845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM
jamuz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drove one of rick's boxsters in the second club race at monticello and can vouch for his verbalization skills and his operation overall. both exceptionally good! funny, i did roughly the same transition, ditching my heavily modified 997 tt (yes, even dymags, y'all can laugh with/at me now) and starting with a coach in a spec miata and now dipping my toe into the bsr world. i will say, the miata punishes bad entry and mid corner tactics MUCH more than the bsr, there's nothing worse than hearing that little mazda engine bog down and you've lost a ton of momentum. then again, u really have to be precise in both cars... The overall speed of a bsr is incredible and if u figure out where u can get on the power earlier in each turn you are rewarded with an incredibly hooked up feeling!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=spg993tt;7808515]the money ive spent utilizing his coaching services has meant more to my recent race results more so than any greenbacks waasted on gizmos or consumables. and it has a far longer term impact./QUOTE]

Great point to reinforce!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I am 2 weeks away from getting my first dose of humility from a coach.

A Miata is a whole different car of course, but it might als be difficult to adjust between cars..
Hope you enjoy that coaching Peter!

I think the transition from car to car could ultimately make me a better rounded driver as it just adds to the experience, just a thought. It is a noteworthy point to be aware of.

Originally Posted by Coochas
Sounds like a great time TDM.
I had 2 days of open track at Monticello this year with only a few others present. I would have loved to have a pro coach help me out.
It is important to do the coaching thing on the right day. Open pit lane is definitely the best way to go. I am heading down to the David Murry track days in October and that is open pit lane and would be another great opportunity to work with someone. There are a decent amount of PCA advanced driver days that can work also like the NNJR Sept Glen event.

[QUOTE=jamuz;7809654]i will say, the miata punishes bad entry and mid corner tactics MUCH more than the bsr, there's nothing worse than hearing that little mazda engine bog down and you've lost a ton of momentum./QUOTE]

This is one of the nice things about the momentum car format for learning purposes that I am looking for

The other thing that interests me about the Spec Miata is the ability to wag the tail in a more forgiving format. I have spoken to many drivers commenting on the differences of a 911 to miata. I hear over and over again that the miata will tell you that it is loosing the tail grip well before it happens, much more so than the 911. I have also been told the Miata is much easier to correct in oversteer mode than the 911. I know this is the sensation I need to feel more comfortable with. I am not sure if Rick will remember at one point when we were in the Boxster I said to him upon trial braking more effieienctly, "Hey, that wasn't so bad!" My saying this proved to me that for whatever reason I have a mental block on not letting the tail get too out of control and not wanting to feelt he sensation of being out of control.

The follow up on this is the deep desire and lust I have for my GT3. Many of you may have seen my thread from last year on picking up the GT3 in Germany and taking it on the Ring and going to Spa and all that stuff. To some level this whole connection with the GT3 and the $ value of it (despite track insurance coverage) surely lessens my comfort of trying new things with the car. The flip side of this is a cheap Spec Miata that feels like a "disposable" track car, if there really is such a thing.

One more thing and I will shut up (for a bit), When Rick was driving my GT3 out on the track there were times when I was ****ting my pants a bit. He wasn't out of control at all. He was TOTALLY in control, but just driving the car closer to the limits than I can for sure. No doubt he probably could have driven the car much faster. He knew what the car was going to do before it happened and was in control despite my sensation of wondering if we would make it through the turns. This is the zone I seek comfort in. I know I must inch my way up slowly, but I need to feel more comfort when it gets closer to its limits. Right now Rick proved to me that this zone doesn't seem rasonable right now. It will, in time.

I can do a 2:10 at the Glen in my GT3. That's probably an OK time for my car. However, I know there is room for improvement and want to continue to be the driver my car wants me to be.

I hope this all makes sense...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

"I can do a 2:10 at the Glen in my GT3. That's probably an OK time for my car. However, I know there is room for improvement and want to continue to be the driver my car wants me to be."

Hey Mike, just an FYI.....at the Glen I ran a TOTALLY stock F class Boxster to a new record in the PCA race this year... with a 2:09.8 250HP, small brakes, 3004 pounds, hoosier R6 tires........

Just a point of reference for ya..
Old 08-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Hey Mike, just an FYI.....at the Glen I ran a TOTALLY stock F class Boxster to a new record in the PCA race this year... with a 2:09.8 250HP, small brakes, 3004 pounds, hoosier R6 tires........

But your De MAN!

As a D Stock 911 SC has run in the 2:13's I would agree that 2:10 in a GT3 must have another 5 seconds in it...
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you say something Frank??
Yeah, in fact I did. And I also think I saw some cocky wise *** on TV drive a rebuilt old Boxster to a top ten finish in Koni at T-Bolt. Know anything 'bout that?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

"I can do a 2:10 at the Glen in my GT3. That's probably an OK time for my car. However, I know there is room for improvement and want to continue to be the driver my car wants me to be."

All I have to say is...

Name:  LBC2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  36.3 KB

LMAO!

Kudos for your ability Rick
Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Did you say something Frank??

"Yeah, in fact I did. And I also think I saw some cocky wise *** on TV drive a rebuilt old Boxster to a top ten finish in Koni at T-Bolt. Know anything 'bout that?"

Ummmmm Ya...as a matter of fact I do..!! That was a fun race..!! Grand AM totally messed up the running order and screwed half the field, We were in SECOND for a long time...made our pitstop under the yellow then they shuffled the field, put us and #3-7 at the back by mistake and let it run....

Would have been a podium...BUT... I hate excuses..!!

Hope to see ya soon Frank..!!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM
jamuz
Intermediate

rick, u musta been flat out
Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jamuz
rick, u musta been flat out
Na......drinking espresso..!! Cruzin...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:54 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rick is a cool guy - super passionate about his business and life -
Old 08-26-2010, 02:41 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coochas
..... There was a member there with a stacker trailer who had a few Deman cars on board. Man was I jealous!
I have to admit that going from the 997 cars to a Spec Box platform has done wonders for my drivingk.
...guilty as charged on the MMC stacker. love that track. lvoe that stacker, but love my F class boxster more.

smartest move one makes is to step down in horsepower and step up in skills. you can always buy more HP. you cant make up for years of driving around with poor technique.

could you imagine someone saying "you know, im going to learn how to fly a plane.." "really, thats awsome. what kind of plane you gonna start in?"
"oh, im thinking an F16 or a Thunderbolt. I'd go 747 but ill leave that to next year". "uh, dont you think you should take some lessons and start with something small, a single prop small fry?"

"nahh. i got skillz baby. i got skillz. when i play those Xbox flying games, i kill it. None of those Russian Migs can get near me . I gotz Skillz!"

Quick Reply: DeMan/Monticello Experience