Sponsored by:

Switch to Pagid Yellow

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darrell, the Pagid Orange pads are a very old compound, and not really designed for the higher brake temps that we routinely see, especially with stock calipers and sticky tires. Most people have problems with them chunking and pulsing. My son has run the Oranges successfully in his 951, but that has big calipers and has brake cooling ducts fitted. The RS-19 Yellow pads are the ones to run.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Short answer is: Gotta go with Larry here
Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Long answer is: Analysis and conclusions are done on a case-by-case basis, shoot me an e-mail if you have a specific question
Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Brake pads "chunk" when the binder that holds the material all together fails under excessive heat and that same level of heat accelerates pad & rotor wear.

There are many reasons this can happen that include:

1) Wrong choice of pads.

2) Insufficient cooling.

3) Braking technique.

4) Insufficient rotor mass to dissipate the accumulated heat. This is exacerbated with additional grip of DOT-R type tires that puts a LOT more thermal stresses on the brake system. Using larger rotors (with matching calipers) reduces operating temps.

When the front brakes show heat stress while the rears look good, indicates too much front brake bias and that can be aleviated in several ways. One easy way is by using different pad compounds on the rear.

Your brake "engineer" is supposed to help you choose the appropriate pad for ones' application, taking into consideration your tires, vehicle weight, power, track configuration, what kind of cooling you have (if any), rotor and caliper setup, and driver skill levels. Its oftentimes not a "one-size-fits-all solution.

In some cases, measuring peak rotor temps helps one make the correct choice of pads and this is especially important, given the cost of these things,....
Interesting. After reading all of this [great info], doing some internet research [Pagid info; lots of folks complaining about Pagids chunking] and contemplating [smoke from ears], my layman's conclusion is that Pagids really need/require to be bedded properly to avoid chunking. [Which is one reason I now primarily use PFCs].

-td [like most folks, I am my own "brake engineer"]
Old 07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and proper cooling helps to avoid chunking. I've gone through many sets of Pagids and have never had them chunk. Run the cup brake ducts.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Bedding Pagids - do it on the 1st and 2nd lap of a track day, first session out. VERY easy to do.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When bedding in Pagids, the first session I usually do a warm up lap and a couple fast laps and then come in. After that the pads are bedded in and ready to go. I've never had any chunking.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you folks are just using too much brake?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:31 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
On my 996 GT3 I went through front rotors rather quickly until I went to cup brake ducts and RS 19 fronts with RS 14 (black rears. As Steve suggests above, the Black pads in the rear improved brake bias and made the rear rotors do more of the work. With 50 odd track days per season, I was able to do a full season on two sets of pads and one set of front rotors. Previously I would go through front rotors in about 12 days!
The rotors needed replacement because of cracks which exceeded the spec.
Concur. Exactly my experience with same set up. Running AP Rotors, will never change from this set up. Lets not forget about the importance of diff set up and it's affect with straight line braking!

Last edited by inverterman; 07-31-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Posted wrong quote

Quick Reply: Switch to Pagid Yellow