Sponsored by:

Ever Seen a Toyo R888 Do This?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
True...what I was getting at as a DE guy I do not spend the money a race guy spends and also I am not on TV like a semi-pro or pro racer is so a lot of these company's do not care what I think about their product.

So I was happy they helped me out a little with the tire. However in the back of my mind I am now cautious with these tires. I'd love to try some other tire/brand but nobody makes anything in R-Comps that fit my car.....

I could go up to the stock 19" size and run MPSC, Pirelli Corsa or the new Trofeo but dang...$500+ for each rear tire!
i think it was just a glitch - i see plenty of people on toyos and no one had anything like you got there, plus in your own history it was a first occurence... any tire can go bad, it just happens.
you can always try kumho v710. those are not bad.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

Good for Toyo for stepping up and giving you a refund. Great customer service.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually I've seen the exact same thing on one of my toyos. I thought it was my trailer tire rack. Will take a pic if I haven't tossed that tire by now.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's called tread splicing. It happens when the overlap starts to come apart. Everone needs to read and do this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=161 . I had a new set of Kumhos do this after one weekend and they gave me a complete refund except for what it cost me to send them back. Point is...we should all check the condition of tires often. I've followed guys coming off the track and can see the cords...
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Musche
It's called tread splicing. It happens when the overlap starts to come apart. Everone needs to read and do this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=161 . I had a new set of Kumhos do this after one weekend and they gave me a complete refund except for what it cost me to send them back. Point is...we should all check the condition of tires often. I've followed guys coming off the track and can see the cords...
Yep that is what I had....thanks for the link! This happened on the front tire so it must have been from braking force or possible sliding in a turn.

I wonder then if it is better to maybe have the tire rotate on the rim a little...for some give? I've been getting my tires mounted dry to stop rotation and I had my rim bead blasted for tire bead grip. That stopped the rears from rotating and the fronts will now only rotate about .5-1" in 4 hard DE days. They use to rotate 1/2 to 3/4 around the rim.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also found that dry mounting the tires has almost eliminated the tire from rotating on the rim at the track. I have a couple of NT01's that have a similar condition to what you pictured. I need to re-examine them and look for a seam.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM
e46 zcp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately with tread spice issues you always have the option to rotate the tire to the other side of the car and continue using it. Good to hear Toyo stood behind the issue whether a cut or a splice issue.

Quick Reply: Ever Seen a Toyo R888 Do This?