Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The New Tow Combo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Doc...hope you make it to Sebring soon. I will be there next weekend and the following weekend...Chin then PCA events.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:02 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Sweet! Found a new one shipped to my door for $140.
Sherline scales are great, I keep one in my trailer and anyone is welcome to borrow it at the track....

You also need the loaded weight of your trailer to figure out the percentages. For that you need a public scale (or similar) and you can get your tongue weight there too. Pull your loaded rig onto the scales forward enough so your truck's rear tires just clear the scale area. Take a weight reading there. Then jack up the trailer enough to disconnect/clear the hitch ball making sure the jack's foot rests on the scales. This will give you your loaded trailer weight and the difference between the two is your tongue weight....
Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey DOC great rig! Do yourself a favor & have your dealer do a check on the EGR cooler history on the truck. I am going though some pain right now because of this. The minute the odometer went past the warrantee on my truck it failed headed to a race weekend.

The EGR cooler failure is a common problem on the 6.0 motor when it gets to higher millage. The other problem with this is the repair is it usually requires head gasket & oil cooler replacement.

Not trying to rain on your parade i love my truck & it gave me may miles of trouble free towing. I just wish someone had given me a heads up so i could have purchased an extended warrantee.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Doc...hope you make it to Sebring soon. I will be there next weekend and the following weekend...Chin then PCA events.
Well, my wedding is this weekend and then the honeymoon so I may be done for this year but I'm looking to do Sebring early next year! We will hook up!

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Sherline scales are great, I keep one in my trailer and anyone is welcome to borrow it at the track....

You also need the loaded weight of your trailer to figure out the percentages. For that you need a public scale (or similar) and you can get your tongue weight there too. Pull your loaded rig onto the scales forward enough so your truck's rear tires just clear the scale area. Take a weight reading there. Then jack up the trailer enough to disconnect/clear the hitch ball making sure the jack's foot rests on the scales. This will give you your loaded trailer weight and the difference between the two is your tongue weight....
Cool. I have a scale about 5 miles from me.

Originally Posted by Rene
Hey DOC great rig! Do yourself a favor & have your dealer do a check on the EGR cooler history on the truck. I am going though some pain right now because of this. The minute the odometer went past the warrantee on my truck it failed headed to a race weekend.

The EGR cooler failure is a common problem on the 6.0 motor when it gets to higher millage. The other problem with this is the repair is it usually requires head gasket & oil cooler replacement.

Not trying to rain on your parade i love my truck & it gave me may miles of trouble free towing. I just wish someone had given me a heads up so i could have purchased an extended warrantee.
Yes, I've read up on that! This is the version 2 of the 6.0 so it has the better head studs, revised EGR valve, ect. It did get a new one when bought and I'm taking it to th dealer to let them give it the once over before factory warranty runs out. I do have an extra 100K warranty as well!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Even with the revised EGR, it is highly recommended to add diesel fuel additive (Stanadyne or equivalent) to each tank when filling up.

US ULSD is really crappy, low cetane and ends up coking on the EGR (and everything else in the path).

It's worth the small $ IMHO.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:25 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
Even with the revised EGR, it is highly recommended to add diesel fuel additive (Stanadyne or equivalent) to each tank when filling up.

US ULSD is really crappy, low cetane and ends up coking on the EGR (and everything else in the path).

It's worth the small $ IMHO.
+1 on this on any of the diesels. My Chebby just recently coked the EGR system even with the 100k mile warranty it's still $100 deductible and an afternoon in the shop.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately the once simple, reliable diesel has now become more complex and less reliable than gas motors in an effort to get clean. The noisy smokey ones were bulletproof, now not so much. I have a number of diesels in my business, and my 8 litre gas motor is zero maintenance compared to them. Of course you can't buy this motor any more either. Too bad, 450lb. torque, (not diesel territory, but plenty) and no problematic new fangled emissions controls
Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

The plan is to do the EGR delete. I already did the exhaust and the tuner so the "emission" hot tune is gone for a more reliable tune and the EGTs are down. The tuner does reduce the use of the EGR now but the delete is top of the list! My truck has extended powertrain warranty until 200K miles.

You just can't beat 14-16mpg towing 8000lbs.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Very nice Doc!
What is your next event at Sebring?

I've had a '06 F350 King ranch and put 140K miles on it. I did not have EGR problems, unlike my '04 chevy.. Only Injectors were failing towards the end, so your extended warranty will be worth it!

I am sticking with Cummins now ;-) Dodge looks goofy, but zero problems so far.

Maybe I can make someone happy with my old truck;
I listed my '08 Dodge diesel dually with 40K miles (After my VIR trip) for sale on autotrader. You've seen it at Roebling. Truck is perfect.
It is about to get traded in for cheap on an '11 after I get back from VIR next week. I was going to do it this week but ran out of time; I have to add the gooseneck and move aux tank etc..
Asking 33K, but trade equivalent is roughly $32K (tax advantage and I get to take off aux tank $1800.00). Set up for gooseneck with 75gal aux tank.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Very nice Doc!
What is your next event at Sebring?

I've had a '06 F350 King ranch and put 140K miles on it. I did not have EGR problems, unlike my '04 chevy.. Only Injectors were failing towards the end, so your extended warranty will be worth it!

I am sticking with Cummins now ;-) Dodge looks goofy, but zero problems so far.

Maybe I can make someone happy with my old truck;
I listed my '08 Dodge diesel dually with 40K miles (After my VIR trip) for sale on autotrader. You've seen it at Roebling. Truck is perfect.
It is about to get traded in for cheap on an '11 after I get back from VIR next week. I was going to do it this week but ran out of time; I have to add the gooseneck and move aux tank etc..
Asking 33K, but trade equivalent is roughly $32K (tax advantage and I get to take off aux tank $1800.00). Set up for gooseneck with 75gal aux tank.

Hey Peter, how's it going! Yes, your Dodge is in very nice shape! I got the Oasis report on my truck to check and the dealer went thru and checked all the injectors and replaced 3 that were out of spec and put in a new EGR valve and all the TSBs were done so it should be great! I'm looking to hit Sebring early next year for sure! It is always better there in the cooler months! I got some 18 inch wheels so now I can get the track rubber you told me about on the cheap! See you soon!

Doc
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

SO jealous......

Quick Reply: The New Tow Combo!