Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does " I drive flat out" mean?.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

It means you eat this before your DE:

Last edited by RSRRacer; 12-06-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Flat out slow?
Flat out crazy?
Flat out stupid?
Flat out broke?
Flat out fast?
Flat out "add your own"?

T-shirts are being sold so it must mean something.......right?
Well, it is obvious that you don't know what "Flat out" means . . .

LOL
Old 08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
"i know where my limits are well enough as i do spin my car more or less every 2 weeks on purpose in different corners"

That's Flat Out !
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
"i know where my limits are well enough as i do spin my car more or less every 2 weeks on purpose in different corners"

That's Flat Out !
absofknlutely. will do it tomorrow again as I will run on street tires with miata club, so, most likely will spin again and not once, not sure yet on purpose or not but i do want to practice power drift on street tires, so, chance of a spin is very high.

but i`m glad you liked that phrase so much, i did put some effort into exact wording believe you or not.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno

That's Flat Out Stupid !

CORRECTED

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm partial to this line from the Origin of Phrases:

"Ideas of travelling or working at great speed are recorded in the phrases 'flat out like a lizard drinking' and 'flat out like a lizard on a log'."

Adjusted for Rennlist, we could say for example, "I'm flat out, like a lizard on a Raptor"
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
CORRECTED

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
heh, you have no clue how it warms my silly heart to know that my little innocent spins are now memorized into rennlist epics.

gosh, forums and forum folk are truly something...
Old 08-20-2010, 11:49 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes...another 5 or 6 pages maybe??

But in all seriousness, is it typical in Autocross to push the first couple practice runs to see where the limit will be? And if so, is that where you do the "spin every 2 weeks?"

I can understand a spin every once in a while on the tarmac while doing an autocross but really try to limit the "race track" spins.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Yes...another 5 or 6 pages maybe??

But in all seriousness, is it typical in Autocross to push the first couple practice runs to see where the limit will be? And if so, is that where you do the "spin every 2 weeks?"

I can understand a spin every once in a while on the tarmac while doing an autocross but really try to limit the "race track" spins.
you got to be kidding me - why would i want to spin on a track? my whole point of self digging here was pretty much to establish if I even like all those track experiences to begin with as my teenage obsession with speed is pretty much long gone anyway. i like precision and i like to drive car at the limit so i can feel it - doing this stuff on a track will most likely result in a wreck as many people here already stated giving samples of auto-xers they know, so it is very obvious to me what does happen on a track when one looses self control and starts doing auto-x stunts there.

but whole point of knowing when your car looses traction and goes into spin is to be able to prevent it. if one does not know it and does not feel it - one cannot control it, it is quite simple really, so i take all that fuss from local folk here as a simple pickering, they know what i say, i know what they say, i do it for 2 years now so i know how little i know as well, everything is correct on both sides, so no harm done here. they just play their role they like to play, i play mine and if it goes for 30 pages when I am bored to death - so why not?

typical strategy is simple - at first run you warm up tires and start feeling the line, at 2nd run you must establish best safe line, then if you have 2 more runs in the morning and 3-4 in the afternoon there are some chances to practice some other stuff when tires are hot and you start feeling the course.
that is why essentially afternoon times of best drivers do differ by at least 1sec or more.
it is all practice with local clubs anyway so when you come to SCCA and you have ONLY 3 runs to do and each of them has to be perfect. or annual PCA zone level event.

for me it is all fun to speak about it, I think if more regular folks will come out of closets and will come to try their crazy stuff in a safe environment on an open airfield - less people will try this crazy stuff on public roads.
if some pca instructors will make some fuss about it - well, what can i do about it. there is a disconnect here that will never go anywhere.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:46 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please moderator...pull the plunger NOW....kaboom.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:55 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
Please moderator...pull the plunger NOW....kaboom.
it`s Friday, time to have some fun. be brave. guess you never were in a stalled plane at 5k ft neither? life is sooo much fun, sometimes...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
krystar
Drifting

lolol. we gonna get philosophical up in here?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krystar
lolol. we gonna get philosophical up in here?
truly only depends from a boredom level. next week is PTO so can`t wait to do some spinning tomorrow and go lay on a beach for a whole week. weather should be good, so, really can`t wait.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
krystar
Drifting

heeh i'm on vacation today. took to day off to drive up to road america for le mans races

Quick Reply: What does " I drive flat out" mean?.....