Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying your suspension - how does it change your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Nice Larry,

Does your later information include the impact of an LSD on handling? I know that many of our customers go into the purchase of an LSD having no idea that it's going to change the handling of the vehicle and that they may need to make new suspension adjustments to the car and new behaviour adjustments to the driver to put the LSD to full use.
Matt, got any info about how to make full use of an LSD for the unknowing?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Nice Larry,

Does your later information include the impact of an LSD on handling? I know that many of our customers go into the purchase of an LSD having no idea that it's going to change the handling of the vehicle and that they may need to make new suspension adjustments to the car and new behaviour adjustments to the driver to put the LSD to full use.
Sorry that I did not get back to you sooner. After writing the article I kind of ran out of room. Maybe a 3rd one is in order to discuss items like that.

Anyway it has been my experience that a typical clutch type LSD will create more understeer under both acceleration and deceleration. The greater the lockup ratios, the greater the understeer. Under acceleration, adding power to the inside wheel the way a clutch type LSD does will tend to try and drive the car straighter. You can compensate for this by increasing the roll rate at the back of the car. Where the LSD is even more beneficial, unbeknownst to many, is under braking and corner entry, where the LSD forces the outside wheel to turn slower than it wants to, effectively straightening the car. This allows you to brake much farther into the corner and/or carry more off-throttle speed towards the apex. This will help corner entry as well as mid-corner speed.

For comparison I did have a Quaife type LSD in my old Carrera, and though it was much better than the open rear at putting down the power without any added understeer, it was of no effect under braking.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a very good article from Taylor Race Engineering about differentials, their respective strengths and weaknesses, and the tuning compromises involved.http://www.taylor-race.com/pdf/under...ferentials.pdf
Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 AM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

larry i am relatively new at this so please excuse the simplicity of my querstion. lets say one makes a change to their car (stiffer back springs) that makes the back end stiffer and everything else is kept constant . based on you graph above it would seem that at any particular slip angle more load can be generated or handled by the back end . however,i am also told that the stiffer back end would tend towards more oversteer .this seems like a contradiction to me . can you explain . thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rkirshner
larry i am relatively new at this so please excuse the simplicity of my querstion. lets say one makes a change to their car (stiffer back springs) that makes the back end stiffer and everything else is kept constant . based on you graph above it would seem that at any particular slip angle more load can be generated or handled by the back end .
I think that you may be mis-interpreting the graph. It shows how cornering force will rise as the slip angle of the tire increases, to a point, and then it will drop off. This can be applied to both the front and rear tires, though most people understand it better in the front, as slip angle is influenced by how much steering input you apply.

however,i am also told that the stiffer back end would tend towards more oversteer .this seems like a contradiction to me . can you explain . thanks
Stiffer rear springs will increase the rear roll rate (or roll stiffness). In doing so, it places additional load on the outside rear tire and increases grip on the inside front tire. This added front grip will shift the balance of the car towards oversteer.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:27 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

The stiffest corner loses traction first as it reaches tire saturation sooner.

"Chassis Engineering: by Herb Adams, any of Carroll Smith's books on handling, Fred Puhn's "How to Make Your Car Handle" are all good references to learn basic vehicle dynamics/physics which apply to all cars.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
The stiffest corner loses traction first as it reaches tire saturation sooner.
True to a point, but it also improves grip at the diagonally opposite corner by keeping the platform more level.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
the90
Instructor

The 'stiffer' end of the car will see a greater percentage of the total lateral load transfer; an unevenly loaded pair of tires (across an axle) will have less grip than an evenly loaded one, due to the load sensitivity of the coefficient of friction of tires (this has been attributed to tire heating, but the jury is still out). Same principle that ARBs work on. As always, much of this is so general it's almost dangerous....

Stiffer springs can actually help a car gain grip if there is a suspension geometry issue at that end of the car, by reducing suspension movement. They (stiffer springs) also increase the rate of heat input to the tires, as do digressively valved shocks.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Sorry that I did not get back to you sooner. After writing the article I kind of ran out of room. Maybe a 3rd one is in order to discuss items like that.

Anyway it has been my experience that a typical clutch type LSD will create more understeer under both acceleration and deceleration. The greater the lockup ratios, the greater the understeer. Under acceleration, adding power to the inside wheel the way a clutch type LSD does will tend to try and drive the car straighter. You can compensate for this by increasing the roll rate at the back of the car. Where the LSD is even more beneficial, unbeknownst to many, is under braking and corner entry, where the LSD forces the outside wheel to turn slower than it wants to, effectively straightening the car. This allows you to brake much farther into the corner and/or carry more off-throttle speed towards the apex. This will help corner entry as well as mid-corner speed.

For comparison I did have a Quaife type LSD in my old Carrera, and though it was much better than the open rear at putting down the power without any added understeer, it was of no effect under braking.
Addendum would be that clutch type LSDs, especially with high lockup ratios, can contribute to oversteer in sudden off-throttle situations .

Really liked the article(s) Larry, thx for posting.

And as someone else mentioned here, Fred Puhn's book is great reading.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 AM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

ok thanks
i have a lot more to learn
i will read fred puhn's book and then come back to the graph
thanks

Quick Reply: Modifying your suspension - how does it change your car?