Mosport Incident in GTC - Spoiler Alert

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Mosport Incident in GTC - Spoiler Alert

Unbelievable shunt for the #48 MarquisJet GTC car today. Looked like the Drayson car bumped the 48 and pointed the 48 straight at the guard rail. Unbelievable amount of damge to the car. Glad the driver was OK. The Speed commentators said there was about 60 yards of guard rail damaged!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They've were knocked out last weekend at Road America, and were leading today's race when the Drayson car sent them intothe rail. Pretty frustrating to watch, ALMS really needs to rein in the LMP cars before there's no one else on the track....
Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Just watched this race - that was quite a hit. Glad everyone was OK.

The most ridiculous part was the post race with Cocker. His version was he was gonig straight and Hines turned into him after he passed. They showed the video clip of him going from one side of the straight to the other and collecting the Porsche.....wow.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:45 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was suprised to see the guard rail post were wood. At least that's what it looked like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MCjAARTLc
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

The footage never quite showed the two cars at the moment of contact. I could not see the GTC car when the contact happened. I think that the Drayson car did move left very slightly before contact because of a slower LMPC car in front of him, but movement drivers left to any significant degree was after the contact. Lots of traffic, high speeds, undulating and meandering track, not much room. Racing incident in my mind. Very unfortunate.

Consider the wood pilings holding those rails to be the Safer Barriers of the 70s. They did their job extremely well, didn't they? Perhaps they could be a bit higher, but I don't think you could ask for more in terms of that particular incident... except maybe being easier and quicker to fix. The car is likely a write-off... again, but the driver was unscathed. It's a wonder no one else collected him or anyone else.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 952 Posts

Another video here; race recap with video of crash(es). That was a big hit.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ns-at-mosport/
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very fortunate to get away from that one, the timbers could have easily become spears
Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

The footage never quite showed the two cars at the moment of contact.
Mr. Hanjy are we watching the same tape? The vid above clearly shows the point of contact and the LMP car clearly ran up and recklessly pushed him off the track. Time to have another coffee and watch it again....
Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Mr. Hanjy are we watching the same tape? The vid above clearly shows the point of contact and the LMP car clearly ran up and recklessly pushed him off the track. Time to have another coffee and watch it again....
Kinda what I saw in the replays yesterday. Not trying to start a flame war here, but it sure looked like the LMP moved slightly left, but just enough to put the Orbit Racing car into the barrier at speed.

Not a great weekend for the LMP cars. Looks like "red mist" overcame a number of drivers including the Drayson car, the #16 and the Corvettes! I don't think the drivers heard the stewards' requests supposedly made on Sunday morning.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It was a horrible crash, although guaranteed the GT win to Porsche; it is just very hard to swallow a shunt like this one caused by an LM car, that GTC car is practically a complete write off. I hope they put a very hefty penalty on the LM team, like replacing the cup car completely.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Hmmmm....

The short answer is NO.

Your snotty tone is understandable in some fashion - if still unfortunate - after viewing the clip attached here for the first time just now. In classic poor timing, I had walked away from the tube to answer the phone - my girlfriend, who was also watching at home - when the wreck happened, and only came in to see it in replay when she remarked on a nasty crash. I assumed the clip here was the same clip that I watched repeatedly just after the incident and throughout the end of the Speed coverage. It was NOT, I say again, NOT this one. I never saw this one until moments ago. The other clip was from a robotic camera that was much closer and at an angle that was far different, coming from almost behind the rail where this one is surely from farther away near the crest where it is not only looking down on the scene but where the rail and pavement have moved toward drivers right, giving a better angle of it all. The GTC car was not even visible in that original clip until it ricocheted off the guardrail and back into traffic.

AGAIN, I never saw this clip, and assumed it was the same as I had seen before. My bad for assuming. Your bad for being a churl. In viewing this clip, it is ABUNDANTLY clear that Cocker chopped into the GTC car rather badly. Unlike yourself where I am concerned, I am willing to give Cocker the benefit of the doubt, and assume he misjudged his closing speed on the LMPC car and left himself with two bad options. He blew it, which is unfortunate, and I am sure he would fess up to that when he saw this clip.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 952 Posts

Cool photo
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2010, 02:40 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was an immense shunt, even by Mosport standards, which has seen its fair share of immense shunts, they just usually happen in the corners.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

That Marquisjet livery is just cursed. They can't get a break...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-djFwFJ3dFU
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GTgears
That Marquisjet livery is just cursed. They can't get a break...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-djFwFJ3dFU
Poor Bryce, he deserved some good fortune at Mosport but apparently it just wasn't in the cards.....

Quick Reply: Mosport Incident in GTC - Spoiler Alert