Sponsored by:

3.6L Boxster vs. 3.8L 997 Battle Royale at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6L Boxster vs. 3.8L 997 Battle Royale at Sebring

Last weekend was the September PBOC Race at Sebring and while attendance was very light for the race I had all I could handle battling my friend in his Black 997 3.8L race car. Here are two videos that show some of the action.

As a side note: I'm in the red car on Hoosier R6 and he is on Hoosier Slicks

http://vimeo.com/14943855

http://vimeo.com/14957582
Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

^ already with the excuses........at least your tires were round.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Verbotn: are you referring to the difference in tires? I just want everyone to understand the playing field, no excuses. A 3.8L on Hoosier Slicks should and is, almost faster, than a Boxster 3.6L on R6's.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Just having fun.......great weekend
Old 09-14-2010, 03:23 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

fun to watch, thanks for posting. Although you're on R6's, your tighter line made up the difference for the slicks.
Great vid!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Verbotn...Thanks for being a ball buster!

chopperzz,
Yeah, I'm hoping that when I change to slicks I can maintain the tighter line but carry more speed and get back to full throttle sooner with the extra grip. At least that is where I hope to find more time, like 1-2 seconds at Sebring.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Brinkley
Pro

I can't believe it! Everyone goes on and on about which is better mid engine vs. rear engine and here is good video showing what is possible and two people respond!!

However, the question of, should I drink Gatorade vs. Water gets 3 pages at last count! (no offense to the person who asked the question)

Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As an owner of a Cayman, I loved to watch your videos. Sebring is my home track and learned a great deal watching your line. Thx for posting!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
I can't believe it! Everyone goes on and on about which is better mid engine vs. rear engine and here is good video showing what is possible and two people respond!!
Thoroughly enjoyed it! Fun to watch you each in the braking zones... I would have thought the rear engined could have out braked the mid, but your track position seemed to take any (small) advantage away. It'd be nice to see his vids also....
Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

However, the question of, should I drink Gatorade vs. Water gets 3 pages at last count! (no offense to the person who asked the question)

I own a Boxster and a 911 (964) and both are driven on the track. I feel the mid-engined Boxster handles better under most conditions due to the balanced weight but I prefer my 911 due to it's power and horse power (3.8L, 310 rwhp) compared to the 986 (2.7L, 285 rwhp). That being said, you were driving a better line than the 911 and therefore being balanced it seemed to perform better. I noticed steady hands on the wheel as well, which should be commended. What caused the spin in Turn 3? I didn't notice excessive lift, so I'm still wondering why?

The Gatorade vs. Water thread was interesting as many commented on what they were currently doing. I also posted a comment on that thread.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Nicely done, Brinkley. However, you should not have let that white Viper get away in T1 at the very beginning. You gave up mucho speed there.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Sam,

You know the spin in turn 3 was a combination of a couple of things.

First, I have been attempting to carry more speed through the entire corner. Or put another way, I've tried to brake less and carry more speed from turn in, apex, and track out.

With that I have to be more diligent during the time I'm off the brakes and going back to throttle. The back is light and I'm already turning into the apex. If I am late back to the gas the rear continues to rotate and I spin. But if I'm back to gas early and the car hasn't rotated enough I push.

So my assessment is that I was lazy back to throttle and the car continued to rotate and I was slow with my hands to counter the spin.

If any driving coaches see something different let me know, this is just my thought.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam,

First, I have been attempting to carry more speed through the entire corner. Or put another way, I've tried to brake less and carry more speed from turn in, apex, and track out.

With that I have to be more diligent during the time I'm off the brakes and going back to throttle. The back is light and I'm already turning into the apex. If I am late back to the gas the rear continues to rotate and I spin. But if I'm back to gas early and the car hasn't rotated enough I push.

So my assessment is that I was lazy back to throttle and the car continued to rotate and I was slow with my hands to counter the spin.

If any driving coaches see something different let me know, this is just my thought.
I think you analyzed your issues very well. You know your car better than us, who just watch the video. Your hands were smooth and I never noticed throttle lift off, so I can relate to your reasoning. Now, how do correct this and not make it happen again is your challenge. Good job and explanation.

BTW, tell me more about your Boxster (weight, hp, suspension, chip, etc.) Is it a Spec Boxster built? Your video title mentioned Boxster GT? Not sure what, if any, is the difference?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Sam,

I remember your buddy's 216 car from VIR & Barber, I think.

Looked to me as if you may have added more steering as you entered the corner, as it appeared you were coming in hot & may have been way wide of the apex had you not. That + being off throttle + slow hands = a surprised car & a spin, IMO.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Brinkley
Pro

It's not a Spec Boxster.

It was an original 3.2L Boxster S. It has been gutted but retains the stock calipers and rotors front and rear. It has stock lower control arms front and rear. 7 year old PSS9's! Boy, GT3 Lower control arms and Moton's I think would do the car wonders.

The 3.6L is an '05 996 motor I purchased from the dealer but back in the day when we did the conversion, the local shops couldn't get it to run with stock wiring harness and ECU. So it has a MoTec M800 ECU and MoTec wiring harness and dash. Due to all the conversion trouble I was feed up and told the Motec tuner to tune it conservatively for motor longevity. It dyno'd at stock 996 power, I think 295 rwhp, there abouts.

It weighs 2842 with full fuel, cool suite full, Driver (230lbs).

Quick Reply: 3.6L Boxster vs. 3.8L 997 Battle Royale at Sebring