Sponsored by:

From today's WSJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 AM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gums
I thought Roberto Fata won. That recent photo shoot that I did with him had him holding the cup, it's gorgeous!
Fata won in '08, Scott was 2nd. I won in '09, Scott was 2nd. By doing LeMans this year he missed the Montreal round of Challenge, and there is a real chance he'll finish 2nd again, this time to a very speedy Enzo Potolicchio. I'm not sure how they're doing the drops this year, but it will be close.

To run an R10 at LeMans is beyond my wildest dreams; but I think Scott will have a tinge of doubt if it costs him the Challenge title again. Montreal wasn't on the schedule when the LeMans ride was set up.

Scott's commitment, aside from the obvious financial mountain, is staggering. The guy is completly dedicated. His fitness and training are on par with an F1 driver. I think he races somewhere almost every weekend and when he's not racing he is testing. He hires the best co-drivers and coaches in the world, and he listens to every word they say.

His approach definitely raised the game in Challenge to a new level.

If I had the time and money, I think I'd do the same! (well, pretty much)

Mark
Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's very cool, and I salute his dedication, but I have to say that I don't like killing ants with anvils. When guys do that in Club Racing it seems wrong. Granted, Ferrari Challenge is at the high end, and I'm certainly in no position to say, but we should pick on kids our own size.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know Scott - I raced in the same SCCA region and have met him a few times. I would not say we are friends and never raced each other, but I do know some stuff about him.

Clearly he uses his financial resources to maximize his chances at victory. I first met him when he was running 2 F cars in T1. His coach (Ed Zabinsky) wanted him to move to a car/series that would push him - harder to drive, etc. They were looking at IMSA lites and I had a DSR which is pretty much the same. They came over, at an event, asked a lot of questions, sat in my car, etc. We even agreed to let Scott drive my car at a private test day at HPT, but I had some issues in that race and the race was not ready.

Scott is a rich guy - buys the best cars, coaching and crew. But the guy is dedicated. He listens to his coach, trains hard and really works at the craft. He was neither the friendliest guy around nor was he a jerk. I admire what we is doing. Seems like he is still a couple seconds a lap off the real pro times, but he is working to get better.

You could say he bought the SCCA T1 championship, but all he did was put himself in the most competitive car in the class. Regardless of the car's advantage, you still have to drive the thing and all the other competitors could have also chosen that same car.

FYI - His 'loan company' business was, I think, a payday advance company, and he ran under that 'sponsorship' for a while.

Without commenting about his on-track persona, as I have no experience there, he is a decent enough guy using his financial situation to chase a passion. I think that most of us would love to be in that situation.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

+10 ^^
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Scott is a rich guy - buys the best cars, coaching and crew.
He also hires the best looking models to work the Level 5 paddock and pass out posters, at least he did at Long Beach, and for that I thank him
Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW, I met him at the Challenge race in Montreal. He was seeking advice from my pal and fellow Porsche Instructor Emmanuel Anassis who won the North American Challenge twice in a row and was second in his rookie year. I was not trying to demean Scott, but merely pointing out that he spends a lot to win. He was nicce to talk to, no arrogance, just one of the guys who happened to have a big wallet. There is no lack of that in Challenge racing, Jay Lee and Mike Zoi and Lawrence Stroll come to mind.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
He also hires the best looking models to work the Level 5 paddock and pass out posters, at least he did at Long Beach, and for that I thank him
Pictures or ban.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Pictures or ban.
I didn't take any of my own and this was the only one I could find online, it doesn't really do them justice, especially the short blond girl on the right who had a phenomenal body. I do not disapprove of Mr. Tucker's financial decisions, racecars and otherwise
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

This guy is ok with me! ^^^

Quick Reply: From today's WSJ