Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is more fun?
Keep the GT3. You'll grow into it.
43.75%
Get a slower, track only car and drive it at the limit.
56.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Which would be more fun? GT3 or Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, your car looks great. Who did your cage?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Dave, your car looks great. Who did your cage?
Kenny Conway in Hanover, MA. He did the same cage on Charlie's and Colin's cars.

More pics at http://gallery.me.com/meowmeowmeow#1...lack&view=grid
Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

6 cup
Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no expert on this topic, but anytime you can drive a car close to it's limits you will progress better and faster as a driver. If the OP does not feel they can drive their GT3 close to it's limits, then yes maybe spending some time in a lesser powerful car is the right thing to do. But sooner or later they will need to get back into the GT3 ... since that is the bad *** track car most of us want.

I had a blast this last summer driving my '97 993 C2 in 16 track days and learned tons about my car and my current skill set. I am sure a more accomplished driver could find a little extra performance out of my car that I have yet to find, but I am driving the car close to it's limits and passed a number of 911 Turbos and even the odd GT3 because those drivers were not driving their respective cars close to the car's limits. Of course when I did share the track with an accomplished driver with a more powerful car, it was not even close. They smoked me.

I lust for a GT3 and even had some crazy thoughts going through my head earlier this year towards selling my 993 to get a GT3. But reality as set back in. I am not poor, but I currently can not afford to buy a GT3 until I have a better idea when the #### my career is going in this ever so poor economy of ours. So I will be back in my 993 C2 next season trying to find a little extra performance and yes I am sure half way through the season the lust for the GT3 will be there with the little devil who lives in my head.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i would say in much simpler terms - if you have $40K available annually to burn - start with a GT3, $10K - with a boxster.

it will be 3rd year for me of my car ownership and I am consistently seem to waste around of $20K on this car hobby, even without any major repairs to powertrain yet. whole car now looks to me like a collection of pricetags on each of its parts.

but imho one who says - nevermind, it lasts forever, engine never dies from DE, etc - it is a major BS.
everything is expendable and everything has a price, in both time and $.

Quick Reply: Which would be more fun? GT3 or Boxster?