Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slicks and sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010 | 09:30 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Mark, of course it can create other mitigating by products of excessive toe changes.
Yup. You have to test this on your car, but I have never had an issue with this approach, but I have not done it on a car the has a lot of suspension issues to start with (such as major bump steer).

What I failed to mention is that the EASIEST way to generate heat is to start with lower tire pressures. You get a lot more squirm and generate heat. You may even end up with the same pressure, even starting lower than expected. The 'rule of thumb' is drop 1psi for every 10 degree F drop in ambient temp. So if you normally start at 30 psi at 70F, start with 27 at 40F. But you could take another 5 psi off, starting with only 22 psi, and see what happens. This will sound crazy, but there were times that I started with 8/10 psi in my sports racer.

Second easiest way to get heat is add toe.

But you always have to test this with your car. Much easier to do, and fewer unintended consequences with a purpose built car, as there are fewer compromises in the setup to start with.

Quick Reply: Slicks and sizes?