Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"welded" diff effects on handling???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A limited slip will make a difference even with 130 whp and 225 tires. It makes a difference in 944 spec cars. However that impact is small. It is in margins and a few tenths really. If you are lucky a whole second. When I went from open to LSD in my 944 I could break deeper and trail brake more. Less instability on turn in. It also helped selected corner exits where I would get wheelsping. Were it hurt was full throttle cornering. The front end tends to wash out more with the LSD than without. I am still working on getting the balance back that I had with the open diff. When I do I think I will be faster and more consistant, but only just.

That even with a 40/40 diff. I 100/100 diff (locked) going to make that understeer worse. I think worse to the point that it either chews up front tires or makes you slower.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

great points about the effects of diffs..... everyone knows that smooth is fast....of course an open diff forces you to be smooth with your throttle....which can't be that bad.....

Wider-sticker tires is far cheaper than an LSD....so I think I will try that next!!

Quick Reply: "welded" diff effects on handling???