Sponsored by:

Forgeline Motorsports - New Sponsor

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Dave, welcome to Rennlist. I have 18 inch centerlock Forgelines on my RS, perfect fit and they look great!
Better caliper clearance than some other brands too.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Jury is still out for me. I put my new set on the RS, but the fronts wouldn't hold air. I made the call and was told it was probably the tire mounting process that typically causes a damaged silicone seal. I took them to another tire shop (Porsche) and looks like one of them was def broken (seal) and the other one probably encountered same problem. I sent them back to forgeline for resealing and they will be at Porsche any day for remounting. But, they look great! Can't wait to find out how they perform.

Perhaps a warning for the fronts??? (especially since it seems to happen often) Be careful that the shop you use has short tools or something?? Pretty frustrating so far.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 10-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Jury is still out for me. I put my new set on the RS, but the fronts wouldn't hold air. I made the call and was told it was probably the tire mounting process that typically causes a damaged silicone seal. I took them to another tire shop (Porsche) and looks like one of them was def broken (seal) and the other one probably encountered same problem. I sent them back to forgeline for resealing and they will be at Porsche any day for remounting. But, they look great! Can't wait to find out how they perform.

Perhaps a warning for the fronts??? (especially since it seems to happen often) Be careful that the shop you use has short tools or something?? Pretty frustrating so far.
First of all, sorry for your tire mounting issues, I know how frustrating that can be. On the RS and also the standard GT3, we have to use a 1" outer rim shell which puts the seal at the top of the wheel. If a tire changer doesn't use a plastic covered tire tool (which he always should on a set of expensive rims) and then shoves it hard into the seal it can cut it, causing a leak. He should also not have to shove the tire tool down into the drop center, you can get plenty of force on the upper lip to push the tire down.
In addition, about 30 days ago we switched to a new higher strength sealer, on all of our wheels, which should help protect against overzealous tire changers. It is considerably tougher to penetrate and will help eliminate this problem. Your wheels were repaired with this new sealer, let me know what you think about it.
We do put a warning sticker on all our wheels about the silicone seal, but I agree we may need to put a larger more prevalent one on the front wheels. Thank you for the feedback on our wheels and I hope enjoy them for years to come.

President
Forgeline Motorsports
3522 Kettering Blvd.
Dayton, Ohio 45439

http://www.forgeline.com

Facebook Post
Old 10-25-2010, 04:52 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Forgeline
First of all, sorry for your tire mounting issues, I know how frustrating that can be. On the RS and also the standard GT3, we have to use a 1" outer rim shell which puts the seal at the top of the wheel. If a tire changer doesn't use a plastic covered tire tool (which he always should on a set of expensive rims) and then shoves it hard into the seal it can cut it, causing a leak. He should also not have to shove the tire tool down into the drop center, you can get plenty of force on the upper lip to push the tire down.
In addition, about 30 days ago we switched to a new higher strength sealer, on all of our wheels, which should help protect against overzealous tire changers. It is considerably tougher to penetrate and will help eliminate this problem. Your wheels were repaired with this new sealer, let me know what you think about it.
We do put a warning sticker on all our wheels about the silicone seal, but I agree we may need to put a larger more prevalent one on the front wheels. Thank you for the feedback on our wheels and I hope enjoy them for years to come.
Thanks for the response David. He did use a plastic tire tool...even showed it to me when I went back up there. Still got into the seal enough to allow air in there. Porsche has a tool they use that doesn't even go into the rim. So, I think it will be a non-issue when they remount them. I'm looking forward to them being on the car...they look a bit better than the stock rims. You peeps are very good to deal with there as well. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 535 Posts

I have purchased 10 sets of wheels from Dave. Never had a fitmant or quality issue and I have always received outstanding customer service.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm just a so called DE guy...but I am just scared to deather of 3 piece wheels. I always hear about tire mounting issues and leaks and so forth. I understand why a race team would use them for rebuilding purpose and race teams have multipule sets so if one wheels goes bad it's not big deal.

However for a DE guy like me with 1 set of track wheels and if I need to flip tires or mount new tires in between events it's scarey knowing a 3 piece wheel can have a issue. I stick with mono-block wheel for these reasons.

I'm getting a little bored with my black CCW wheels and am thinking of selling them in a few weeks after my next 2 back to back DE's coming up. I'm looking at the Forgeline mono-blocks as well as some other light weight forged wheels.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I've had no issues with my 3 piece BBS so far and i would have preferred monoblocks, but they were not available in April. Now that I bent one rim, I am glad the repair is only a few hundred bucks and I like 3 piece
Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 535 Posts

As stated above. I have not had any problems with Forgeline 3 piece wheels. I am looking a set of the Forgeline monobloc wheels for track use. It's a good looking wheel.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Mark Anderson
The Parts Whisperer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 366 Likes on 176 Posts

I've had my 3 sets for many years and couldn't be happier. Well maybe if Dave stopped by and cleaned them for me after every weekend.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I have purchased 10 sets of wheels from Dave. Never had a fitmant or quality issue and I have always received outstanding customer service.
I have Alan's former car (the 993) and I bought a set of his forgelines at the same time (early 2006).
Still pretty much as good as new. I do clean and inspect all my wheels carefully after each event.
Btw, if Alan offers to sell you one of his cars, say yes.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Forgeline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three piece wheels definitely have their advantages, but for some people the seal can be a problem. However, the vast majority of our customers do not have any problems. We spend a lot of time researching sealers and methods of making the seal stick better, without making it impossible to get off when you need to make a repair. In fact, we have upgraded our sealer 3 times in the last 3 years, with our latest sealer by far the best. It has excellent adhesion properties and is very hard to penetrate. We won't stop there though, we will continue to search out for an even better one, so eventually this will not be an issue at all.
That being said, there a lot of customers out there that just prefer one-piece wheels for other reasons as well such as style and ease of use. That is why we made our EV1R and are working on other 1 piece projects for next year.

Mike, if you are looking at our one piece, give me a call or PM and I'll get you a very competitive price.

Mark - If you lived a little closer I would

And yes I agree- Alan's car's are always very nice and typically not used much, as he likes to change them often....
Old 10-27-2010, 06:59 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

CCW isn't making wheels for the new RS. And, they (CCW) certainly doesn't have a product to compete with the looks of Forgeline. IMO. I have some CCW's I'll be selling soon that I used 2x on my 996 GT3. They are grey if anyone is interested and have hoohoos mounted on them.

BTW, BBS has managed to have tremendous success with 3 piece competition wheels. I would expect these guys can do the same.

Quick Reply: Forgeline Motorsports - New Sponsor