Sponsored by:

NASA GTS - Autobahn wrapup

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA GTS - Autobahn wrapup

Thank you to the many GTS drivers who attended Round 2 of the Autobahn Country Club event. Despite a shakey start with the weather, the conditions were perfect for our string of continued action and lap records.

Saturday started out wet with the entire field getting some mileage on the rain tires. It appeared that conditions were drying in time for qualifying as the GTS competitors largely started changing to dry's as word swept through the paddock. This turns out to be a significant game-changer as a light drizzle started backup up minutes before the qualifying session and slippery conditions created a very challenging environment for those competitors on dry's.

The GTS2 BMW of Nobu Kamino had a damaging off during this session that cost him some bodywork but he was back racing on Sunday. The track had tried but was quite green for the race. Because of the wet/dry decisions during qualifying the starting grid was quite mixed with the GTS2 BMW of Tom Tiede on the pole followed by the GTS3 Audi of Matt Markowicz and the GTS2 Porsche of Enzo Campagnolo rounding out the top 3.

The award for best first laps go to the GTS3 BMW of Vince Ko who passed 6 cars on lap one and Roy Lipner who passed 8 cars on the first lap! Despite the green track two new lap records were set on Saturday's race:
New Track Record (1:35.987) for GTS3 by Roy Lipner.
New Track Record (1:38.562) for GTS2 by Enzo Campagnolo
On Sunday the sun was out and the day started with big possibilities. With warm track temperatures and cool dense air the drivers knew that more records were likely today.

On the poles by lap times were:
GTS4 Porsche - Chris Streit qualifying with a 1:32.522
GTS3 BMW - Korey Deason 1:34.967 (better than existing record)
GTS2 Porsche - Enzo Campagnolo with a 1:36.934 (better than existing record)
GTS1 - Paul Milligan qualifying with a 1:41.345 (better than existing record)

In GTS4, Streit gained a large margin on the field and attained the track record that had stood since 2006 set by the previous GTS Director, Chris Orr. The Porsche of Ralf Lindackers finished 2nd followed by a tremendous dice between the Porsche (and rookie) Dave Connally, the Team Catatonic Racing BMW, and Nic Georgieff (Porsche). The Audi of Mark Siggelkow continues to improve with only minor issues preventing a finish today.

On the start Streit gained a quick lead with Lipner attempting to slot in behind. Deason, who had qualified with the fastest time of the weekend, shuts the door on Lipner. A few laps in, Lipner makes a late braking pass into Turn 8 and hold the GTS3 lead untill the end with a scant 3 second margin. Battling for 3rd and 4th, The BMW of Vince Ko and the Audi of Matt Markowicz maintained close proximity for the first 20 minutes of the race but as Ko worked traffic he built a sizable lead througout the second half of the race.

In GTS2 the visiting Great Lakes Porsche 944 driver Enzo Campagnolo finished with a 50 second lead over the Audi of Matt Markowicz with Cates and Tiede close behind. Kamino retired in Lap 4.

Visting Great Lakes driver John Graber (Porsche 944) took the GTS1 win with a 5 second lead over Paul Milligan.

When the dust settled, all represented classes obtained a new track record. Congratulations to:

New Track Record (1:31.238) for GTS4 by Chris Streit.
New Track Record (1:34.808) for GTS3 by Roy Lipner.
New Track Record (1:37.656) for GTS2 by Enzo Campagnolo
New Track Record (1:40.559) for GTS1 by John Graber

Photo by Shon Lo
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting this on Rennlist Chris. Hopefully I will see you at Putnam.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write-up, and great pics. Nice to see the inside guy giving room with going 3 wide - heads up racing. It was great to watch the "Thunder race- great turnout made for lots of racing.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice write up and great pics. One small correction- it wasn't Nobu who had the damaging off during Sat qualifying.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure hope all you guys can make it to the NASA Championships at Mid Ohio this time next year.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:14 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:59 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the off/damage was Cates in the GTS2 BMW rather than Kamino, somehow got those two mixed up (all Bimmers look alike?).

All in all a great weekend though. Not sure about everyone but we're definitely planning on making a run at Nationals next year. 2nd place two years in a row left me wanting.

Great to see all you Great Lakes guys, makes me wistful for 5 years ago with the Clark's and the rest of the old gang.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

We will be in GTS4 next year as well.
We also will be adding a second car to the team that will run in GTS3 since our main car will be moving to GTS4 now.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI Viking, I think a great number of Eastern, Midwest and Great Lakes guys are focusing on next year and the Mid Ohio Championship. I will moving permanently up to GTS 3 and expect to run the entire season.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disasterman
FYI Viking, I think a great number of Eastern, Midwest and Great Lakes guys are focusing on next year and the Mid Ohio Championship. I will moving permanently up to GTS 3 and expect to run the entire season.
Thats great ! - I love seeing the big car fields.
I was talking to a few of the California GTS guys and hopefully they too will make it next year. I would love to see a true GTS championship where the best of the east,west,south, and midwest all show up.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Wish i coulda been there.

Quick Reply: NASA GTS - Autobahn wrapup