Sponsored by:

Ariel Atom V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
I'd love to own an Atom. Heck even the original. They look like pure driving nirvana....
And...get this, the latest version offered has more interior room. Upon checking out an overseas Atom forum, there were plenty of tall guys driving them.

Do Want.

C.
The guy who built my cage also has a full fabrication business. He builds custom Atom-like vehicles, the latest of which is running a Hayabusa engine, for a fraction of the cost. Check it out.

Pipe Dreams Fab
Old 10-16-2010, 11:15 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that I think about it, besides the skinny rear tires, what is stopping this thing from pulling massive wheelies?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 AM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ ubercooper, you are on to something IMO.

An Atom owner in England had a highly boosted Honda version, with stronger axles, clutch, etc. and big slicks. He took it to the strip and it did wheelies!

I happen to know first hand that Atoms only handle really well with 275+ rear tires. I'm in contact with the factory, and begged them to mount bigger rears on the V8 car. But they chose to use 245 rears, and said it would be ok because it has traction control.

I now wonder if the real reason for the smallish rear tires is to prevent wheelies (and maybe broken axles).
Old 10-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Very kewl. Expensive? Maybe. But think of the savings on windscreen cleaner.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:45 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Very kewl. Expensive? Maybe. But think of the savings on windscreen cleaner.
That would be a wash anyways; you'd spend a ton on dental floss getting the bugs out of your teeth..

Are these thing considered an "open wheel car"? Something Lone Star PCA in Houston does not allow on their DE's.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
'that might take a few feverish Ariel addicts aback is that the 500 is likely to cost around £140,000 depending on your exact specification'.

standard atom version with honda engine costs very reasonable below $50K if I am not mistaken, so, what all the crazy premium goes for? just v8 engine?
The engine alone is "only" $28K from Hartley--a little over $30K for the stroked 3L version w/DTA engine management. http://www.h1v8.com/h1h2pricing.html

140K GBP = almost $220K USD at current exchange rates. That's crazy money for that car. For $150k you could take a chance on Dennis Palatov's DP1 w/ the same engine, 4-wheel drive, and a better aero package. http://www.dpcars.net/dp1.htm

TT

Quick Reply: Ariel Atom V8