Sponsored by:

R888 availability??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Default R888 availability??

Does anyone have a good source for R888's? I have been trying several locations for 225/40/18's and 265/35/18's. Tires direct I can't get through to circuits have been busy for days and anyone else wants over $100 more a tire but have them in stock. They show low quantity on the 265's and hate to buy on line only to find I come up short.

I have a DE at WG a week from Monday and I am running out of time fast. Any suggestions would be helpful.

One more question. I can get the RA-1's at nearly half the price but i have heard from some that they are not the same as the originals and some people were having issues with them. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check the discount tire direct listings on ebay. I found recently that while the 800 number discount tire direct was out of stock for the tire I was looking for, the ebay discount tire direct had them. Apparently, they have different inventories.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave DE
You might want to check the discount tire direct listings on ebay. I found recently that while the 800 number discount tire direct was out of stock for the tire I was looking for, the ebay discount tire direct had them. Apparently, they have different inventories.
That is interesting. I will look into it. I have been doing research on the Goodrich R-1's might be an interesting alternative.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 02:01 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Tony,

Try www.treadzone.com as I find they have the best prices and very quick delivery. Just bought new fronts for the Glen.

Tom
Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
Hi Tony,

Try www.treadzone.com as I find they have the best prices and very quick delivery. Just bought new fronts for the Glen.

Tom
Tom,

Thanks. Tires direct just got back to me 4 min ago and there on their way should be here by Tuesday. Worried I was going to have to cancel. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute. I will keep them in mind for future reference.

M's are mixing and psyched for the event. Heading up Sunday early we should get some people together for dinner.

See you there.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Anthony have you tried Bob Woodman Tire?

Also, I have a set of RA-1s as practice tires and they are performing just like the last set I had from a few years ago. I have 30 heat cycles on them and they still have a lot of tread left. I suspect I will get over 50 as I did on my previous set. Another similar option is the Nitto NT-01.

The BFG R-1s are closer to a Hoosier R6. They'll be faster but will heat cycle out much more quickly than an RA-1.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Tread Depot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cobalt
Does anyone have a good source for R888's? I have been trying several locations for 225/40/18's and 265/35/18's. Tires direct I can't get through to circuits have been busy for days and anyone else wants over $100 more a tire but have them in stock. They show low quantity on the 265's and hate to buy on line only to find I come up short.

I have a DE at WG a week from Monday and I am running out of time fast. Any suggestions would be helpful.

One more question. I can get the RA-1's at nearly half the price but i have heard from some that they are not the same as the originals and some people were having issues with them. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I have the 265's available and I can get the 225's picked up from Toyo. Give me a call and we can get things rolling.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you get really desperate you can drive to Creamery Tire in PA. They can get toyos the same or next day. I ordered my RA1s from them and I had them on the car the next day. Very low prices as well. It's just in the wrong state for you haha. They are open till 8pm as well.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Anthony have you tried Bob Woodman Tire?

Also, I have a set of RA-1s as practice tires and they are performing just like the last set I had from a few years ago. I have 30 heat cycles on them and they still have a lot of tread left. I suspect I will get over 50 as I did on my previous set. Another similar option is the Nitto NT-01.

The BFG R-1s are closer to a Hoosier R6. They'll be faster but will heat cycle out much more quickly than an RA-1.
I looked into a lot of options. the R888's work nicely for me since my car is a dual driver car and I get a lot of life out of the R888's. I was considering the RA-1's but prefer the 265 width and height vs 275. Some people have told me that the new RA-1's aren't quite the same as the older version I am used to. Haven't tried them in 3 years. This is my 4th set of R888's and i find them to be very consistent although not the fastest tire.

I was considering the R-1's also but I am trying to keep my costs down and 20 or so heat cycles for more money is not an option right now.

Originally Posted by Treadepot
I have the 265's available and I can get the 225's picked up from Toyo. Give me a call and we can get things rolling.
Much appreciated but just minutes too late. I will keep you in mind for another set. I usually like to keep 2 sets of tires available for these event. Nothing worse than having to head home early because i wasn't prepared.

Edit: Never mind on pricing I just looked them up on your site, your quite competitive. I might do something in a few weeks before Monticello. My other set is on its last legs.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Tread Depot
Former Vendor

I looked into a lot of options. the R888's work nicely for me since my car is a dual driver car and I get a lot of life out of the R888's. I was considering the RA-1's but prefer the 265 width and height vs 275. Some people have told me that the new RA-1's aren't quite the same as the older version I am used to. Haven't tried them in 3 years. This is my 4th set of R888's and i find them to be very consistent although not the fastest tire.

I was considering the R-1's also but I am trying to keep my costs down and 20 or so heat cycles for more money is not an option right now.

Much appreciated but just minutes too late. I will keep you in mind for another set. I usually like to keep 2 sets of tires available for these event. Nothing worse than having to head home early because i wasn't prepared.

Edit: Never mind on pricing I just looked them up on your site, your quite competitive. I might do something in a few weeks before Monticello. My other set is on its last legs.
No worries, I am always here to answer any availability questions. you can reach me at sales@treadepot.com or 888-421-8473.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Seriously consider the Nittos too. I have used 888s quite a few times and while I quite like them as opposed to many 'round here, I found the Nittos to be a faster tyre. They do seem to wear a little faster though. I'm pretty sure they're a softer compound than the 888s.

Adam, do you sell Nittos, and do you ship Overseas?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Treadepot is top shelf.

Went out of their way to add an order late on their warehouse pick up run for me once that saved a race weekend.

Highly recommended....!

T
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Seriously consider the Nittos too. I have used 888s quite a few times and while I quite like them as opposed to many 'round here, I found the Nittos to be a faster tyre. They do seem to wear a little faster though. I'm pretty sure they're a softer compound than the 888s.

Adam, do you sell Nittos, and do you ship Overseas?
R888 RA-1 and NT-01 is the same compound, different construction.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:54 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I have heard that but have not seen anyone provide any proof of that. Seems to have been a bit of an urban myth. My Nittos definitely feel softer than previous 888s and also wear faster.
The whole connection to Toyo may be true. The lack of sizes makes me think they have a deal with Toyo to not take too many sales or something. Weird.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks
Not sure where you heard this, but from everything I know, and I've used R-1's for years, current RA-1's are just the same as the past. In fact, I just got some new RA-1's this year, date code 2010, and they are wearing like iron with typical track times.....

my $0.02

-CKKrause

Quick Reply: R888 availability??