Sponsored by:

Moton Club Sports vs. Moton Street Sports

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 10:18 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Moton Club Sports vs. Moton Street Sports

Curious to hear feedback from anyone who's driven on both and has feedback.

How do the street sports compare to the club sports? Biggest difference I see is the street sports aren't a true double adjustable. It's a single adjustment that effects both compression and rebound at the same time.

I know bimmerworld used the street sports on their E46 M3 that was used for the ultimate track car challenge with good results but I've seen very little use in the porsche community (probably due to how new they are).

Andy
Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Derik Royal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I don't have experience with the clubsports but I do have the street sports on my car. I went from the OEM shocks to these. I used the street sports because they fit in better with the point assessments for NASA TT. It took about $500 worth of machine work to get them to fit the aluminum uprights, shock mounts and clear the rear control arms on my car. All things being equal, I would go with the club sports. The $ is similar and I think the separate adjusters would be an advantage. I suppose the extra oil capacity from the remote reservoirs wouldn't hurt either. They are a quality product, no doubt.

2005 911 C2S
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, probably ok for softer spring rates, but not acceptable for stiffer springs where you may have to adjust the rebound differently than the compression based on track conditions.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:07 PM
jamesclay
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
How do the street sports compare to the club sports? Biggest difference I see is the street sports aren't a true double adjustable. It's a single adjustment that effects both compression and rebound at the same time.

I know bimmerworld used the street sports on their E46 M3 that was used for the ultimate track car challenge with good results but I've seen very little use in the porsche community (probably due to how new they are).

Andy
Seth sent me here Andy to help out. So BMW question, asked to a Porsche forum, answered by a BMW supplier...oh well...

There is some pretty good misinformation here in this short number of posts about these dampers. First of all, on the BMW front the Street Sport line is Moton's non-remote reservoir damper selection. They have both single adjustable and double adjustable. Your comment about it not being a true double adjustable and only having one **** is true - if you are talking about the single-adjustable... If you are talking about the double adjustable, then it has...two adjustments and no more hysteresis than you would expect from a typical adjustable damper.

How do they compare to Clubsports. First, it depend on the model of car. Traditionally a Clubsport is a 7 click remote double damper. However with the volume we do in the BMW world, we have managed to get the price down on the internal parts of the single Street Sport (MSS1) which uses the same internals as the Motorsport double (the big boy, not the Club Sport - MMS2). This has effectively eliminated the 7 click Clubsport (MCS2) and not the MMS2 is priced where the Clubsport was previously - the gift of mass production! This applies to E36, E46, and E8X/E9X non-M models ONLY.

So in this case, there is no Clubsport, the single has the full-pop 15 clicks of Motorsport rebound adjustment, and it is better than the old 7 click MCS2. But since there is no more MCS2 in these lines, the MMS2 that has taken over its price point is better - second adjustment.

Now if we are talking MSS2 (Street Sport Double), it is a different design philosophy, but will be blurring the lines a little more with shared parts shortly - in the BMW range. These are not remote reservoirs, but the range is awesome, the high-speed bleed is incredible (chatter bumps), and they killed it on our E46 M3 project car - with 850/1000 springs and full slicks, which is about the limit of what I can throw at that chassis reasonably. In my eyes, these are on par or better than the old MCS2, but not quite where the MMS2 is, but many structured rule sets don't allow the remote canister.

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
IMHO, probably ok for softer spring rates, but not acceptable for stiffer springs where you may have to adjust the rebound differently than the compression based on track conditions.
Not the case. Using the true 15 click Motorsport internals means I could put more spring than I could stand on the MSS1 - 1500# or so for a BMW, which is just not used in North America. For a MSS2, I don't know if I could go a lot higher than the 850/1000 we put on our project car, but I also don't know why I would ever want to. Even on a very bumpy Summit Point, the MSS2 completely controlled this spring package.

So either that was confusing or helpful. At the end of the day, find a knowledgeable Moton dealer and they should have all these answers and tell you how it should work for you.

James
BimmerWorld
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank you very much for the input. I should have noted that despite my signiature the question was asked with a 996 GT3 in mind, not the M3. I wasn't aware of the BMW specific changes you mentioned so I can see how that changes things a bit.

I'm fairly confident that the Porsche stuff has either gone that direction too or is very close. All of the new CS's are now 15 clicks for the 996 GT3 as well which sounds similar to the changes you were describing.

I was confused on the street sports somewhat so I appreciate the clarification and feedback knowing either will be a great choice with the spring rates I intend to run.

Andy
Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesclay
So either that was confusing or helpful.
I'm not sure. I was commenting on his statement that the street sport shocks were single adjustable (and for both ways). Unlike yourself, I do not know the street sport shocks, but know that lots of guys are running around on relatively soft springs and PSS9s or other similar shocks and are perfectly happy with their performance. My experience is that once you get up into the 800/1000 lbs range, there are times that you need to adjust the compression independently of the rebound (or vice versa). Even then, there are times when two way adjustment may not be enough when you compare it to 3 way Motons.

And for me, thanks for responding. It is always helpful to have a professional on board to keep things straight.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM
jamesclay
2nd Gear

I agree. Three-ways are awesome. We ran 4-ways on our last World Challenge cars, but for most racers, 3-ways are the best choice. But if you aren't looking to spend 8500, a 5k double, either street sport or Motorsport doeas a pretty awesome job and aren't even on the same playing field as a PSS9 - and can handle the same rates you would put on a 3-way.

Quick Reply: Moton Club Sports vs. Moton Street Sports