Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Successful SmartyCam To ECU Install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:52 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Successful SmartyCam To ECU Install?

Does anyone know of a successful true PnP SmartyCam to ECU install?

I ran the S/C for a few weeks, and while I really liked the video and data overlay, I could not make it work with the ODB2 setup; I am thinking a direct connection would be easier and have other benefits.

Having said that, I want to know if anyone else has had good luck with this type of install.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i run it with ODB2 port cord/adapter and it works fine. what is your problem exactly?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Scott- FC-Racer on here has done an ECU connection with an EVO4 dash. While it's not a SmartyCam he still had the CAN connection setup run for his car and can give you his personal feedback.

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/3667-fc-racer.html

I believe his car was a 997 instead of a 6 though.

IIRC the difference in channels between the OBD and ECU connection were negligible but you can hide the wires a little bit better as you don't have to have the OBD plug in the car.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:14 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Thanks Joe.

I misspoke about the PnP nature of the ECU install as well. It looks like its splicing in 2 wires; CAN+ and CAN- from the ECU bridge, to a couple of wires on an ECU bundle.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Yeah, I didn't even notice the PnP part, I just saw ECU and thought you were talking about the 2 wire splice. fc-racer I think has a real nice set of pictures showing how his is done. He started off wanting the OBD but then the simplicity and extra channels lured him into the direct connection.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM
akw
Racer

Hey guys,

I was was just reading fc-racer's write up about his AIM system.

AIM install

Also found this along the way. It was interesting to me since I didn't know how to get at the ECU

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/technical-articles/187-ecu-removal-and-installation-for-996-997-turbo-carrera-carrera-s-gt2-and-gt3.html] ECU removal

Cheers,

Adam
Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i run it with ODB2 port cord/adapter and it works fine. what is your problem exactly?
So you just plug the cam into the OBD2 port under the dash near the door and all the info works?
Old 08-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrums
So you just plug the cam into the OBD2 port under the dash near the door and all the info works?
That's how it's supposed to be.

We had some issues that I never had a chance to work out on Scott's car as to why it wouldn't talk to the car.

But in a matter of 5 minutes I had the OBD setup working on my wife's Mini Cooper when it first came out. Some have taken a bit more time but it's generally a plug n play setup.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:55 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Follow up: I got it working this weekend; tapped the CAN lines on the ECU and a switched source for auto start-up.

Maybe the OBD2 port should have worked, but it didn''t for me. This does.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

CAN is the way to go! Glad you got it working.

I have the OBDII version and had difficulty getting it setup too. My solution was picking "OBDII BETA" when mapping the OBDII channels during setup. A typical setup would have you pick your car's ECU from a drop down menu. This setup would not work for me, so I choose "OBDII BETA" from the ECU drop down menu and was able to pick up "some" channels; rpm & throttle position. I can't get oil pressure, temp and gear. The CAN is a more time consuming and permanent install but you can monitor more channels.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:38 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
essentially yes, you plug in an optional adapter, not a camera itself.

odb2 adapter requires some minor setup to be done and assignments of ecu channels to aim channels but after that - all that stuff works fine, i run it when i need it and then disconnect completely and remove. camera is mounted on the windshield. quite convenient tool for my purposes.

Quick Reply: Successful SmartyCam To ECU Install?