Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best "aero" helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe is right on target - more a function of air into and over the cockpit.

I owned an SR-3 and unless you are very tall, you will not likely have issues. That windscreen does a good job of forcing the air over the top of your head. But I would bring some Plexiglas and aluminum to fabricate a small windshield tab, should you need it.

For perspective, this can be really difficult. In Skippy car at Road America, the buffeting was so bad I could not read the brake markers into Canada corner - they were a blur. Even worse, one of the first outings in the Stohr, at Gateway, it was much worse, even though the speed was only a bit over 130. It was so bad, I could not see the gap in the wall for T1, which is flat in that car. I had to brake at S/F to get my vision stable to see the gap in the wall. But if I was following someone, I could go flat because I didn't need to see, just stick on their tail. For the Stohr, it was solved with a little windscreen which worked much better than helmet add-ons.

Regardless, make sure the helmet is a good fit because there will be cases where there is lift and buffeting - maybe following someone, maybe the nature of the tunnel effect of a straight with grandstands, etc.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:02 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool. Thanks for all the great input guys!

A quick Google got me to our own Mark at OG Racing for spoilers -
That's where I'm getting mine from! Already shipped.

Quick Reply: Best "aero" helmet?