Sponsored by:

suspension tuning 101

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
Mark has explained some of the basics well but even he could probably fill a few pages if he were to really jump into it.
No, 'bible' is too much, I am not ready to study it at that level. It will result in a brain stupor.

Few pages from Mark would be a great read I`m sure. There is very little info on forums at 'intermediate' complexity level covering this subject - 'bible' level is a bit too serious for an amateur and high level info does not cover much so we have all that hidden 'complexity' in between that causes a lot of confusion.

I looked at 'optimum' formulas and they all refer essentially to 'ride frequency' core parameter in a chart that specifies 'optimal' spring rates per specific corner mass, but isn`t that 'ride frequency' by itself a sort of a bogus thing? how can it be even predicted? all wrong questions perhaps, but not sure how to put it.

when i say 'bogus' - I mean, they just arbitrarily say 'for sport cars it may be set from 3hz to 5hz'. for 900lbs corner is results in spring rates from 832lbs to 2300lbs. so essentially it means almost practically nothing, at least as I see it as unless one can actually measure that exact 'ride frequency'. which is not really measurable. i do not know, it is just confusion and not mathematics.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

This is the real bible: The Bible

This is such a complex subject. There is quite a bit of reading material out there that will be so much more useful than pages of posts here. It all depends on how in depth you'd really like to go. Do you just want to be able to tune the vehicle to you're liking, try the Carrol Smith books. Do you want to mathematics and the derivations, try RCVD, above. There is some of the good articles here as well: OptimumG

Mark has explained some of the basics well but even he could probably fill a few pages if he were to really jump into it.

-more like the Holly Grail!

-I'm barely making sense of the fred phun book....

I would get that.. plus it was written with 911's in mind, abet the early ones...

Speed secrets are great, as are the the shelby books:
(drive to win)
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Win-Esse...5&sr=8-2-fkmr2

(tune to win)
http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Win-scien...ref=pd_sim_b_1

(Screw to win
http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-Motor...d_bxgy_b_img_b

-Sunday has forgotten more than I'll hope to ever know...
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the real bible: The Bible

This is such a complex subject. There is quite a bit of reading material out there that will be so much more useful than pages of posts here. It all depends on how in depth you'd really like to go. Do you just want to be able to tune the vehicle to you're liking, try the Carrol Smith books. Do you want to mathematics and the derivations, try RCVD, above. There is some of the good articles here as well: OptimumG

I agree that is the bible. However, it is very technical, does not focus on the practical and does not tie the theory to how you set up a car. The Caroll Smith stuff is great and I would see a book going along with what he offers.

I have actually considered writing a short book that combines some of the theory with practical application so enthusiasts would better understand why they are making certain changes and what compromises are involved.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll

-Sunday has forgotten more than I'll hope to ever know...
Thanks, but I am not a deep expert in this. Like many here, I followed the step-by-step with setup and alignment. I am an engineer and have the background to understand much of the deep technical stuff, but have never put in the time to try to be a suspension designer.

What I did was try to understand why I was doing certain things (like ride height in a non-aero car). I wasn't until I graduated through the Radical and onto the Stohr that I was dealing with enough adjustment items that I really started to understand things like WHY you set ride height and the compromises in doing that on a street car vs. measuring something else. That topic alone would take a few pages, hence the consideration for a book. I admire folks like Smith and Optimum G staff, but they get awfully technical for the casual racer and DE participant.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:14 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

^ LOL, I just look what the fast guys run, and buy that!

Waaaay too expensive trying to be the fastest, with some new setup.... I'm happy just to run in the front pack, and try and beat them with racecraft and luck!

Quick Reply: suspension tuning 101