Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does " I drive flat out" mean?.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
heeh i'm on vacation today. took to day off to drive up to road america for le mans races
nice, nice... but all i want now is a complete motionless, my be a book or 2 and no stress, no work, no driving, no meetings, nobody at all if possible but family and sun.

we just spent my whole future 997 gt3rs reserve funds on an investment property we don`t need, thanks to my wife, so, i need some damage control to perform now and get used to be poor again, for a while. so it is quite psychological for sure...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
Please moderator...pull the plunger NOW....kaboom.
So far I see no reason to do so, unless I have missed something ...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:56 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
heh, you have no clue how it warms my silly heart to know that my little innocent spins are now memorized into rennlist epics.

gosh, forums and forum folk are truly something...
Maybe its your engrish skills, but in the Original thread, it sounded like you were talking about spinning on a race track.

autox is totally different... only took 15 more pages to figure out you were really talking about that...

-Still those spins you served up, looked like not looking ahead... which is bad bad bad on a race course (and autox too)

its slow today..... can we push this puppy a few more pages?

how about posting up some more autox videos?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

'Flat out" - A 32 A gal driving topless?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

flat out FAIL...

Old 08-20-2010, 02:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
'Flat out" - A 32 A gal driving topless?
There you go guys..........

This is the spirit of this thread......

Bob thanks for showing them the way......
Old 08-20-2010, 02:11 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll

AutoX videos are really boring, plus they give sea motion sickness feeling.....

How about posting some "Flat Out" track videos of guys that really know how?

Anyone up for the challenge?......
Old 08-20-2010, 02:21 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread reminds me of this guy's dog...

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6964965/

Last edited by TR6; 08-20-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Maybe its your engrish skills, but in the Original thread, it sounded like you were talking about spinning on a race track.

autox is totally different... only took 15 more pages to figure out you were really talking about that...

-Still those spins you served up, looked like not looking ahead... which is bad bad bad on a race course (and autox too)

its slow today..... can we push this puppy a few more pages?

would love to - but i was lazy , rest of stuff I have is in different video codec and it has to be re-processed. plus it does not have anything funny for folks to see, just a routine stuff what makes sense for me only - like how total corner pressure was changing from best run to worst run, check out how fast element was performed - not much fun at all. that is how i remember those runs and what i recording it for. and there are no more spins there at all.

well, to speak about the topic... it is difficult to rationalize all that and discuss as what really happens there is pretty much a split second decision - not looking ahead is a correct generic assessment of course as all the rest is just a consequence of it, typically, and as of 'looking ahead' we speak of seeing the cones, removing meaningless cones from important ones, visualizing the best fastest line and then following that line, _properly_. go too wide and safe and you loose seconds, go to sharp and you loose again as course corrections eat up too much time, when competing with other folks over time it is all about the line, it is funny to see all the different cars with totally different power - like 3.2 boxster and gt3rs but surprisingly very close to each other compared to FTD.

So, all nice basic simple stuff above, almost all of it fits in a single sentence. in reality it was a bit little bit more complex as in addition to not 'looking ahead' properly (and that is where i have no clue how much time it will take - to 'see' proper line right based on several key cones only) and assessing proper line i really tried to find fastest way around that sequence and first spin was a direct result of deliberate moving starting braking point way way too far into corner. sort of similar to what folks were saying here - to be real fast you need to go fast in and faster out. easier to be said than done.

so then you just get yourself into wrong situation and need to figure out how not to go off course and may be sacrifice half of sec here but to save the whole run - and typically overdone correction results in a spin.

that was another thing i was talking about earlier - how previous sequences of hard braking/acceleration affects next subsequent corners. at track tires warm up from inside out - at auto-x it is generally reversed from out-inside, so tires and tire temperatures are indeed a big factor. in that spin run my rear pressure went to 43psi from previously stable 39psi and i could feel that difference. totally different topic is what to do after you feel it, but, well, i am not about that yet.

all that crap of learning to drive car at 10/10 at the edge of where is looses grip is quite fun, combined with not running proper line - even more fun. what is the heck of a difficult task is to do a correct assessment where do you want to go safe and wide and where you need to push beyond as it can result in a bit better total time.

track event with controlled predictable accurate motions is indeed a bit something else but it does teach a lot about momentum preservation and it is really cool thing to learn. plus one needs to learn how to shift.
i just hope i will have time and dedication to go over that learning curve, i wish those tracks would be closer to me as it is quite a PITA to drive so far back and forth, well, by my standards.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:39 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
This thread reminds me of this guy's dog...

