap to be on the bottle during transport, in addition to the appropriate signage on the vehicle.
You are probably not licensed nor insured to carry these on an open trailer.
It is seldom a problem with a closed trailer.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:35 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No expert but I have been told protective valve body cover screwed on and to transport vertically, something I embrace. I have personally watched full tanks launched horizontially by someone knocking the valve-body off with a sledge hammer-tremendous energy.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible if you silo into a coma while reading Code of Federal Regulations 49, which I believe answers your question....

(picture of what the book looks like...you can google it if you dare)
http://www.iescylinders.com/Transportation.html
Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Disclaimer:
I am not responsible if you silo into a coma while reading Code of Federal Regulations 49, which I believe answers your question....

(picture of what the book looks like...you can google it if you dare)
http://www.iescylinders.com/Transportation.html
Thanks.... Ive read bits and pieces.. but not sure I have a clear picture of what is requred (license, permit, etc).... Ive had it in the SUV out of sight (cap on and windows down) but trying to find a safer way.. and having it on an open trailer certainly exposes it to scrutiny.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Basically, the bottle needs to be legal (in some states, you can only "own" a certain size high pressure tank, above that size you are required to rent/lease it); the bottle needs to have it's safety cap securely installed at all times during transport (and technically when not in use); the bottle needs to be securely fastened (usually in a vertical position) with more than one strap; and if transported in an open vehicle, a placard indicating which type of gas is being transported (for emergency personnel, fire, etc).
In the event of nitrogen, it is an inert gas, but still a high pressure cylinder.

Much like having DOT tape illegally applied to a trailer, you might be hassled if they see a bottle on the back of an open trailer, even though it is a proper bottle, properly secured. That is more an issue with state/local police departments.

There is a similar issue with transporting race gas/fuel in a trailer; it is technically illegal to do so (over a certain amount) without appropriate containers and exterior markings on the trailer.
(As an aside, I've seen enclosed trailers burn to the ground due to fuel being improperly stored and transported in a trailer...so I kind of see their point).

Quick Reply: How to transport Nitrogen Cylinders