Sponsored by:

Insightful Chadwick article on PCA Racing Revisiting Chopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:56 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Insightful Chadwick article on PCA Racing Revisiting Chopping

Interesting quote: "Unfortunately due to the 13/13 rule some misguided racers think they can use the back of their car as a weapon."

The article is worth revisiting, perhaps often, written by a Northeast Region racer Bill Chadwick at:
http://www.porschenet.com/JCMS/content/view/287/1/

I was doing research for an article related to LeMons and other series on various rules, and I happened to find that LeMons, in particular, bans chopping. I also note that NASA has an extensive section on who is at fault in an incident, which should be de rigeur in all series.

Bill explains chopping in his article as a "violent" last-minute move to impede an overtaker, most easily seen on straights. I'd proffer that this is less obvious in corners because PCA has an "own the corner rule" that comes in, which I don't see so written so strongly in other series, where side by side is the rule. Bill writes he has seen a driver purposely lift off the brakes in a turn to come over on the passer. (Caveat: I am not that good a driver to do that, nor is my car that good, so don't pick on the author here!)

In some discussions with PCA racers who also race in other series, they do say the 13/13 rule does encourage maneuvers that intimidate the other driver into backing off to avoid contact, giving the driver making this move an upper hand.

I thought it would be an interesting discussion, without laying fault on any particular drivers or incidents.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:32 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

He's about as good a writer as I'm a driver

Quick Reply: Insightful Chadwick article on PCA Racing Revisiting Chopping