Sponsored by:

Tube Benders and other cage fab questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Tube Benders and other cage fab questions

Whats a good brand/source of tube bender to make a couple cages?

What is the requirement or rule of thumb on bend radius for 1.5" tubing? I dont see anything in PCA rules about a minimum radius. 3 to 4 x tube OD?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:36 AM
triplezero
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default tube benders

Check out this link.
http://www.vansantent.com/tube_bending_machines.htm
I've been using the model JD2 model 4 for the past 8 years. Your bend radius is dependent on your wall thickness.
If you feel strong you can buy one of the "manuel benders"...good luck with that if your trying to bend chromoly or .120 wall...
Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Check the SCCA GCR. It will answer most of your questions regarding size, thicknesses, and bend radiuses.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I also have the JD2, it's a good basic bender

In general the radius is required to be 3 times the tubing diameter for roll cages, but definitely read the rulebooks.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
I also have the JD2, it's a good basic bender

In general the radius is required to be 3 times the tubing diameter for roll cages, but definitely read the rulebooks.
Do you have the same JD2 Model 4 as triplezero, or one of the smaller (i.e. cheaper) models like the 3?

This would be just to build a couple cages, for 2 to 3 cars at most. So maybe only 6 bends per cage, probably less than 20 total bends before its put up for sale on craigslist...
Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

mine's the model 3 manual bender, works fine, I don't use it often enough to justify a more expensive one

you might check the classifieds for circle track racers and off road guys, they use these benders too
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Do you have the same JD2 Model 4 as triplezero, or one of the smaller (i.e. cheaper) models like the 3?

This would be just to build a couple cages, for 2 to 3 cars at most. So maybe only 6 bends per cage, probably less than 20 total bends before its put up for sale on craigslist...
Hey Jim,

I'd probably get the cheaper JD2 if that's all you need it for.

I looked at all the manual benders and bought this one -

The Pro=Tools 105 HD (heavy duty with the 5/8" thick arms), very nice piece and can be converted to hydraulic.

The also offer a cheaper standard version for $299 for the bender only if you could fab your own stand.

The HD package I bought came with PC software that aids greatly in making the bends and saving material.

Comes with 1 free set of dies in your choice of tube diameter and radius.

http://www.pro-tools.com/pdf/Pro-Tools_Catalog.pdf

T
Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

If you are only using it for one or two cages, why not rent?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

1) Borrowing, 2) Renting, 3) Buying is the preferred sequence of the possible options. Just doing the homework on the front end.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Benders are like CD players. In the long run the dies can end up costing more than the bender. The simple benders make good bends. Making the bends where they are intended and to the angle intended is a nother' story. Bend up some scrap and to learn the basicsin judging springback and calulating bend starts. I found a good used bender with two set of proper size dies and 150 feet of unused tubing for the cost of the bender. Take your time looking if you have time and a deal on a used one will come up. Used is OK they are durable devices.

Unless you are very small you can bend heavy wall tubing with a human powered bender. 1.75 / .120 wall can be hand bent no problem. Just use the right lube on the follower. You might not want to do this all day every day for a living but they do work fine for weekend work.

Bending the tubing is the easy part. Design, fitup and welding is where the skill is.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,
Talk with Max Curry one of your fellow Nordsterners. He has a bender, we've done NASCAR bars with it. I think he has a fishmouth fixture as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Jim, if you weren't so far away, you'd be welcomed to borrow.

These things are HEAVY and the shipping would be prohibitive.

On a couple of points others have made.....the software with the Pro-Tools setup allows you to put in diameter of tube, offset, length and radius.

You take the straight piece of material and put sharpie marks right where the software pre-figures for you.

You line up the marks with the lead edge of the die and crank until the degree wheel reaches the desired degree mark + 2-3 degrees for spring back.

It even gives the degrees of rotation (they have a cheap c-clamp fixture for angle meter) to turn the tube for complex bends.

That's it.

Very little waste of material.

T

Quick Reply: Tube Benders and other cage fab questions