Excursion 7.3 diesel vs 6.0 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Excursion 7.3 diesel vs 6.0 diesel

It looks like Santa will bring me a proper tow vehicle. I have decided that the Excursion diesel is the way to go for my towing/family needs. So, with that said, which engine is better, and why? What do I need to watch out for? What $$$ am I looking at spending?

I did hit the search function, which helped me in the decision to get an Excursion. Now I would love to have actual owners chime in with real world experiences/advice.

Thanks!!!
Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Going bigger trailer? Problem with the Cayenne?

I don't really have much commentary on 7.3 vs. 6.0 other than folks usually feel the 7.3 is more reliable (mine has 192k miles on it) but I've always longed for the 6.0's greater power and 5 speed transmission.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 PM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 F350 DRW with the 6.0, it is the WORST diesel on the market. I bought it new and have had to replace headgaskets 4 times, it now has 120,000 miles. Many people have had blown turbos and blown motors. Make sure you get an extended warranty, it will more than pay for itself if you get the 6.0. There are a couple diesel forums that may help your decision, www.powerstroke.org and www.thedieselstop.com. I had a 7.3 Excursion and never had a problem.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Love my 6.0

Not selling anymore - but love this truck

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-for-sale.html
Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Going bigger trailer? Problem with the Cayenne?

I don't really have much commentary on 7.3 vs. 6.0 other than folks usually feel the 7.3 is more reliable (mine has 192k miles on it) but I've always longed for the 6.0's greater power and 5 speed transmission.
Keeping the enclosed Trailex and no problems with Cayenne. Just want something to throw the dog(s) in, haul large groups of people, and be a dependable tow vehicle.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:19 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The early 6.0's (2004 & 2005) were the worst offenders. I have a 06' and it's been reasonably reliable. I'ts blown 2 injectors which wasn't fun when towing. Under warranty of course....
Old 11-09-2010, 07:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My bride has 2 Excursion diesels (2000 with a 7.3L PSD and her current 2005 with 6.0L PSD), I've lived both sides of the engine debate.

The 7.3L Achilles heel is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Think of it like a 993 DME relay. It is going to fail and it will stop the engine dead. Easy to replace/fix (some folks actually do it roadside and much like a DME keep a spare CPS in the glovebox). Apart from that, the engine was bulletproof.

The 6.0L Achilles heel is the EGR valve, which combined with the crappy low cetane ULSD we are forced to use here in the USA leads to a Check Engine Light for a stuck EGR valve. Covered under warranty, both OEM and federal emissions, easy fix, but a PITA. All the new diesels have suffered from the EPA emissions devices and ULSD fuel. Efficiency is way down, and PITA problems have increased.
As mentioned, the early 6.0L's had problems, but the later ones are pretty reliable.

With either of them, I would highly recommend ALWAYS running diesel fuel additive/cetane boost (Motorcraft red or blue cap...either way it is the same as Stanadyne) with every tank of fuel.
Engine oil used to be 15W-40 year round, but Ford changed to 10W-30 below 30degF and 15W-40 for the rest of the year.

We have a heated (45degF) garage, so winter starts are no problem, but when it is outside, the OEM block heater along with a timer works beautifully. I've started the vehicle below 0degF with the block heater and it sounds just like a warm weather start up.

My bride traded in her 2000 for the 2005 as soon as she heard they were stopping Excursion production .
In all honesty, there is nothing out there that can replace a diesel Excursion for an all around (Saint Bernard) dog hauler and tow vehicle. So, the 2005 will be kept for quite a long time.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Regarding the 7.3 liter crankshaft position censor, there was/is a recall. Ford replaced them at no cost to a new version so that's no longer an issue.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,620 Likes on 751 Posts

I had both, the 7.3 is the way to go. Add superchip and it will be very dependable for 200k + miles. The '06 mightbe a bit nicer, but you probably will spend a little more keeping it running.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Here's one. No affiliation, was just surfing ebay while drinking my morning coffee.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Excur...item230b6c3bc5
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 7.3 with NO issues for 5 years. The 6.0 has been a different story. More power and slightly better fuel economy BUT- I removed the EGR cooler ($500.00 kit and a weekend in the garage pulling out and re installing the intake manifold) after reading many horror stories of broken head studs and blown head gaskets from coolant entry into the intake from this poorly designed little device. Of course I then had to purchase a custom tuner (another $400.00) to get rid of the CEL to pass inspection.
Then driving back from Watkins Glen it spit off the turbo boot at the turbo and kept spitting it off every 50 to 100 miles from Albany. Turns out that the crankcase ventilation is fed directly into the intake just before the turbo. This coats the intercooler ducting, hoses stc. with oil. Great design! Fix is a re plumbing of CV to a small accumulating tank and new turbo boots.
This is a 2004 so I hope they addressed these issues with the newer models. I attribute this to a hasty attempt to meet new EPA rules for diesels in this time frame. I would agree that an extended warranty is wise.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Matt Graham
Intermediate

I've got a 2001 7.3L Excursion. Love the heck out of the thing. Right at 210,000 miles on mine, and as far as I can tell, she'll be with me for a while yet.

The weak point on the 7.3L isn't the engine, it's everything bolted to it. My transmission went out at 180,000 miles despite regular fluid changes/maint, but with all of the towing I do (it's been towing an enclosed trailer up and down the East coast since 60,000 miles) I really can't complain.

I spent a little $$$ on beefed up rear springs, an aftermarket swaybar, and some new shocks, and the difference in ride and towing is considerable. I'd advise anyone purchasing an Ex to tow to look at suspension upgrades of some kind. Ford suspended the thing for soccer moms, not for towing, so despite the SuperDuty frame/drive train, the stock suspension is a little too mushy for worry free towing.

My only problem now is that the driver's seat and steering wheel are starting to wear out.

-Matt
Old 11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
JClark
Instructor

The problems with the 6.0 are well documented and easily fixable with affordable aftermarket parts. Dont fear it, research it.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the 7.3 Excursions?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,620 Likes on 751 Posts

I spent a little $$$ on beefed up rear springs, an aftermarket swaybar, and some new shocks, and the difference in ride and towing is considerable. I'd advise anyone purchasing an Ex to tow to look at suspension upgrades of some kind. Ford suspended the thing for soccer moms, not for towing, so despite the SuperDuty frame/drive train, the stock suspension is a little too mushy for worry free towing.
+1 I only added good shocks, heavier sway bar in the rear, air bags and a Superchip. Loved it.

Quick Reply: Excursion 7.3 diesel vs 6.0 diesel