Thinking about making the Boxster 100% track

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Thinking about making the Boxster 100% track

The more I modify it for track improvement, the more uncomfortable it becomes for street use. I loaned my daily driver to my Mom recently and after 3 days of driving Boxilla I had a bad backache. (not sure if it was related or just one of my periodic back episodes).

Am I going to terribly miss the Porsche driving experience if I only do a track weekend every month or two? Will I soon be down at the Porsche dealer wanting to trade my Jetta for a daily driver with more driving excitment?

I just thought I'd throw it out there to get the opinions from some of ya'll that may have gone down this road before.

Also, if I wanted to go down this path, and eventually investigate racing, where can I go to learn about how I can mod my Boxster for an appropriate venue? I have a local race shop (Titan Motorsports) that can do everything I need but I want to do things over time and be sure I do things that would be congruent with any regulations in a group I might want to race with in the future. I know I can't do spec Boxster since I have a 3.2 Boxster S. I'm aware there are other venues as fellow RL'r Verboten (Christian) races his Boxster S in some different groups.

One final question, is Skippy school the best option for getting a race license? Or are there better options?

Up to now I've done only DE's. I have probably 50 days, and am a PCA instructor in a couple regions down here in Florida. I enjoy the DEs but so many people have raved about the fun of racing that I thought I'd look into it further.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coochas has converted his boxster to near spec over the past couple of years, do a search for his posts or send him a pm.

I converted my 993 to track-only and I'm glad I did. It's a slippery slope, no use in fighting it.
But yes, I have a feeling you'll be trading your Jetta in. That's the only think I miss... the fun daily or weekend car.... something I'll be looking for in the coming months.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Mark:
Consult the regs on your build and build to the group you want to run with. I am in G. but I think I should be in F the issue is the flywheel and interpreting the definition provided. Builds are fun and can be spread out over time but I would also contemplate an effort that has already been executed. My car is down south but you are welcome to pinch any idea's off if if you like.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option would be to put yours back to stock, sell off the go fast parts and the go buy a completed spec boxster.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

What would an 02 986 S with 82k miles be worth? $12k? $14k?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
Mark:
Consult the regs on your build and build to the group you want to run with. I am in G. but I think I should be in F the issue is the flywheel and interpreting the definition provided. Builds are fun and can be spread out over time but I would also contemplate an effort that has already been executed. My car is down south but you are welcome to pinch any idea's off if if you like.
Christian, where can I read up on the definitions of the standards for car mods in these various race groups?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Eventually, and quite soon, you're going to need two cars. One dedicated for track, and the other for street. DO NOT try and build the race car yourself, it takes too long and you'll play catch up the whole time, make a million mistakes, waste money and eventually give up, having never won a race. Buy one that is ready and concentrate on driving it, there's enough to learn without trying to develop a car, which others know how to do better anyway.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Frank, I hear you. Probably best to put it back to stock and go buy a purpose built race car.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:10 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

mark, real simple. i bought a 2003 boxster S and turned it into a PCA club racer, F class. In NASA it runs in GTS3. its not something to do over time. do the whole project at once and do it correctly. http://www.pca.org/portals/cr/2010_PCA_CR_Rules.pdf here is a link to the PCA rule book. all of the information you need is in there.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Doug
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark,
I started with a stock 88 944 Turbo S back in the late 90's I used the car for sunday drives with friends, Porsche club drives, autocross and track days.

I wanted a more focsed car for autocross and track. However I also saw that to have a good track car it would not be a good street car. The 951 was never a daily driver, but I knew that modding it would be tough thing keep it balanced. It would turn into a car not great at the track and not great on the street.

So I chose to get a old normally aspirated 944 just for track and autocross and keep my Turbo S for the street. In my case this was great thing as despite the lack of 100 hp the stripped out 944 was alot more fun on the track. Plus being a 944 NA was cheap to buy and cheaper to operate than a 944 Turbo.

10 year later I am still happy with the decision. I love track time and tend to do very little with the PCA. Still I am happy I have a street porsche too. Not sure what I would do I could not have both. Considering I have family it might be no to the race car.

Hard to say.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

np mark. but the idea suggested by brian a. to sell the boxster s and then take the proceeds and buy a cheaper spec boxster isnt a bad one. i have never driven a spec boxster but i know its a lot cheaper than what i spent on turning my car into a great F class car. dont get me wrong, i love my boxster but it will cost you a lot more to keep competitive than a spec car.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

+1000 for putting it back to stock and either keeping it as your DD or selling it and using the proceeds to help purchase a purpose built race car. Im a little bias but already knowing how a Boxster handles on the track is a good start and Spec Boxsters are a total blast to drive. They're also fairly inexspensive to buy and very cheap to race. Werkstatt has a very nice, already sorted one for sale on this forum. Im sure they'd make you a good deal.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup.. you know too much about the track to not need two cars.. One dedicated for track duty.. one for DD/Weekend use.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And by the way, Doug is entirely right; to do the mods in one fell swoop, but understand one important catch; his was built professionally by one of the best in the business, with more experience than anyone at it. Not by him in his garage. My comment to you was along those lines; get a car that is built properly. In case you haven't noticed, Doug is the scorge of F Stock these days....

Quick Reply: Thinking about making the Boxster 100% track