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6963745/
Yes. We must counterbalance the gayness with more bimmer-chick photos and in-car spin footage...

Who will be man enough to post the first spin?
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:08 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

it is difficult to rationalize all that and discuss as what really happens there is pretty much a split second decision - not looking ahead is a correct generic assessment of course as all the rest is just a consequence of it, typically, and as of 'looking ahead' we speak of seeing the cones, removing meaningless cones from important ones, visualizing the best fastest line and then following that line, _properly_. go too wide and safe and you loose seconds, go to sharp and you loose again as course corrections eat up too much time, when competing with other folks over time it is all about the line, it is funny to see all the different cars with totally different power - like 3.2 boxster and gt3rs but surprisingly very close to each other compared to FTD.

So, all nice basic simple stuff above, almost all of it fits in a single sentence. in reality it was a bit little bit more complex as in addition to not 'looking ahead' properly (and that is where i have no clue how much time it will take - to 'see' proper line right based on several key cones only) and assessing proper line i really tried to find fastest way around that sequence and first spin was a direct result of deliberate moving starting braking point way way too far into corner. sort of similar to what folks were saying here - to be real fast you need to go fast in and faster out. easier to be said than done.

so then you just get yourself into wrong situation and need to figure out how not to go off course and may be sacrifice half of sec here but to save the whole run - and typically overdone correction results in a spin.

that was another thing i was talking about earlier - how previous sequences of hard braking/acceleration affects next subsequent corners. at track tires warm up from inside out - at auto-x it is generally reversed from out-inside, so tires and tire temperatures are indeed a big factor. in that spin run my rear pressure went to 43psi from previously stable 39psi and i could feel that difference. totally different topic is what to do after you feel it, but, well, i am not about that yet.

all that crap of learning to drive car at 10/10 at the edge of where is looses grip is quite fun, combined with not running proper line - even more fun. what is the heck of a difficult task is to do a correct assessment where do you want to go safe and wide and where you need to push beyond as it can result in a bit better total time.

track event with controlled predictable accurate motions is indeed a bit something else but it does teach a lot about momentum preservation and it is really cool thing to learn. plus one needs to learn how to shift.
i just hope i will have time and dedication to go over that learning curve, i wish those tracks would be closer to me as it is quite a PITA to drive so far back and forth, well, by my standards.
Could someone with real Auto-X knowledge explain what the hell he is talking about

I thought that Auto-X was like a slow track with no grass and guard rails on each side... stop and go type of driving but still using the same basic skills

Anyway that looks like a pretty Flat Out driving...
Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Could someone with real Auto-X knowledge explain what the hell he is talking about

I thought that Auto-X was like a slow track with no grass and guard rails on each side... stop and go type of driving but still using the same basic skills

Anyway that looks like a pretty Flat Out driving...
any car driving uses same exact set of basic skills - you use your hands to turn typically roundly shaped object ahead of you, sporadically jerk your legs to press at some odd shaped metal objects down below and occasionally look around to check where your car with you inside is actually moving, then optionally most advanced folks develop tendency to think why it did not really seemed to go where it was intended to be driven. purely optional, of course, but it is all fun nevertheless, even if this optional stuff is skipped for simplicity.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Old 08-20-2010, 04:07 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

any car driving uses same exact set of basic skills - you use your hands to turn typically roundly shaped object ahead of you, sporadically jerk your legs to press at some odd shaped metal objects down below and occasionally look around to check where your car with you inside is actually moving, then optionally most advanced folks develop tendency to think why it did not really seemed to go where it was intended to be driven. purely optional, of course, but it is all fun nevertheless, even if this optional stuff is skipped for simplicity.
Reading magazines and forums doesn't give practical knowledge unfortunately. If I recall, you can't even heel and toe, so I repeat: "Could someone with real Auto-X knowledge explain what the hell he is talking about ?"
Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
If I recall, you can't even heel and toe

Quick Reply: What does " I drive flat out" mean?.....