Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spa Francorchamps - What an AWESOME TRACK!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts
Talking Spa Francorchamps - What an AWESOME TRACK!

Got into Spa yesterday for 9 days. Went to the track to meetup with a team running the Porsche Sport Cup there this weekend. Got to ride (but not drive 0 DANG IT!) four laps in a 3.8L 993. What an amazing track! The elevations are the things that blow me away. Exit from T1 is all downhill in a major way to the kink before a major run uphill. Very fast right-left combination and then down hill again. If I hadn't been concentrating all the way around the track, I wthink I would have upset the driver by hollering all lap long.

What a hoot! I love this track. Sports Cup had 40 Cup Cars running today. 2:26.01 was the fastest lap. It's a VERY LONG track!

If you get a chance to come here, DO IT! You'll not regret it. 2 hour enduro tomorrow.

YEEEHAWWWW.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Have driven it a couple of times. Absolutely awesome track, and beautiful too.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

This has been posted a few times before, but two of my favorite things...an early 911 and Spa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ84Fa-AqXY
Old 09-11-2010, 09:35 PM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Default A PICTURE IS WORTH... LOTS!!

Or... next time consider a shutter-bug tag along!

Enjoy!
Kim
Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

I spent 2 days there last year with RMA. One of the coolest parts was the track walk the first morning with Ron Simons and Dale of RSR Nuburg. I remember standing at turn 8 and looking over at turn 1 and thinking the elevation was pretty fantastic! Really cool track to get to, but bring your cajones. Eau Rouge and the fact that it is a super fast track make it memorable to say the least.

Name:  _MG_8411.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  143.3 KB
Old 09-12-2010, 12:23 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ

Pics are 2 months old, but.....

Insturctor lap (pretty good)......

My lap (lame, but I really enjoyed it)..........
Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

I did my days there with the Goodwood Road Racing Club. These are pix of Eau Rouge on the morning sighting drive before the track opened, to give some idea of what "elevation change" is all about. #1 and #2 are looking down the hill (#2 taken further down). #3 is the top of the hill looking forward and #4 same spot, just looking back. It's quite a place.
Attached Images     
Old 09-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Watched a driver ball up one of my friend's 997 Cups yesterday. Every corner of the car except right front is badly damaged. Looks like the tub is bent too so I'm guessing it's a writeoff. Driver is OK. Was feeling kinda bad for the driver since it was a rented ride. He had just recently sold his 996 Cup after his spouse grew more concerned about his safety.

HOWEVER, it seems my concerns were slightly misplaced as I saw the driver hop into his Carrera GT to head to his home away from home in Germany (he's Greek). I'm guessing that this is not such a financial burden for him!

Sure is for my friend though. His son placed fourth in the 2-hour endurance race on Sunday. Had he not had a drive-through penalty for putting a wheel pin back in during a refueling stop (can't do anything other than fueling service on that stop), I think he had a chance for the win.

Spa was pretty tough on the Sports Cup teams this weekend. I saw at least seven cars damaged pretty extensively. Even so, it was pretty awesome to watch the races here. Porsche Sports Cup uses a rolling start format, and the starter didn't seem to care about formations. As soon as the P1 and P2 cars came onto the front straight, the starter was throwing the flag. Kinda sucks for those without radios in mid-pack!

Fun times boys and girls. Will post a few pics when I get a chance.

Toby
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Will post a few pics when I get a chance.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

So we sat down to dinner last night at one of the local eateries in Spa, and a nice couple walk in and sit next to us. He has on a Porsche Motorsport jacket and we strike up a conversation. Turns out he is Peter Vestergren, president of the Porsche Club of Sweden. The Swedish club had rented the Nurburgring this past Tuesday - they had 150 cars and 180 drivers come from all over Sweden, and they had the entire Nurburgring to themselves ALL DAY LONG! No bikes, no taxis, no distractions - just the club. Then several of the Swedish drivers came over to Spa nad ran yesterday with the Porsche Club of Belgium. Man, if I had known they were going to be there, I would have begged/borrowed/bummed a ride somehow!

Peter and his wife were very nice! Great to meet them, and great to run into Porsche owners the world over - we ALWAYS have something to talk about!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:10 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
+1

I spent 2 days there last year with RMA. One of the coolest parts was the track walk the first morning with Ron Simons and Dale of RSR Nuburg. I remember standing at turn 8 and looking over at turn 1 and thinking the elevation was pretty fantastic! Really cool track to get to, but bring your cajones. Eau Rouge and the fact that it is a super fast track make it memorable to say the least.

Attachment 473758
Did you take Eau Rouge flat-out?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some pics I grabbed to post:

Paddock Area

LaSource Entry

LaSource Exit

Saturday's Porsche Sports Cup Sprint Start

Sunday's Porsche Sports Cup Enduro Start

Oh, and Porsche had a new GT2 RS on display all weekend. Pretty awesome car!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 AM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Mighty Spa how cool it must be to run through Eau Rouge! Hope to drive there one day, thanks for posting!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the pics!

Quick Reply: Spa Francorchamps - What an AWESOME TRACK!