Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Club Race article

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010 | 04:38 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Default Club Race article

Potomac is celebrating its 55th anniversary this year. The PCA club racing program was started by Potomac member Alan Friedman, so I figured that was a story worth telling. The more I got into the research, the better it got.

The article I wrote for the club magazine is http://www.pcapotomac.org/der%20Vorg...aceArticle.pdf People are saying its a good read.

The full commemorative edition of the club magazine is also available at http://www.pcapotomac.org/der%20Vorg...ctober2010.pdf We've done a ton of work over the past two years to recreate the magazine, and this issue is one of our best IMHO. OK, I'm a bit biased.
Old 10-13-2010 | 05:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Nice job Tony, but the headline should have been "Sean and Gary battle for the lead in D at the 55th Potomac Club Race!"

Old 10-13-2010 | 05:51 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Very interesting read.
Old 10-13-2010 | 06:23 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Well done Tony. Fun to look back on those early days. Who remembers the F troop? Mike Trombley's early 911s? Mike Mount's fire breathing 944s? Gordon Nagle anyone?

Here is a trivia question for the day... what was the original "rennlist" called?
Old 10-13-2010 | 06:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJR911
Well done Tony. Fun to look back on those early days. Who remembers the F troop? Mike Trombley's early 911s? Mike Mount's fire breathing 944s? Gordon Nagle anyone?

Here is a trivia question for the day... what was the original "rennlist" called? Any what was the format before "forums?"
I go back to UNIX USENET, followed by Compuserve, then came the use of browsers...
Old 10-13-2010 | 06:51 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Mike Mount's fire breathing 944s?
Take a look at the picture of David Mann on the second page [p32]. The car under the pop-up right behind David's car is Mike Mount's car, and I believe that's Mike in the picture as well. I collected a good set of pics from the first race and Mike's car was in a few of them. The article grew bigger than I'd planned, so we had to drop most of the pics to fit it, unfortunately.

I was surprised by the number of guys who raced in that first race and are still racing today, 19 years later!
Old 10-13-2010 | 07:02 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist used to be called Porschelist and before that, was called PorscheFans. At least that's what I remember.

I must've been doing this a long time even though I'm 44 years old...I remember Mount, Nagle, the Franco brothers, etc. That was the days that the Potomac Red group was the pinnacle to reach in DE and you rarely saw a factory race car. Good memories.
Old 10-13-2010 | 07:59 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tony for putting the October issue of der Vorganger up for all of us to read and enjoy. That's got to be the BEST issue of a PCA monthly newsletter ever!
Great to catch up with lots of old friends.
Congratulations to all of you that put it together. Great reading.
Old 10-13-2010 | 10:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

You guys are geezing; my parents hadn't even gotten rid of their baby teeth back then.

Can't wait until my 23rd birthday!
Old 10-13-2010 | 10:27 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Here is a trivia question for the day... what was the original "rennlist" called?
Wasn't it "Porsche List"?
Old 10-14-2010 | 08:17 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I remember them all & I was part of F troop.

And wasn't it Porschephiles?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-14-2010 | 08:52 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Tony,
What a great article! I've only been with the PCA and Potomac since 2005. But I've learned so much about the Club this year, between the 55th Celebration and now your article about Club Racing. And as mentioned, great to see so many familiar names from the very first PCA Potomac Club Race.

At PCA Potomac's 2010 CR earlier this month, after rebuilding my car following a harrowing broken control arm incident during the final Friday practice session, I had a terrific duel with David Mann during the final Sprint Race on Saturday. I had spent the early part of Saturday working with others to put my car back together, and missed the Practice and Sprint Race One. Needless to say, I was cautious in the early laps of Sprint Race Two, but once I was confident the car was working safe and well, I picked up the pace. Starting from the back, I was able to catch and pass the 2nd place SP2 car, and then started reeling in David. OMG.....even though I had clocked lap times about 1 sec quicker than David, he was brilliant about keeping me behind him. In concert with the concept of "safe and fun racing" as promoted by PCA CR and 13/13, neither of us did anything stupid. His years of experience were quite evident. But it was so much fun!! I drove to his paddock immdiately after the race, and both us were sweating bullets, but grinning from ear to ear!

Thanks again for the great and enlightening article. And thank you to PCA for making our Club Racing program such a great reality!!

Quick Reply: Club Race article