Sponsored by:

987 Boxsters allowed at VIR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:11 PM
djmiroku
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 987 Boxsters allowed at VIR?

Hi everyone. I've heard differing opinions on this so I figured I'd ask here. Is a stock Boxster S allowed to do DE at VIR full course without any additional rollcage?

I'm considering a novice DE this fall but wanted to make sure I don't have to get something attached to my car.

Thanks!!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:10 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If PCA, see here (link) for the minimum Standards. You can also contact VIR directly and get their advice (link). Usually its the facility requirement vs. the sanctioning body (and their insurer) requirement. HTH
Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't recall any roll bar requirement at VIR that goes beyond Potomac Region's.

"At VIR ONLY, the Boxster roll hoops alone are NOT considered acceptable. The Brey-Krause extender MUST be attached and the driver must meet the 2-inch rule."

The "2-inch rule" refers to the requirement that the top of the driver's helmet must be 2 inches below the line drawn between the top of the windshield and the top of the roll bar.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Although it seems a little crazy that Porsche did not make the 987 rollover protection as safe as it should be I would have no problem using something that ensures my safety. Always go the step beyond, it's your life!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I don't recall any roll bar requirement at VIR that goes beyond Potomac Region's.

"At VIR ONLY, the Boxster roll hoops alone are NOT considered acceptable. The Brey-Krause extender MUST be attached and the driver must meet the 2-inch rule."

The "2-inch rule" refers to the requirement that the top of the driver's helmet must be 2 inches below the line drawn between the top of the windshield and the top of the roll bar.
yes....this is the rule as I understand it.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:05 PM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I showed up at VIR to do a Chin event and did not pass tech since I did not have the BK-Roll bar extender. I was informed that VIR (not Chin or any other organization) has a specific rule with the Boxster requiring the roll bar extender; the logic behind that rule is supposedly in the event of a roll over, the roll bar hoops could dig into the grass/dirt off the paved track and significantly diminish the roll over protection. The roll bar extender connects the two hoops, making the possibility of this less.

I bought the BK part a few weeks later; it installs in just a few minutes and looks to be good quality. Hopefully I will never know how well it is actually engineered
Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaB
I showed up at VIR to do a Chin event and did not pass tech since I did not have the BK-Roll bar extender. I was informed that VIR (not Chin or any other organization) has a specific rule with the Boxster requiring the roll bar extender; the logic behind that rule is supposedly in the event of a roll over, the roll bar hoops could dig into the grass/dirt off the paved track and significantly diminish the roll over protection. The roll bar extender connects the two hoops, making the possibility of this less.

I bought the BK part a few weeks later; it installs in just a few minutes and looks to be good quality. Hopefully I will never know how well it is actually engineered
Correct and apperently there is another one available from GSR Autosport as well but I've never seen one.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM
racer
Drifting

Yup.. its a VIR rule to have a rollbar extender on a Boxster.

PCA regions usually enforce a "broomstick" rule.. whereby you need to fit, with helmet on and in proper seating postion and be below the level line from windshield to rollbar hoops.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 PM
djmiroku
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone, that clears that up. I will be on the look out for a BK roll extender sometime soon!

Cheers!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by djmiroku
Thanks for the replies everyone, that clears that up. I will be on the look out for a BK roll extender sometime soon!

Cheers!
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/roll_b...ns_porsche.php

Be warned, that the 986 bar does NOT fit the 987 (different shape)

You can find 986 bars, used, in the $300-500 range. Can't say I've seen many (if any) used 987 bars, but keep your eyes open.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the reason the 986 bar does not fit the 987 is because the 987 configuration is "improved." (I think it may be a little higher.) I've seen others post recently that the 987 does not need the extender bar to meet VIR's rule, but I've never seen any definitive answer on this so it's a good question. I'll be there this weekend (not in the Boxster!) and I'll try to see if I can get anyone there in authority to answer.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

Also, if you have a factory hard top, I think you are OK without the BK roll bar extension.

Quick Reply: 987 Boxsters allowed at VIR?